Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Review: Oscar 2008 Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Review: Oscar 2008 Films

Yup we will see.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Guys, I have a serious question. Why is it that the Dark Knight didn't get any awards? If it was so good then why didn't it get anywhere? I'm not saying it was a bad movie. On the contrary, it was good and that's why I'm asking. Most of the movies mentioned above didn't even come close to it when you look at the box office sales. Or did they?
      THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Yeah, I agree with the 'watching it at a bad time' part. That's why I think twice about watching a movie; if I'm even remotely tired, it will ruin the experience.
        Well I watched it in the afternoon, it was pretty sunny, and my grandmother passed away a few days ago so I guess I couldn't have picked a worse time to watch it. It's been a strange week and everything's falling into place slowly, slowly . Anyways, life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
          Guys, I have a serious question. Why is it that the Dark Knight didn't get any awards? If it was so good then why didn't it get anywhere? I'm not saying it was a bad movie. On the contrary, it was good and that's why I'm asking. Most of the movies mentioned above didn't even come close to it when you look at the box office sales. Or did they?
          Tough question, but you like long answers.

The Dark Knight was the first comic book movie to be taken seriously. I mean, I haven't seen Spider-Man and it was always considered a good franchise. It certainly did have the biggest weekend opening until The Dark Knight came along. However, The Dark Knight completely changed the outlook on comic book movies. Not only did it do well in the box office, it didn't even feel like a comic book movie. Batman, Joker and Two-Face were believable in our everyday world and that's why it became such a significant film. It's also because of Christopher Nolan's approach to Batman; he reinvented the entire look and meaning of the franchise.

Unfortunently, at the end of the day, it's still a comic book movie. The Oscars, in particular, are extremely conservative; they love nominating the typical films. This is why we have so many films released at the fourth quarter of the year and hence the phrase "Oscar bait." The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Reader, for example, were both "Oscar bait" films. They were filmed with the intention of being considered for the awards. In the case of Benjamin Button, the film was ready to be seen yet waited months to be released in December. The Reader, however, was rushed to see a December release, specifically for Oscar consideration. The rule is your film must be out before January to be considered for the show.

As for The Dark Knight, the film did extremely well with the critics and the audience. However, it is still out of the norm to nominate a comic book movie. To the conservative members of the Academy, they're not ready to award a 'Batman' movie the big trophy. It makes sense from their viewpoint when you think about it. Obviously, this is ridiculous because The Dark Knight came a very long way to achieve such great things. It deserves Best Picture/Best Director nomination but sadly was shunned out.

As far as the rest of the films that did get nominated, some did well at the box office while others didn't. Again, there are certain films suited for the Oscar consideration line-up. They tend to pick the same type of films over and over again; Benjamin Button is almost a carbon copy of Forrest Gump, which won Best Picture in 1995. The only reason why Benjamin Button probably won't win this year and, trust me, it was almost a sure hit is because of the rare success of Slumdog Millionaire. If there's one thing the academy loves is comeback performances and the underdog film. Slumdog Millionaire captivated many, and because it's such a simple film, backed by a great director, it stole many awards and will probably win Best Picture.

I hope that helped.

Comment

Tough question, but you like long answers.
            Can't lie about that . Allows me to understand people and their views much better. Or maybe it's just a writers habit, lol.

The Dark Knight was the first comic book movie to be taken seriously. I mean, I haven't seen Spider-Man and it was always considered a good franchise. It certainly did have the biggest weekend opening until The Dark Knight came along.
            Spider-Man truly is a great franchise. I think the third was a bit rushed but the second did a good job.

However, The Dark Knight completely changed the outlook on comic book movies. Not only did it do well in the box office, it didn't even feel like a comic book movie. Batman, Joker and Two-Face were believable in our everyday world and that's why it became such a significant film. It's also because of Christopher Nolan's approach to Batman; he reinvented the entire look and meaning of the franchise.
            I know, that's why I asked why the movie wasn't nominated.

As for The Dark Knight, the film did extremely well with the critics and the audience. However, it is still out of the norm to nominate a comic book movie. To the conservative members of the Academy, they're not ready to award a 'Batman' movie the big trophy. It makes sense from their viewpoint when you think about it. Obviously, this is ridiculous because The Dark Knight came a very long way to achieve such great things. It deserves Best Picture/Best Director nomination but sadly was shunned out.
            I get what you mean but still, a good movie is a good movie. What are the judges looking for. Good stories or good movies? Even if Batman was a comic book, it was directed pretty well and the actors were great so I think the judges didn't make the right choices.

As far as the rest of the films that did get nominated, some did well at the box office while others didn't. Again, there are certain films suited for the Oscar consideration line-up. They tend to pick the same type of films over and over again; Benjamin Button is almost a carbon copy of Forrest Gump, which won Best Picture in 1995.
            So basically you see directors directing movies they know will work. Am I right? That's the first impression I get.

Slumdog Millionaire captivated many, and because it's such a simple film, backed by a great director, it stole many awards and will probably win Best Picture.
            Wanna watch this movie actually since I've lived pretty much all my life in India. I'm glad Hollywood still awards movies like these.

Thanks for the explanation One-Way.

Comment

Slumdog Millionaire was a great film but I feel it's almost overrated by the general public. And yes, for Oscar season, they compile films that are sure hits to win. The Dark Knight is a great film but sadly that's not how the Academy judges. It's like Armenians and their belief you should only marry an Armenian. It's a belief the Academy has and it's almost voodoo to step outside of that norm.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
                Best Director - Danny Boyle
                Best Actor - Mickey Rourke
                Best Actress - Kate Winslet
                Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger
                Best Supporting Actress - Penélope Cruz
                Best Original Screenplay - Wall-E
                Best Adapted Screenplay - Slumdog Millionaire
                Correct on all accounts except Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay. In my defense, I overlooked Milk because it was Dustin Lance Black's first screenplay, and didn't quite think it through while I compared it to Wall-E.

Best Actor was a pleasant surprise because Sean Penn truly did deserve the award. Mickey Rourke was extremely great as well but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Comment

Well, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, and Slumdog Millionaire aren't your usual Best Picture Oscar winners.

Something's changed. I think the Academy's oldest generation has died out or something. Only Ernest Borgnine, Mickey Rooney, Joan Fontaine, and Olivia de Havilland seem to be left. If this was just a decade ago, movies like Atonement (deservedly) and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button would have swept the awards.

I'd only seen two of the Best Picture nominees, and my personal choice won. Congratulations, Slumdog. Eight wins is a little much, especially Best Original Score which should have gone to the inexplicably snubbed The Dark Knight -- but I won't rain on your parade. Jai Ho!

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious changes are being made because there has finally been a true independent film to win Best Picture. Some people are questioning if it's worthy of being in the same category has Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Godfather. Slumdog Millionaire is on a much smaller scale and wasn't as important, for the lack of a better term, as the past winners. However, it's a new beginning for the Academy and just goes to show what's happening to our industry.

I'm glad the typical Oscar bait of a film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button didn't take much of the awards because, not only was the film a big disappointment, it truly didn't deserve anything outside the technical fields. Slumdog Millionaire did deserve its win for Best Song, but I do agree The Dark Knight was horribly robbed by not being nominated for Best Original Score.

Comment

An award should have been given to Hugh Jackman, the Australian host. He was brilliant!

Comment

Working...
                      X