Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Daniel Decker back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Decker back again

Beyond Politics: American singer campaigns for Armenian Genocide recognition through songs

Becker has made it his mission to bring awareness about the Genocide to non-Armenians through his songs

By Siranuysh Gevorgyan
    ArmeniaNow reporter Published: 09 October, 2009

While currently many people are sure that the Armenian authorities should not open the closed border unless Turkey recognizes the Armenian Genocide, for the past eight years an American artist, without raising any noise or getting involved in politics, has made the genocide a message in song.

In 2001 singer and composer Daniel Decker for the first time heard Armenian composer Ara Gevorgyan’s popular work called ‘Mush,’ and as he says, “I immediately fell in love with it.”

‘Mush’ made Decker find Gevorgyan, and their collaboration started, and it continues up to now. Decker confesses that at the moment he has more Armenian friends in Armenia and California (where he currently lives) than non-Armenian.

Recently Decker was again in Armenia where he collaborated with Gevorgyan on a new song called ‘Love Each Other’ (Siretsek Zmimyants), which is about peace in the world.

Decker remembers that a few years ago the music of ‘Mush’ impressed him so much, that he immediately wanted to write lyrics for it.

“I knew that it was the melody that I wanted to use and I proposed the idea of turning it into a song that tells a story, so I chose the story of Noah and Ararat,” Decker says.

Gevorgyan and Decker renamed ‘Mush’ ‘Noah’s Prayer,’ and they presented it for the first time in 2002, during the Independence Day of Armenia’s first republic (May 28), at an open-air concert held in Sardarapat memorial.

“It was really an amazing experience to sing it in Sardarapat, for the president and the Catholicos,” Decker says.

He says that he started studying the Armenian History during writing lyrics for this song.

“I started reading about the Genocide and it really gripped me because as an American I never heard of it before and I started talking about it to my family, friends and other Americans. Most of them had never heard of it before,” Decker recalls.

The musician says that in his next song – ‘Adana’ he considered it to be his duty to tell about the “forgotten Armenian Genocide.” He sang this song in 2005, at the 90th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.

“This is not the kind of song that you think, oh this is gonna be a hit, it is not something you expect to be played on the radio. I just thought to encourage Armenians a little bit, that's why I tell that God has not forgotten about the Armenians, one day he will wipe the tears from their eyes,” Decker says.

‘Adana’ was translated into 18 languages and sung by different singers, including a Turkish singer.

“It is important for Turkish people to know the truth about their own history and maybe some of them will learn what happened from this song,” Decker says.

Now he tries to inform representatives of other nations about the Armenian Genocide.
    “Wherever I go I address the issue bringing more awareness about it to non-Armenians. My songs have been a great vehicle to push the issue,” he says.

Currently Decker works on his new album, which will be have only Armenian songs. He says with pride that he is the first American who will release an album with only Armenian songs. Half work of the album is already done, and the singer hopes to finish the rest by spring.

“If I am supporting Armenia, if I am trying to help the Armenian people, my next step is to sing songs in their own language, to show honor to them. I wanted it to be something that would lift the Armenian spirit. Typically Armenians don’t know that I sing in Armenian so during the concert I say I prepared a little surprise for you and I start “erb vor bacvin drnern huso” and then they go crazy because it is somebody showing honor to the Armenian culture,” Decker tells.

After finishing the works connected with the album (preliminary to be called ‘Armenian by Choice’), the singer plans to have his first solo concert in Yerevan.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Working...
X