Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Non Armo Films that reference Armos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Armo Films that reference Armos

So I thought we should make a list of non armo movies that reference armenians. I'll start off, you can list the reference from the movie if you want but don't have to.

- Author! Author! -
    Al Pacino plays Ivan Travalian, a playwright who was adopted by Armenian parents. He tells his love interest that you know when someones Armenian b/c their last name rhymes with the word Armenian. (Not a good film fyi)

- My Big Fat Greek Wedding -
    When Toula, the Greek lead, is having dinner with her American fiancee's parents, her mother in-law to be mistkes her husbands former Guatemalan secratary to be Armenian, and asks Toula if Armenia is close to Greece.

- Bad News Bears (2005)-
    Jeffery Tedmori plays an Armenian boy named Garo Daragabrigadian, who is on a baseball team of made up of misfits. When their coach (Billy Bob Thorton) calls roll for the first time he looks at the roster and says "What the hell? ...Garo Daragabrigadian..? Is that Aztec or something?" garo replies that it is "Armenian" to which the coach says, "Same xxxx, they both buit pyramids."

- The Truth About Charlie -
    This film never mentions Armenians specifically, but it mentions Charles Aznavour enough to make anyone want to find out who he is. Charles even makes a cameo and sings through the end credits
    Last edited by ara87; 03-16-2009, 11:32 PM.

Re: Non Armo Films that reference Armos

Copland-

If I recall, the movie starts in a bar with a couple of off duty Jersey cops telling a derogatory joke about an Armenian and a goat. My recollection may be incorrect though.

See also - Woody Allen & Armenians - something about someone being so depressed that he tried committing suicide by inhaling next to an Armenian.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      Sideways
      Lol forgot about that one.

A Day Without a Mexican

Comment

InblackandwHite

mykeyboardisbroken

Comment

That actor from Half Baked did a weird jay leno skit or something, where he hangs out w/ an Armenian family. It's pretty funny.

It's called a day w/ an Armenian family on youtube.

Comment

Woody Allen has made a reference to Armenians in a few films; the one that comes to mind is from Love and Death.

"He was so depressed, he tried to commit suicide by inhaling next to an Armenian."

Comment

there's one that i cant remember the name, but it is a popular action flick not too long a go that mentions the conflict in karabagh

Comment

Kickass. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250777/

In it, there is a scene where the leading male actor is introducing himself and someone jumps off of a building and thumps the roof of a taxi to which he responds "that's not me by the way, just some Armenian guy with a history of mental health problems."

Vaughn wanted to start off by sharing some clips from the first act of the movie, starting off with one that could very well be the opening of the movie, starting with a shot of the Empire State Building and a New York with a soaring score that sounds like it was taken right out of Richard Donner's Superman. The camera pans back to show a guy in a red costume with wings standing at the top of a building looking downwards and a serious voice-over talking about how there are all these comic books, movies and TV shows about superheroes and wondering why no one had ever thought of making themselves a costume. The narrator (our hero) asks "Is everyday life really so exciting that I'm the only one who fantasized about this? Come on, be honest with yourself. At some point in our lives, we all wanted to be a superhero." The music builds and then the figure dives forward off the building plunging straight downwards with the costume's wings outstretched. The crowd watching from below cheers and applauds at the sight of this swooping freefall but then the body hits the roof of a cab and smashes it inwards in a huge impact leaving the audience mortified. The voiceover continues, "That's not me by the way. That's some Armenian guy with a history of mental health problems. Who am I? I'm Kick-Ass." (This scene got a lot of laughs and cheers from the audience.) We're then in an establishing shot of the city, scrolling by a store made to look like Atomic Comics and then we meet Dave and his two geeky friends (one being Duke) as they're talking about exactly what the narrative asked, why no one has ever tried to be a superhero and help people. A lot of the dialogue seemed to come right from the scene in the comic with them weighing the options and arguing their theories why or why not someone might want to do something like that. One of them asks why thousands of people might want to be Paris Hilton but not Spider-Man, and the other retorts about Hilton "having no tits at all."
                Between childhood, boyhood,
                adolescence
                & manhood (maturity) there
                should be sharp lines drawn w/
                Tests, deaths, feats, rites
                stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Borat!

His producer in the movie talks Armenian like all the time, lol.

Soul Men

The same dude that played a producer in Borat plays in this movie. He's seen very briefly.
                  THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

That is a depressing list of films.

Like Azamat Bagatov in Borat, many of these "Armenian" characters really have no specified ethnicity. Our diaspora is so vast that I can see how it is difficult to categorize us. Some of these characters range (in appearance and culture) from Middle Eastern to Eastern/Southern European to... WASP (Stephen Spinella's character on 24, LOL?)

I recently watched the 1995 science fiction film Strange Days. It is set in the "future" (a racially tense Los Angeles right around New Year's Eve 1999). There is a scene where Ralph Fiennes is watching the news and the anchorwoman briefly mentions Turkey making reparations to Armenians! The film was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who is currently receiving a lot of attention for her Iraq War film The Hurt Locker. After In the Valley of Elah I kinda never wanted to see an Iraq War movie ever again, but I might have to make an exception.

I also loved this Armenian reference on 30 Rock:

Tina Fey: We've come a long way from that apartment we shared in Little Armenia.
                    Jane Krakowski: Oh, it was so weird there! Do you remember that neighborhood festival where they killed a goat in the street?
                    Tina Fey: Yes! But we did have really good luck that year.
                    Jane Krakowski: Yeah.

Comment

Working...
                    X