Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Vem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vem

Does anybody here know or lisiten VEM radio station (In Yerevan)?
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Re: Vem

Originally posted by Mos View Post
    Does anybody here know or lisiten VEM radio station (In Yerevan)?
    Yeah, I noticed the radio station there some time ago. They feature great cultural programs and classical/folk music. I have been looking at their website as well, it has a lot of good downloads.

VEM Website: http://www.vem.am/?go=news

There is one thing that I did not like about their website - it's in English? Aren't they in Yerevan? Aren't they promoting Armenian culture? All the audio video materials in the website are in Armenian but the website itself is in English. Makes no sense.

Just think: an English speaking individual that does not know Armenian would not be able to understand any of the downloads any of the audio/video programs. A person that knows Armenian would not not find the website user friendly. The only people that can use the website are Armenians from America, essentially.

In my opinion, such a great website should be in Armenian, English, Russian and French. At the very least, Armenian and Russian, for our largest diaspora is in Russia, over two million.

Maybe the place is run by an Amerikahai... I don't know.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Actually the person who runs it is my uncle, the main office or headquarters is located in Yerevan, near Mr. Toaster, or near the business center, etc. My uncle also does a lot of volunatry work for Armenia Fund, AYB Club progject, and many fund raisers. However, I dont think the majority of people in Yerevan lisiten to VEM because it is mostly classical and theological programs, while in Yerevan mostly lisiten to rabiz, russian music etc
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Actually the person who runs it is my uncle...
        That's great!

So, why is the website in English?

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
          That's great!

So, why is the website in English?
          Thats a good question I will ask him that, but they have translations of their texts in Armenian. Almost all the programs are in Armenian though. But not many Armenians in Yerevan are going to visit vem.am as much as people in the diaspora who most know english.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---

Comment

Thats a good question I will ask him that, but they have translations of their texts in Armenian. Almost all the programs are in Armenian though. But not many Armenians in Yerevan are going to visit vem.am as much as people in the diaspora who most know english.
            Believe it or not, Armenian is one of the least represented languages in the internet, it even falls behind some extinct languages. I think your uncle should be promoting "Armenian" on the internet, especially for a cultural establishment such as his. And there are more Armenians in this world that who don't know English. Nonetheless, you think your typical America-Hai is going to understand any of the complex good quality programs VEM features?

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
              Believe it or not, Armenian is one of the least represented languages in the internet, it even falls behind some extinct languages. I think your uncle should be promoting "Armenian" on the internet, especially for a cultural establishment such as his. And there are more Armenians in this world that who don't know English. Nonetheless, you think your typical America-Hai is going to understand any of the complex good quality programs VEM features?
              Yes, probably they would not understand some of the programs on VEM. Well, I would guess Armenian is less represented on the web because of its font versus the majority latin font of european languages. However check these two links out, look where they put Armenian:

http://world.att.com/ (press "learn more" and you will see Armenian)

I found it pretty amazing that Armenian is put in the list of all these widely used languages like english, chinese, farsi, arabic etc. why us?
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---

Comment

Yes, probably they would not understand some of the programs on VEM. Well, I would guess Armenian is less represented on the web because of its font versus the majority latin font of european languages.
                I download their programs concerning theology, music and children's fairy tales. And I listen to them on a regular basis. I only know of one other Armenian that does it, my close friend. And I introduced him to the site. I simply can't see an English speaking America-hai either understanding or getting into the programs available on VEM. Please tell your uncle that it is a shame that such a great cultural establishment does not feature <<Armenian>> in its website.

However check these two links out, look where they put Armenian:

(press "learn more" and you will see Armenian)
                I found it pretty amazing that Armenian is put in the list of all these widely used languages like english, chinese, farsi, arabic etc. why us?
                This has to do with marketing, supply and demand. If they know that there is a target audience they will pander to them. However, I was not talking about that, I was talking about "websites" in the Armenian language. Armenian is one of the least represented languages on the internet. And it is very far behind Turkish. Like I said, some dead languages are more represented than Armenian. And individuals like your uncle are not helping the situation.

I have nothing against the English language, per say. I just see the English language being used by power brokers in the States as a tool for spreading globalization. There are government sponsored programs in this country that export English to the entire world. And its not all that harmless, it has a geostrategic purpose. In some areas in Armenia I have noticed that English has replaced not only Russian but Armenian as well.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                X