Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turk Gives Away Family Land as Genocide Reparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turk Gives Away Family Land as Genocide Reparation

Turk Gives Away Family Land as Genocide Reparation

Blogian on 09 Jan 2009

Encouraged by the recent apology to Armenians by thousands of Turkish intelectuals and disissidents, a Turkish citizen has done the unprecedented: Berzan Boti (not his real name) of Siirt is giving all the land he inherited to an Assyrian organization. Along with Armenians, indigenous Assyrians were also victims of the WWI genocide at the hands of Ottoman Empire’s government during WWI:

Boti’s letter to Sabri Atman, founder and director of the Assyrian Seyfo Center in Europe who will now be responsible for the returned land (south of the Lake Van), states:

“When I found out that the properties that I and my brothers inherited from our father wasn’t our own, but properties taken from the murdered Assyrians in 1915 I felt an indescribable feeling of guilt and shame. I’ve been thinking long and hard before I have come to this decision. I tried to put myself in their position. I have personally apologized to every Assyrian and Armenian I’ve meet. But this does not get rid of the crime our ancestors committed. Even if I am personally not responsible for what happened in 1915, I felt as I had to do more than just to apologize. Finally, I came to the decision to give back all properties that I inherited from my forefathers to Seyfo Center, who struggles for a confession of the Seyfo genocide in 1915”.
    Link

Re: Turk Gives Away Family Land as Genocide Reparation

One word ... WOW!
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
      One word ... WOW!
      I'm impressed too.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
        I'm impressed too.
        My jaw dropped.

Comment

Wow that is impressive, stuff like this makes one think friendly relations can be possible and maybe Turks will recognise what their ancestors did

Comment

Hard to believe. It is on ONE blog and not mentioned ANY place in ANY media.

Comment

Yeah bro, but Blogian is fairly accurate and there is a link to the media at the Blogian site :

Comment

Now THAT is unprecedented. That's beyond a mere recognition of the crime. On the other hand, it makes me think that these kinds of actions are only going to fuel Turkey's fears of reparations should they recognize the genocide. I don't believe there are enough progressive thinkers in Turkey who chose morality over politics and blind patriotism to push the government to do the right thing.

Comment

It's these kinds of people that Turkey is afraid of. One spark is enough to set a fire.
                  THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Kurdish Doctor Issues Statement on Turkish Genocide of Assyrians

Posted GMT 9-24-2009 9:46:53

Siirt, Turkey (AINA) -- Dr. Ekrem Bilek, the president of the Medical Society of the city of Siirt, located in south-east Turkey, and who is a Kurd, has issued a statement on the Turkish genocide of Assyrians, Greeks and Armenians in World War One. The genocide, called Seyfo in Assyrian, began on April 24, 1915 and over the course of the next three years claimed 750,000 Assyrians (75%), 500,000 Greeks and 1.5 million Armenians. The genocide was targeted at the three main Christian groups of the Ottoman Empire.

Dr. Bilek's statement follows:

In order for past sorrows and tribulations not to be repeated again and for those with inter-cultural differences to live together in a harmonious way, one must directly confront his or her own history. Normally, the first degree of responsibility for the crimes that are committed and that continue to be committed against humanity falls upon political authorities and powers. However, to remain silent about them is to indirectly become a party to the same crimes.

Anyone who sides with humanitarian values, especially intellectuals and democrats, have the responsibility to confront, condemn and punish these crimes. Fulfilling this responsibility by prosecuting the culprits will contribute to inter-faith dialogue and for cultures to live together in peace.

Any leading action taken by individuals, even though it may be considered a small step, will enable political powers and authorities to confront their past as well as give hope for past grievances to be cleared away. Most importantly such actions will prevent further tragedies from taking place and will contribute towards peace prevailing amongst peoples. In light of this consideration and the humanitarian action taken by Mr Berzan Boti and Mr Sabri Atman, I think similarly, this will mark the beginning of the dialogue between the Kurdish and Assyrian peoples.

While wholeheartedly supporting this humanitarian action which took place late last year, as responsibility falls upon any intellectual, similarly, I would like to point out that I impose upon myself to build the first house for the first family that will return to its land. I hope that this additional small step taken by myself will contribute further towards the peace, brotherhood and tolerance of differences and towards individuals living together freely in peace.

Dr. Ekrem Bilek
                    President, Siirt Medical Society

The Seyfo Center, an Assyrian Genocide Research Center, contributed to this report.

Link

Comment

Working...
                    X