Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian, Je_wish Leaders Launch Grassroots Petition for Genocide Recognition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian, Je_wish Leaders Launch Grassroots Petition for Genocide Recognition

Armenian, Je_wish Leaders Launch Grassroots Petition for Genocide Recognition

By Asbarez Staff on Feb 3rd, 2010

BOSTON—Armenian and Je_wish community leaders here launched an online petition urging people to sign a letter to President Obama and the Congress that calls for the immediate passage of H. Res. 252, the Armenian Genocide Resolution pending in Congress, announced the Armenian National Committee of Massachusetts.

Joining the ANC of Mass. in the Coalition to Recognize the Armenian Genocide and in launching the grassroots campaign are Armenian American Action Committee of Massachusetts, leaders of the state’s Armenian and xxxish communities, as well as Investors Against Genocide—a non-profit working to discourage investment in countries that have and are currently committing Genocide.

The dialogue group was initiated by Rabbi Howard L. Jaffe of Temple Isaiah, Lexington, Mass. Rabbi Jaffe first advocated recognition of the Armenian Genocide in October 2007, when he told the New York Times that he must do what is “right and righteous.” In 2008, he co-authored an article with Lexington resident Laura Boghosian that condemned the Anti-Defamation League’s lobbying for the Turkish government and called on the Je_wish community to join in efforts to recognize the Armenian Genocide. He also invited the local Armenian community to participate in a joint Genocide-Holocaust commemoration at the temple, inviting Dr. Richard Hovannisian to speak on the parallels between the Armenian Genocide and the Holocaust.

“This initiative is important because it demonstrates how on a grassroots level, in both the xxxish and Armenian communities, there is a demand for justice for the Armenian Genocide. It is vital that the powerful in Washington, whether they are in the State Department or in lobbying organizations, realize that they will be called to task when they sacrifice principle and historical truth for political expediency,” said Laura Boghosian ANC of Massachusetts member and co-chair of the petition drive.

The Armenian-American community in Massachusetts has been engaged in healthy dialogue with its Je_wish counterparts since the 2007 rift between the local Anti-Defamation League branch broke with the organization’s national leader, Abraham Foxman, by recognizing the Genocide. This campaign was a result of grassroots activism by Mass. Armenian community members to distance towns and cities affiliated with the ADL’s “No Place for Hate” program. The impetus of the latter campaign was the ADL’s continued support of Turkey and Turkish lobby and its blatant denial of the Armenian Genocide.

Sign the petition: www.change.org/recognizearmeniangenocide

Link

Re: Armenian, Je_wish Leaders Launch Grassroots Petition for Genocide Recognition

All these years they fought against us in most hypocratic and discusting manner. Destroying whatever political capital we created and denying us justice for many decades. You can bet they have something up their sleeve, i would keep my gaurd up when your enemy makes a gesture like that. We did not make them our enemy, they decided to help our enemy fight us better thus they started this xxxx. Them switching sides like that is a warning of how dangerous the xxxish politicalgroups can be-pretending to be your friend one minute-and kicking you when your down the next. If they want to help somebody let them go help the palastinians first. There is something inherently wrong with demanding justice for a racial crime while one of the parties demanding it is commiting it at the same time.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Re: Armenian, Je_wish Leaders Launch Grassroots Petition for Genocide Recognition

Excellent point. Its interesting that this is happening in Massachusetts, the same state where Armenians from Watertown had very vocal opposition to the ADL's J ewish Chairman denying the Armenian genocide just a few months ago. It could be that they're trying to save face in that state by letting some J ews make noise about the genocide for a bit. That could be all it is, or as you said they could have something up their sleeve. They might be slowly trying in the long-term to be co-supporters of a genocide bill in an attempt to control/regulate the debate, which is a favorite tactic of theirs (just like in the Palestinian conflict where the most anti- and pro- Palestinian people in any public debate end up being J ews... in fact I've never heard of the Palestinian issue being raised publicly in America by anybody else other than J ews, and thus they are able to control the debate from both sides). They have been spending god knows how much money opposing our genocide recognition, and all of a sudden they want to hold hands with us. You're right that Armenians should be on their gaurd, but most probably Armenians will end up being sob-sisters with them, because most Armenians in America are pathetic like that.

Now, does this mean that many J ews don't sincerely want the Armenian Genocide to be recognized? I would say no, many of them probably feel its the right thing to do. My words and criticisms are not directed at an individual level, I'm speaking exclusively about their political leadership, which has shown to be the most heinous, dishonest, and hypocritical in this country, and this includes their religious leaders who routinely get involved in politics. Why doesn't this rabbi raise the issue of the J ewish lobby being allied to the Turkish lobby and working against genocide recognition? Until the rabbi does this, I will have to believe that his main motivation is to try to "get in deep" with the Armenian side in an attempt to steer the debate. If the rabbi publicly raises this issue about the J ewish lobby, I will gladly eat my words and sing his praise.

