Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turks are visiting the AG museum in shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
    In principle, your words imply the truth maybe. But i am not sure about that happening in reality. Countries like USA, New Zeland or Australia maybe it is easy to seperate "patriotism as a popular figure" to "nationalism". I mean, just to feel good about where you live. This is ok.

But, at least according to me, nationalism is a very different issue. Because, first of all, it is based on a "constructed notion", the nation. This phneomena leads us the nation-building process, to put it mildly, means assimilation.

Secondly, through the history, nationalism defined itself to be against "the other". For this reason i see a diference between USA-New Zelanad etc. Because, in these countries (except USA), there is no other nation to be against. Everybody is "other", you see
    ardakilic, execellent post. You articulated my exact sentiments better than I ever could.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      ardakilic, execellent post. You articulated my exact sentiments better than I ever could.
      Thank you. For both compliments and humble.

In fact, personally, i cannot accept the concept of "patriotism as a popular figure" because once it is accepted, we cannot determine where to stop. However, logically, i have to accept somebody feel good emotions to their country. But i think it is still a dangerous concept, i mean the concept of country. It implies much more things than "living place". Not for a daily usage, but a philosophical aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
        Thank you. For both compliments and humble.

In fact, personally, i cannot accept the concept of "patriotism as a popular figure" because once it is accepted, we cannot determine where to stop. However, logically, i have to accept somebody feel good emotions to their country. But i think it is still a dangerous concept, i mean the concept of country. It implies much more things than "living place". Not for a daily usage, but a philosophical aspect.
        You're welcome.

What you just wrote mirrors what lal has been trying to express I believe.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Ardkilic, I agree, my friend. The concept I use is help others no matter who they are. Become a good person before anything else. Be fair but don't drop your gloves because this world never does. Be proud of your country but don't be your country (a terrible nationalist basically). Respect everyone regardless of who they are or where they are from. And most importantly, APPRECIATE and judge properly no matter who stands before you (if you have to judge of course, otherwise judging or criticizing is wrong). If a person does all this which is very simple and easy when you look at it, his/her countries banner will automatically rise. Who represents the country? The flag or the people? Without the people, there wouldn't even be a flag. People don't always look at it this way. They forget what makes a country what it is and if a person is a proper persn, he will represent his country properly and most importantly make this world a better place to live in. We may be from different places but there is one place that we are all from, Earth, and we all are humans. We have to help each other any way we can.

People do so many things in the name of their country (supposedly) or religion or whatever but don't do the most important thing(s), what their supposed to do. I try to always go with the one worm spoils all the apples motto because it really is true. I put pressure on this point because say a person has never met an Armenian. If he meets one for the first time and the Armenian acts like an ass, that person will think most Armenians are probably also like him. There are many people like this. That's why we all have to work on ourselves first. That's EXTREMELY important and what matters the most. If a few bad people can gather others to join them, a few good people can sure as hell do the same. Let's keep going on with that hope and inspiration, that's what kept Armenia alive after the Genocide. That's what will keep us always going. No one can take that away from you, no one.
          THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
            Ardkilic, I agree, my friend. The concept I use is help others no matter who they are. Become a good person before anything else. Be fair but don't drop your gloves because this world never does. Be proud of your country but don't be your country (a terrible nationalist basically). Respect everyone regardless of who they are or where they are from. And most importantly, APPRECIATE and judge properly no matter who stands before you (if you have to judge of course, otherwise judging or criticizing is wrong). If a person does all this which is very simple and easy when you look at it, his/her countries banner will automatically rise. Who represents the country? The flag or the people? Without the people, there wouldn't even be a flag. People don't always look at it this way. They forget what makes a country what it is and if a person is a proper persn, he will represent his country properly and most importantly make this world a better place to live in. We may be from different places but there is one place that we are all from, Earth, and we all are humans. We have to help each other any way we can.

People do so many things in the name of their country (supposedly) or religion or whatever but don't do the most important thing(s), what their supposed to do. I try to always go with the one worm spoils all the apples motto because it really is true. I put pressure on this point because say a person has never met an Armenian. If he meets one for the first time and the Armenian acts like an ass, that person will think most Armenians are probably also like him. There are many people like this. That's why we all have to work on ourselves first. That's EXTREMELY important and what matters the most. If a few bad people can gather others to join them, a few good people can sure as hell do the same. Let's keep going on with that hope and inspiration, that's what kept Armenia alive after the Genocide. That's what will keep us always going. No one can take that away from you, no one.
            Well I have started to dislike the term "National Interest", it is used by several world governments, but National Interest sounds like its a polite world to announce racist policies. I think that some nations should stop using this term and instead not just look at their own interests but look at the interests of the whole region and world. If for example the Turkish government stopped looking at its own interests and instead took on some morals I don't think they would be denying the genocide.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
              Well I have started to dislike the term "National Interest", it is used by several world governments, but National Interest sounds like its a polite world to announce racist policies. I think that some nations should stop using this term and instead not just look at their own interests but look at the interests of the whole region and world. If for example the Turkish government stopped looking at its own interests and instead took on some morals I don't think they would be denying the genocide.
              When you hear the term "National interest" being used it's time to duck because someone somewhere is about to get reamed.

Comment

Good points Arda, you too Steph. National Interest, lol, people don't really understand what the nations real interests are most of the time.

Comment

Good points Arda, you too Steph. National Interest, lol, people don't really understand what the nations real interests are most of the time.
                  More importantly, the definition of "National Interests" differ according to who is talking, for example, Arda & lal may say that it's in turkey's national interest to recognise the AG whilst Ferdi (RIP) would say the exact opposite.

Comment

Steph, Ferdi's been banned???

Comment

Steph, Ferdi's been banned???
                      Ferdi has not been banned.

Comment

Working...
                      X