Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

From the 'revisionist'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the 'revisionist'

For the girl who accuses me of being a revisionist In 1915, shortly after my great grandfather was gunned down in Cyprus by the Turkish Secret Police, the authorities went after his family, believing they were smuggling guns into Turkey. Araxy Galustian was 15 years old. Her father had a farm outside of Moosh. When the soldiers came Araxy was hiding in the barn behind the hay stores where she would pray without the teasing of her brothers and sisters. The soldiers rounded up the family, her Father, her Mother, her 3 brothers and 3 sisters, the hired help, everyone. Her oldest sister was taken in the barn and raped, Araxy knew she could not make a sound or she would share her fate. The soldiers were reprimanded by their Captain, and called back to ranks, there was much more serious matters to attend to. When her Mother started screaming hysterically and beat on the man whom raped her daughter, the Sergeant shot her in the face, killing her. This was fortunate as she was not to endure the horror that ensued. Her Father knew from news around the province that they all were about to die, but this was to be one of the most infamous events in the history of the Genocide. The Captain demanded to know where they had hidden the guns my Great Grandfather had sent from Cyprus. As Araxy watched from a crack between the boards, the hired men were executed one after the other, each time the Captain would scream at her Father, “Where are the Guns!”. When her Father remained silent, this incensed the Captain, who scream in her Father’s face, “You will tell me! Where are the guns!”. He began with the oldest son. He pulled out his saber and cut off the end of the boys’ foot. He said, “Run boy, run! If you run far enough we will let you live!” . The boy, screaming in pain hobbled several yards before collapsing , and when he did the Captain had his attack dogs, large German Shepards, sicced on the boy, tearing him apart. Her father fell on his knees and wept, begging them to stop. The Captain screamed “Tell me where the guns are!” Her father only shook his head. Silent tears fell down Araxy face. She dare make no sound. In turn each of her brothers and sisters was killed this way the girls having a hand cut off the boys a foot. Oddly , each of the children tried to reach the point where their oldest brother had fallen, only to be ravaged by the dogs, each time the Captain demanding the guns. When only her Father was left the Captain told her Father he would spare his life, if only he would tell where the guns were. Her Father said, “I have no reason to live.” At this the Captain, thoroughly disgusted, took out his pistol and shot him dead. The remains were gathered in a pile and set ablaze with gasoline. The house was looted and the cattle taken, then the barn was set on fire. The soldiers left and Araxy was trapped in the barn, waiting to die. Miraculously, it began to rain. Araxy escaped and was secretly smuggled out of the country by Christian Missionaries. My Grandmother was her first cousin, my Aunt was named after her. This story was told to me as a horror story as a child to scare me. The details I learned from my Uncle Rueben before he died. He had heard this directly from my great cousin before she died in Chicago in the 1930’s. I resent anyone calling me a revisionist and I think I am owed an apology. My family suffered greatly from the Genocide. Never Forget!

Re: From the 'revisionist'

Originally posted by Brer Rabbit
    For the girl who accuses me of being a revisionist In 1915, shortly after my great grandfather was gunned down in Cyprus by the Turkish Secret Police, the authorities went after his family, believing they were smuggling guns into Turkey. Araxy Galustian was 15 years old. Her father had a farm outside of Moosh. When the soldiers came Araxy was hiding in the barn behind the hay stores where she would pray without the teasing of her brothers and sisters. The soldiers rounded up the family, her Father, her Mother, her 3 brothers and 3 sisters, the hired help, everyone. Her oldest sister was taken in the barn and raped, Araxy knew she could not make a sound or she would share her fate. The soldiers were reprimanded by their Captain, and called back to ranks, there was much more serious matters to attend to. When her Mother started screaming hysterically and beat on the man whom raped her daughter, the Sergeant shot her in the face, killing her. This was fortunate as she was not to endure the horror that ensued. Her Father knew from news around the province that they all were about to die, but this was to be one of the most infamous events in the history of the Genocide. The Captain demanded to know where they had hidden the guns my Great Grandfather had sent from Cyprus. As Araxy watched from a crack between the boards, the hired men were executed one after the other, each time the Captain would scream at her Father, “Where are the Guns!”. When her Father remained silent, this incensed the Captain, who scream in her Father’s face, “You will tell me! Where are the guns!”. He began with the oldest son. He pulled out his saber and cut off the end of the boys’ foot. He said, “Run boy, run! If you run far enough we will let you live!” . The boy, screaming in pain hobbled several yards before collapsing , and when he did the Captain had his attack dogs, large German Shepards, sicced on the boy, tearing him apart. Her father fell on his knees and wept, begging them to stop. The Captain screamed “Tell me where the guns are!” Her father only shook his head. Silent tears fell down Araxy face. She dare make no sound. In turn each of her brothers and sisters was killed this way the girls having a hand cut off the boys a foot. Oddly , each of the children tried to reach the point where their oldest brother had fallen, only to be ravaged by the dogs, each time the Captain demanding the guns. When only her Father was left the Captain told her Father he would spare his life, if only he would tell where the guns were. Her Father said, “I have no reason to live.” At this the Captain, thoroughly disgusted, took out his pistol and shot him dead. The remains were gathered in a pile and set ablaze with gasoline. The house was looted and the cattle taken, then the barn was set on fire. The soldiers left and Araxy was trapped in the barn, waiting to die. Miraculously, it began to rain. Araxy escaped and was secretly smuggled out of the country by Christian Missionaries. My Grandmother was her first cousin, my Aunt was named after her. This story was told to me as a horror story as a child to scare me. The details I learned from my Uncle Rueben before he died. He had heard this directly from my great cousin before she died in Chicago in the 1930’s. I resent anyone calling me a revisionist and I think I am owed an apology. My family suffered greatly from the Genocide. Never Forget!
    Thanks you for sharing. When you start to think about just how many families suffered that same fate the anger starts to grow. We'll never forget and never forgive.