Armenians should still use the rabbi's endorsement, I'm not saying we should tell him to f*ck off or anything, we should use every advantage we can. But I just hope no one sincerely believes any of this...

Comment

Well if there is a link it's likely due to the recent increase of tensions between offical ankara and offical tel aviv.

BTW: Armsurvival, do you have a link to an article about the adl chairman of MA denying the Genocide?
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
        to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
          Excellent point. Its interesting that this is happening in Massachusetts, the same state where Armenians from Watertown had very vocal opposition to the ADL's J ewish Chairman denying the Armenian genocide just a few months ago. It could be that they're trying to save face in that state by letting some J ews make noise about the genocide for a bit. That could be all it is, or as you said they could have something up their sleeve. They might be slowly trying in the long-term to be co-supporters of a genocide bill in an attempt to control/regulate the debate, which is a favorite tactic of theirs (just like in the Palestinian conflict where the most anti- and pro- Palestinian people in any public debate end up being J ews... in fact I've never heard of the Palestinian issue being raised publicly in America by anybody else other than J ews, and thus they are able to control the debate from both sides). They have been spending god knows how much money opposing our genocide recognition, and all of a sudden they want to hold hands with us. You're right that Armenians should be on their gaurd, but most probably Armenians will end up being sob-sisters with them, because most Armenians in America are pathetic like that.

Now, does this mean that many J ews don't sincerely want the Armenian Genocide to be recognized? I would say no, many of them probably feel its the right thing to do. My words and criticisms are not directed at an individual level, I'm speaking exclusively about their political leadership, which has shown to be the most heinous, dishonest, and hypocritical in this country, and this includes their religious leaders who routinely get involved in politics. Why doesn't this rabbi raise the issue of the J ewish lobby being allied to the Turkish lobby and working against genocide recognition? Until the rabbi does this, I will have to believe that his main motivation is to try to "get in deep" with the Armenian side in an attempt to steer the debate. If the rabbi publicly raises this issue about the J ewish lobby, I will gladly eat my words and sing his praise.

Armenians should still use the rabbi's endorsement, I'm not saying we should tell him to f*ck off or anything, we should use every advantage we can. But I just hope no one sincerely believes any of this...
          The reason you dont find rabbis objecting genocide denial is because of the narcistic nature of that religion. It is not about right or wrong, its about whats good for me.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Here is a link which explains it more or less: http://eafjd.eu/spip.php?breve783

Originally posted by Abe Foxman
            The Turks and Armenians need to revisit their past. The xxxish community shouldn’t be the arbiter of that history. And I don’t think the U.S. Congress should be the arbiter either.
            He doesn't deny it explicitly, but he says his organization (which is supposedly an anti-hate organization) should not be the judge of whether or not it was genocide. So he's basically denying it. Imagine if an anti-hate group said that about the Holocaust...

Its no secret that many J ews (especially Zionists) want to keep the Holocaust as a unique event in world history, and they want to keep their friendly relations with Turkey. The ADL, along with the J ewish lobby, routinely campaign against genocide recognition on the grounds that they don't want to upset the US-Israel alliance with Turkey. Thats why they will scream genocide in some cases and conveniently back away in others. The ADL is not a humanitarian organization, they are purely political and from what I can gather they have close ties with the J ewish lobby.

Originally posted by Haykakan
            The reason you dont find rabbis objecting genocide denial is because of the narcistic nature of that religion. It is not about right or wrong, its about whats good for me.
            You are exactly right. Afterall, if you read their holy book, Yahweh routinely commits genocide against non-J ews, and encourages his followers that its okay to deceive non-believers. This is the moral foundation of the god that they worship... and isn't man created in god's image? Now thats a scary thought.

Comment

Thanks for linking me to that, yes I remember reading that, of course. I had mis-read adl as aclu LOL. Either way I dislike both orgs.
              For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
              to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

ISRAELI MINISTER CRITICIZES FOREIGN ORGANIZATIONS OVER KARABAKH

news.az
                Feb 8 2010
                Azerbaijan

Avigdor Lieberman Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has
                given an interview to Azerbaijan's Lider TV ahead of his visit to
                Baku on Tuesday.

"On the whole, the 21st century has started as a century of a great
                many conflicts and terror acts. The Karabakh conflict is a very
                sensitive problem which cannot be discussed in public and the mass
                media," Lieberman told Lider TV.

