Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Blog of Armenians living in Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog of Armenians living in Mexico

There are some 400 Armenians in Mexico, I came across a blog/website of them while searching for sites about genocide in Spanish, site is in Espanol btw :

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

This is great news, really. I had no idea.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Yep

In addition Mexico's foreign minister to the US is Armenian (Arturo Sarukhan, his grandfather was Armenian Russian, surname Artur Sarukhanyan).

Also Armen Ohanian was a famous Armenian dancer from Baku who settled in Mexico with her husband who was Mexican economist.

There weren't alot of Armenian who settled in Mexico during the genocide as there was political instability due to the civil war, however the main influx happened during the early 1970s due to the Videla dictatorship in Argentina (googled Dirty War Argentina) which forced many Armenians and Argentines of all descents to escape the "disappearances" of Argentine citizens

Comment

Pedro, good info. I am not surprised. I have always said that no matter where you go in this world there will be an Armenian representative there in one form or another. Try North Pole amigo, I kid you not.

I didn’t know that Mexico’s foreign minister is Armenian. That is cool. Go Arturo, I like his name modification for the office.

You know, this reminds me of a sad quote by William Saroyan who said this after the AG:

"I should like to see any power in this world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose music is unheard, and whose prayers are no more answered. Go ahead, destroy this race! Destroy Armenia! See if you can do it. Send them from their homes into the desert. Let them have neither bread nor water. Burn their homes and churches. Then, see if they will not laugh again, see if they will not sing and pray again. For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a New Armenia."

I don't agree with him but I like what he said.

Comment

Yeah, he has A LOT of great quotes, one of my favorite writers.
          THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Armenian dude in Cabo

Taken from Cilicia.com

One Mexican Armenian in Cabo

As I’m waiting for a meeting to start I thought I would share a story.

The warm weather is noticeably slipping away, even in Los Angeles where the change in seasons is relatively mild. So, when I was asked to be the +1 on a company retreat to Cabo San Lucas last week, who was I to refuse…summer weather stretched indefinitely, ridiculously good lobster, and if I surfed I would be one happy camper…but hey, two of three is great.

My first order of business was to scope out the people in our group and determine who would most likely be up for going on an adventurous scuba diving excursion with me. I gently zeroed in on two people who reside in Manhattan Beach and brought their boogie boards along for the weekend. It seemed like a no-brainer and my persuasion skills resulting in a trip to the concierge to set everything up. You don’t need to be certified in Mexico to go scuba diving…gotta love it!

So, last Saturday as we are walking into the scuba shop our new friend asks humorously, “Hey, isn’t that Glendale’s flag?”. I look over and see a little table top Armenian flag sitting next to the Mexican flag. You know what they say… when two Armenians meet…so, I ask and it turns out that Mike runs the Scuba Shop and is Mexican Armenian. He was born in Mexico City and has been living in Cabo for more than 10 years. Mike clearly enjoyed the opportunity to speak in Armenian to someone. His grandfather taught him the language as a child and dreams of one day visiting Armenia and learning to speak fluently. He is the only Armenian living in Cabo, however knows of many living in rural areas throughout Mexico. It felt so endearing to hear him express the innocence in the spirit of his heritage. If you find yourself in Cabo visit the scuba shop in the lighthouse and say "Parev" to Mike...you'll make his day

Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera to take a picture but it was pretty cool to meet this guy in a place I wouldn’t have expected to run into local Armenians (but, I still think Scuba Diving was a tad bit cooler!).

Comment

A famous Armenian Mexican : Paris Maria Pismis (born Maria Sukiasyan in Konstantinopolous)

Paris Maria Pişmiş (January 30, 1911 – August 1, 1999) was an astronomer of Armenian descent.

Pişmiş was born Mari Sukiasyan in Constantinople, Ottoman Empire. She worked in Mexico from 1940 until her death there in 1999. She was the first woman to graduate from the scientific faculty of Istanbul University.

Pişmiş studied among others the kinematics of galaxies, H II nebulae, the structure of open star clusters and planetary nebulae. She compiled the catalogue Pismis of 22 open clusters and 2 globular clusters in the southern hemisphere.[1

Check out http://www.tayabeixo.org/biografias/pismis.htm (In Spanish)

Comment

Working...
              X