Comment

Re: From the 'revisionist'

With all honesty, I fail to see your point; in fact, I don't see how the sufferings of a person's ancestors can explain or elucidate the nature of the person's views a couple of generations later? [b] I can base my assessment only on your statements and views, expressed in public.
      Furthermore, the fact that you have chosen to "refute" my "accusation" with a story that you perfectly knew will touch the hearts of the Armenian members of this forums, instead of rational arguments and elucidation can only reinforce my suspicions.

As for the veracity of your story, I can neither verify nor falsify it. As a matter of fact, other "Armenians" have used in the past such stories in order to make credible their revisionist statements and agenda. My past experience advises me to be risk averse and opt for skepticism.
      However, I'll keep in mind that you're a "professional Storyteller" and it is very unlikely - not impossible - to be called Galustian in Moosh.

You may or may not be of Armenian descent - knowing that I may be wrong, I chose to assume that you are not - but, the following reflects revisionist views:

1- The number of the victims may be debatable
      Today I heard an annoucement of 675,000 Iraqi dead since this war began. The government and the military both insist that the figure has never been higher than 50,000 and discounted the higher figure as 'unrealistic'. This is what we in America call 'spin'. If you support the war effort (as my neighbor who has a son in Iraq does) you believe the administration. If you are a cynic who believes the war was provocative (as I do ) you are more likely to believe the latter. This is a fine example of the varied view of the massacres of 1915. If you grew up in Turkey you are likely to believe the spin that Turkish history books recount. If you are a decendent of the survivors, your view is very different.
      (The above is what some of us call the "revisionist spin." A sneaky way to say:
      Numbers and facts are debatable because the different sides have different perceptions and perspectives.)

2- The Civil War argument
      The Armenian relatives I lost were all Turkish, that much I should make clear.
      To those of you who seem to hate everything Turkish I would remind you that nearly all of those killed were Turkish!
      (So, it was simply *urkish people killing other *urkish people? The revisionist thesis of the "Civil War?")

3- What is a genocide?
      It is noteworthy that you have started only two (non-introductory) threads; one where you wonder why some think how the Armenian Genocide may not be a genocide - i.e. de facto debatable, the other to say that the numbers may be debatable and subjective.
      Do you expect me to believe that an apparently educated "55 year old" person who claims "It has become my personal endeavor to teach people about this terrible genocide" did not have an answer to the question why the State Department does not recognize the Armenian Genocide?

4- Armenians have lived in peace and harmony with *urks, those events were unusual and do not reflect the fact that most *urks were "Armenian friendly;" only some "extremists" were involved
      especially after so much time has past. It is good to hear that Armenians and Turkish people are living together in peace, thank you for saying so.
      (Of course, as revisionists maintain, Armenians and *urks lived in peace and harmony before the Genocide...and now, also, after the Genocide.)
      They...died at the hands of extrememist, Turkish people are no worse than Americans, French, or Armenians. Hatred only begets hatred.
      (Of course, *urks are loved by all their neighbors and they have always brought peace and prosperity wherever they have settled. How further pro-*urkish revisionist propaganda can go?)
      I am surprised by the number of posts showing such hatred towards the Turks. These people (my people) who died so long ago were Turkish. It is akin to hating all Americans because of the Policies of President Bush, it is not a rational comparison.

5- It happened a long time, we should forget and get over.
      remember, this happened 90 years ago. Turkish Armenians do not dwell on this, why should they.
      (Really? Who authorized you to represent the survivors of the Armenian Genocide?
      Note: According to Brer Rabbit, Diaspora Armenians fleeing the genocide of Armenians in Western Armenia are "*urkish" Armenians.)
      Armenians and Armenian Americans need to realise this and move on. No good can come from projecting hatred on an entire culture because of one radical faction of that culture.
      my Grandmother was the one who taught me about forgiveness, something that seems still beyond your grasp, Siamanto
      (Nice touch! Exploiting , again, the memory of those who suffered to make yourself credible?)

6- Armenians should and would be content with a simple recognition
      What we have issues about is the government of Turkey denying that these events took place,

Note: I have chosen to auto censor the words "*urk," "*urkish" or *urkic" because it is commonly perceived as unpleasant and offending, evokes unpleasant emotions and imagery and is pregnant with immoral and evil connotations!
      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Working...
      X