"Certainly, we respect the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. These
                conflicts exist in most countries, but none of them have been settled.

The international organizations show an inadequate and two-faced
                position in this regard. Unfortunately, the world community prefers
                sweet lies," the minister said.

As for negotiations on the resolution of protracted conflicts,
                Lieberman said, "We do not support ineffective talks. If there is no
                effect, why continue these negotiations?"

Lieberman said that Azerbaijan is a serious and reliable partner
                of Israel. He said these countries have many similar features and
                bilateral relations between them are developing rapidly.

"The Azerbaijani diaspora is working on a high level in Israel and
                the xxxish community is active in Azerbaijan. This proves the normal
                level of relations between our peoples. There are good opportunities
                for the development of political ties," the Israeli minister said.

He said that the main purpose of his visit to Azerbaijan on 9-11
                February is the development of political and economic ties. The
                talks in Baku will cover the creation of an intergovernmental economic
                cooperation commission. Lieberman said that there are different spheres
                for the development of Azerbaijani-Israeli relations. Israel also
                intends to boost cooperation in the energy sector, the minister said.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

I don’t believe Liberman would make such statements in regards to NKR conflict and label the international organizations as two faced. There are no such comments posted in any Israeli or Armenian news websites other than the normal call for greater cooperation between the two and that Azerbaboonestan is a model of stability and tolerance.

Ynet news.
                  Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman met with Azerbaijan Parliament Speaker Ogtay Asadov and briefed foreign ambassadors serving in the country. During the meeting, Lieberman spoke warmly of the relations between Israel and Azerbaijan, and said that th

Armenpress.
                  Նորություններ Հայաստանի, Արցախի, Սփյուռքի, տարածաշրջանի և աշխարհի մասին: Արմենպրես- վստահելի լրատվություն

I found this older analysis (2008) from a Turkish website that it appears to be fairly accurate which is worth the read (kind of long) for people who are not aware of the extend of Azeri and Israeli relationship. You have to disregard the pro Azeri stand from the Turkish side but it seems to explain it well which also includes Iran and Russia. The authors name seems to be Azeri to me.

----------------------

Why Azerbaijan Has No Full Diplomatic Relations With Israel
                  By Shamkhal Abilov

Azerbaijan and Israel has a developed relationship on the economical and political spheres and Israel consider Azerbaijan as its important strategic partner in the region. But despite of the developed relationship between these states Azerbaijan has no full diplomatic relation with Israel. This factor has a great impact on the relations between two states. During her interview with the Azerbaijani news agency Today.Az, Israeli Foreign Minister Tsipi Livni also addressed a statement to the Azerbaijani government that why Azerbaijani embassy has not been opened in Israel. For answering this question we have to look at the historical development of the relations between these two countries and analyze the reason why Azerbaijan has not opened its embassy in Israel.

Azerbaijan is the third Muslim country after Turkey and Egypt to develop bilateral strategic and economic relations with Israel. It established relations with Israel after gaining its independence in 1991. Azerbaijan is a secular state with eight million predominantly Shiite and ethnically Turkic population. But despite it is religious view, Azerbaijan has no anti-Semitic tradition in its history. Even from the late 19th century, Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan, became one of the centres of the Zionist movement in the Russian empire and the first Havevei Zion (Lovers of Zion) was created here in 1891, followed by the first Zionist organization in 1899.

The movement remained strong in the short-lived Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan (1918-1920) marked with the establishment of the xxxish Popular University in 1919, and a number of schools, social clubs, benevolent societies and cultural organizations. Even the Minister of Health, Dr. Yevsei Gindes, of the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan was an Ashkenazi xxx.

Following history we know that, Russia was one of the birth places of the anti-Semitism in Europe. Because of that reason, with the occupation of Azerbaijan by the Soviet Union in 1920, all xxxs organizations in Azerbaijan were closed. Beginning in the 1960s, Azerbaijani xxxish community has experienced cultural revival. xxxish samizdat (Samostoyatelnoe Izdatelstvo-independent publication, during the Soviet Union there was such a publication, which had no connection to the state) publication began. Many cultural and Zionist organizations were re-established in Baku and Sumgait since 1987, and the first legal Hebrew courses and the first xxxs Sochnut School in the Soviet Union was opened in Baku, in 1982.

Today the country has prided itself on its good relations with Israel and xxxish minority in the country. Azerbaijan is a home to some 11,000 Mountain xxxs, residing primarily in Baku and Krasnaya Sloboda settlement in the Quba district of Azerbaijan. There are also nearly 5000 Ashkenazi xxxs living mostly in Baku.

