Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Istanbul Street Named After A Greek Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Istanbul Street Named After A Greek Doctor

Istanbul Street Named After A Greek Doctor

In the Yeşilköy neighborhood of Istanbul, a street was named after a Greek citizen, Konstantin Kalangos, a dedicated doctor of the neighborhood for 65 years, who died four years ago.

Bia news center - İstanbul

25-12-2008

The Bakırköy Municipality in Istanbul named one of its streets in the neighborhood of Yeşilköy after Konstantin Kalangos, a Greek doctor who worked in the neighborhood for decades. The name of the Çardaklı Street became Dr. Kalangos Street.

Dr. Kalangos, who died four years ago at the age of 83, was known as Yeşilköy’s “Lokman Hekim” (a folk term for someone who treats every kind of disease).

Erzen: We are very proud

Bakırköy Mayor Ateş Ünal Erzen said that Dr. Kalangos was known as "Dr. Konstantin Kalangos who treats everything" not only in his own neighborhood, but in the surrounding neighborhoods as well:

“Dr. Kalangos did his profession for 65 years, with an amateur’s enthusiasm. He was a friend of poor and broke. We are proud to have his legacy live in Bakırköy. Moreover, this ceremony is indicative of the cultural mosaic that exists in Bakırköy. Ethnic origin is every citizen’s honor. The important thing is the ability of all the ethnic origins to live together.”

“My father would not only treat the sick”

Dr. Kalangos’ son, Dr. Akhsentios Duri Kalangos, a doctor in Switzerland, who was at the ceremony as well, said he was very happy. He hopes that this will not stay as an exception.

“My father would not only treat the sick. He would buy the medicine of those who could not afford. He respected human because they were humans and would teach this to others. He taught these to me, too.” (TK/TB)

Link

Have you been to Yeşiköy Alex? I love it there. This year in May I was reading an article written by a Greek woman who came back to Istanbul after many years and came to Yesilkoy to find that it had changed somewhat. "But" she said "the Yeşiköy Aile Pansiyonu was still there". Baaamm.. at the same time I was reading that article I was lookng for a hotel to stay in and they were all full so I called the place and they had room. It was a very old mansion turned into a pansiyon, Excellent. The owner was an old Jewish man, Isaac amca... He told us a lot of stories about the place. The Nazi Germans spies had used the place for a while, all these interesting people that stayed there etc.

On the wall was a picture of a man on the moon and it had an autograph and when I asked him about it he told me that Neil Armstrong had stayed there 3 times !!! I was very surprised and he told me "yes he came 3 times looking for Noahs Ark"... I had heard about that but him staying there was really strange and very nice to hear.

If anybody needs to stay in Istanbul for a few days you should all stay there instead of the other fancy hotels. It is just by the sea and walking distance to a superb raki-fish street bustling with Turkish and Greek music. I'm glad that kind of place still exiss in the city. But be ready for NO luxury and a VERY OLD place at the pansiyon. It was clean though and extremely cheap

Comment

What is its name hitite? I am from Bakirkoy because.

Comment

Its called "Yeşilköy Aile Pansiyonu"

Comment

Arda, I'm from Bakirkoy too!

That pensiyon sounds like a great place! My dad lives in Yesilkoy, and it's a wonderful town.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
            Arda, I'm from Bakirkoy too!
            Oooh, what a world! It should be a miracle.

Comment

I spent some sommers as a kid in my aunts home in Bakirkoy by the lunapark that used to come summers to the beach.I remember loving to go the enclosed womans swimming area a lot!
              "All truth passes through three stages:
              First, it is ridiculed;
              Second, it is violently opposed; and
              Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by hitite View Post
                Have you been to Yeşiköy Alex? I love it there. This year in May I was reading an article written by a Greek woman who came back to Istanbul after many years and came to Yesilkoy to find that it had changed somewhat. "But" she said "the Yeşiköy Aile Pansiyonu was still there". Baaamm.. at the same time I was reading that article I was lookng for a hotel to stay in and they were all full so I called the place and they had room. It was a very old mansion turned into a pansiyon, Excellent. The owner was an old Jewish man, Isaac amca... He told us a lot of stories about the place. The Nazi Germans spies had used the place for a while, all these interesting people that stayed there etc.

On the wall was a picture of a man on the moon and it had an autograph and when I asked him about it he told me that Neil Armstrong had stayed there 3 times !!! I was very surprised and he told me "yes he came 3 times looking for Noahs Ark"... I had heard about that but him staying there was really strange and very nice to hear.

If anybody needs to stay in Istanbul for a few days you should all stay there instead of the other fancy hotels. It is just by the sea and walking distance to a superb raki-fish street bustling with Turkish and Greek music. I'm glad that kind of place still exiss in the city. But be ready for NO luxury and a VERY OLD place at the pansiyon. It was clean though and extremely cheap
                I haven`t.To be honest I haven`t been to Turkey at all.Would love to visit Turkey some time.Especially Istanbul but also my forefathers places in northern Turkey and other places in Turkey...

Comment

Working...
                X