While looking at the relations of Israel with the Azerbaijan Republic, since its independence in 1991, Azerbaijan has a good relation on the field of strategic matters, security, and trade, cultural and educational exchange with Israel. After independence of Azerbaijan, there were diplomatic negotiations over the exchange ambassadors between the two states. Eliezer Yotvat appointed as a first ambassador of Israel to Azerbaijan. But the embassy of Azerbaijan has not been open in Israel.

In October 2001, President of Azerbaijan, Haydar Aliyev pledged to open an embassy in Israel and sent his Foreign Minister to visit Israeli government. But until today Azerbaijan has not fulfilled its responsibility to open an embassy in Israel, because of some political events. Azerbaijan has said that, its complicated geopolitical situation, particularly its proximity to Iran, as well as its membership in international Islamic organizations, prevented it from opening a mission in Israel.

But despite all these, Azerbaijan-Israel strategic cooperation grows step by step; even Azerbaijani government has an unofficial representative, AZAL (Azerbaijan National Airline), in Israel.

Iran Islamic Republic was worry about the development of the relation between Azerbaijan and Israel. For that reason after Ilham Aliyev became the president of Azerbaijan in October 2003, Iran, the biggest threat for Israel in the Middle East, tried to improve the diplomatic relations with Azerbaijan in favour of cutting relations with Israel. Even several high-level Iranian military officers visited Baku in August 2004, intended Azerbaijan to cease security cooperation with Israel and stop receiving Israeli military and intelligence officers.

But for Azerbaijan to have relationship with Israel is much more important than Iran, because Israel was one of the strategic partners and supporters of Azerbaijan in Karabakh War with Armenia. As a result of Nagorno-Karabakh War, nearly 20% of Azerbaijan territory was occupied by Armenian troops and till today it has been under the control of Armenia. The war caused almost one million Azeris to flee from Armenia and the occupied territories. In this war Iran and Russia traditionally supported Armenia. When war broke out, Iran just remained largely neutral despite the fact that a large Shiite majority inhabited Azerbaijan. Iran, a country ruled by Muslim Shiites, has an Azeri ethnic minority population living in the northwest corner of the country, known as “southern Azerbaijan”, totaling more than 25 million people, compared with a population in Azerbaijan of 8 million. During the Nagorno-Garabagh conflict, Iran was suspicious that, support for Azerbaijan against Armenia would encourage for unification between the two “divided” Azerbaijan that had been separated by the Persian and Russian Empires since the 19th century. Because of these Iran supported Armenia against Azerbaijan. Even in April 1992, for example, Iran supplied natural gas and fuel to Armenia, which helped sustain Armenian action. Iranian-Armenian cooperation seems to be developed in future, and currently there are negotiations over the construction of Armenia-Iran railway and building a new gas pipeline. Iran is using Armenia as a potential buffer to insulate against the future rise of power of Azerbaijan.

But looking at the other side of the coin, in April 1993, in response to the Armenian occupation of Azeri lands, Turkey closed its border with Armenia. Throughout the conflict Israel also supported the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. According to London based Arabic language weekly al-Wassat, during Nagorno-Karabakh War Israel and Turkey have provided Stinger missiles to Azerbaijan. Even many Azerbaijanis expressed the hope that friendship with Israel may help resolve the continued Nagorno-Karabakh dispute and expatiate Azerbaijan’s integration with the West.

Israel also provides training for Azerbaijani security and intelligence services, as well as security for the Azerbaijani president during his foreign visits. Israel might have also set up electronic listening stations along the Caspian Sea and Iranian border. In sum, Iran and Armenia see that, cooperation between Azerbaijan and Israel is a big threat for Iranian-Armenian relations, and also see Azerbaijan as a part of a geostrategic axis that also includes Turkey, historical “enemy” of Armenia, Israel, and Georgia. For that reason they want to disrupt that axis.

Another aspect of warm relations between Israel and Azerbaijan is currently evolving strategic partnership of both countries with Turkey and United States. By this cooperation, Azerbaijan and Turkey try to ensure the support of the Israel-American lobby for preventing the attempt of a small but powerful Armenian-American lobby to influence over the US foreign policy toward these countries.

During the visit of Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, in 1997 to Baku, the relations entered a new phase. Since that time Israel has been developing closer relations with Azerbaijan for modernizing the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan. Israeli military have been a major provider of battlefield aviation, artillery, antitank, and anti-infantry weapon to Azerbaijan.

After 9/11 terror attacks Azerbaijan took side with America as an ally against world terrorism. Since that event a new sphere of cooperation has emerged in security with the US. Azerbaijan has provided an air corridor for American military efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq and has joined the US led coalition in Iraq. These events also improved the Azerbaijan-Israel relations strategically, because Israel is one of the major partners of the US in the Middle East.

The Azerbaijan-Israel Friendship Society facilitates and promotes bilateral diplomatic and business links. After the creation of the relations, economic cooperation between Israel and Azerbaijan has been growing significantly. Attempting to deregulate industry and to create free market and liberal economy, attracted Israeli companies to Azerbaijani markets. Many companies have invested in the service sector. Bakcell, which was started as a joint venture between Ministry of Communication of Azerbaijan and GTIB (Israel) in early 1994 as a first cellular telephone operator in the country, can be good example.

According to the President of the Azerbaijan-Israel Business Forum, many Israeli companies also operate in energy sector of Azerbaijan. For instance, an Israeli based supplier of high technology to the energy industry, mainly oil and gas field, Modcom System Ltd. opened an office in Azerbaijan in 2000. According to UN statistical analyses, the exports of Azerbaijan have increased from US$2 million to $323 million between 1997 and 2004. Israel was the largest importer of Azerbaijani oil after Italy in 2002. There is a growing covert collaboration in the energy sector between Azerbaijan and Israel.

On June 5, 2005, the 14th Caspian Oil and Gas Exhibition were opened in Baku. In his speech during the exhibition Arthur Lenk, Ambassador of Israel to Azerbaijan since April, 2005, talked about continuous trade between Azerbaijan and Israel in energy sector. “-Israel and Azerbaijan have close political and economical relations. The main thing is that Israel buys Azerbaijan’s oil through Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline. Interstate relations are also strengthening and the ministries of the two countries pay mutual visits. Azerbaijani Economic Development Minister Heydar Babayev visited Israel in February, chief of State Committee for Azerbaijanis Living Abroad Nazim Ibrahimov in April and Transport Minister Ziya Mammadov visited Israel two weeks ago. Israeli Foreign Ministry official Joseph Gal has also visited Azerbaijan recently. Deputies Prime Minister – Minister of Strategic Planning Avigdor Liberman and Transport Minister Shaul Mofaz will visit Azerbaijan in the second half of this year. Our positions coincide in most strategic issues. I think that the relations between Azerbaijan and Israel are of strategic character”.

The Ambassador also mentioned that, Israel could be strategic partner for selling Caspian oil to Asia through Ashkelon-Eilat pipeline. “-Over the past year, discussions have begun examining the feasibility of a pipeline corridor-with the possibility of carrying oil and natural gas from Turkey to Israel. Such a plan, if carried out, would extend the position of Azerbaijan crude oil to the edge of the Indian Ocean”, he said.

All these statement show that, Israel is seeking for possibilities of importing gas from the Caspian Sea region, because it is surrendered with oil reach countries, but has no chance to get it. Due to partnership with Azerbaijan is significant for Israel.

Coming to the future of the relations between Azerbaijan and Israel, it is quite unclear. Because as I mentioned above Azerbaijan is a member of the OIC (Organization of the Islamic Conference), which created in 1969 in response to the defeat of Arab coalition in 1967 War (Six Day War) and one of main targetof the Organization was regaining of the holy lands, which was occupied by Israel after gaining its independence in 1947, with the UN Partition Plan.

Today, Arab World demanded withdrawing of Israel from the sacred places according to the United Nation Resolution 242 and 339. Azerbaijan also supports this plan in the favour of Arab World. Even in resent Israel Lebanon War Azerbaijan was one of the eight OIC states, which sent an ultimatum to Israel for stopping violent action in Lebanon. Azerbaijan also agreed to send peacekeeping forces to Lebanon.

Developing diplomatic relation with Israel will provoke Iran against Azerbaijan, in a period of escalation of Iran-America-Israel relation. That is a great threat for the security of Azerbaijan. Because Iran several times declared that, if the US declares war against us, the first target will be the US allies in the Middle East. Today the tension between America and Iran is very high, and Israel is one of the big supporters of America in this issue and the first target of Iran. Developing full diplomatic relations with Israel can damage the relations with one of the most important neighbours of Azerbaijan. For that reason balancing policy can be good diplomacy during this period.

But following all of these factors Azerbaijan has good economic and cultural relations with Israel. Even, according to Azerbaijani officials, Azerbaijan plans to open a trade office in Israel, which will represent the Azerbaijani government in Israel. In an interview with The Jerusalem Post, Foreign Minister Elmar Memmedyarov also added that “having full diplomatic relations will happen for sure”.....

B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                  X