Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Morgenthau Story - a film by Apo Torosyan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Morgenthau Story - a film by Apo Torosyan

Filmmaker Apo Torosyan, left, with Henry Morgenthau II, who is a descendent of the ambassador to Constantinople from 1913-1916 who is credited with saving many lives.

The Morgenthau Story

By Chris Bergeron

Descended from survivors of the Armenian genocide, filmmaker Apo Torosyan hopes his art transforms prejudice and hate into tolerance and compassion.

Growing up in Turkey, he learned his father’s parents had both starved to death after the genocidal massacres of 1915. As a teenager in Istanbul, he saw mobs hang Christian priests and rape Armenian women while his pregnant sister cowered in their apartment, preparing to kill herself if necessary.

Yet when Torosyan screens his newest film, “The Morgenthau Story,” in Peabody City Hall on April 23, it will honor a man who fought oppression at great personal risk while refusing to preach hate.

“I’m trying to reach out and warn people genocide is still with us today,” said Torosyan. “Too often we don’t see it. But when you say ‘us’ and ‘them,’ you’re already prejudging people.”

The son of a Greek mother and Armenian father, Torosyan earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at the Istanbul Academy of Fine Arts in the 1960s.

He has exhibited his rich, moody paintings in more than 40 solo and 20 group shows in Europe and North America. His paintings are in the permanent collections of several museums, including the Museum of Modern Art in Bordeaux, France, the Armenian Library and Museum of America in Watertown, Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn., and the Florida Holocaust Museum in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Now 67, Torosyan has made seven documentaries, including four dealing with aspects of the genocide and three others he describes as philosophic “meditations.”

Since immigrating to the United States in 1986, he fears he can’t return to Turkey because on an earlier visit he expressed his opinion about the Armenian genocide, which puts him in danger of imprisonment.

Torosyan’s documentary incorporates interviews with the three descendants of Henry Morgenthau Sr., ambassador to Constantinople from 1913 to 1916, and archival footage about Turkish oppression of the Armenian minority.

He credits Morgenthau for trying to alert the world to the Ottoman massacres of Armenians and other Christians and later, as chairman of the Greek Resettlement Commission, saving thousands after the 1922 Smyrna massacre.

While often regarded as the 20th century’s first holocaust, Toroysyan fears Westerners know little about the Ottoman Empire’s murderous policies against Christians.

He said in April 1915, civilian and military authorities of the then-Ottoman Empire now present day Turkey launched attacks, massacres and forced marches to drive Armenians, as well as Greeks and Syrians, off their lands and into exile. While exact figures remain in dispute, Torosyan said it’s “generally accepted” that between 1915 and 1923 1.5 million Armenians died and another 2 million, representing nearly half the group’s population, were driven from the country.

Rather than “play the blame game,” Torosyan said his films present history objectively so future generations can recognize the symptoms of ethic, religious and racial prejudice before they take effect. “I believe history should be known so we don’t forget the past,” he said. “I’m trying to reach out to youth in high school and college. They should know what happened.”

While the Republic of Turkey, which succeeded the Ottoman Empire, refuses to describe the deaths and forced relocations as genocide, Torosyan insisted he “holds no prejudice toward Turkish people today.”

Whether painting or making films, he said his art is intimately connected to his personal history.

“What else is mine? My roots, my family history? Starving family members dying during the Armenian, Greek and Assyrian Genocide, including my grandparents,” he said. “...I started making my films, which are not all related to human rights, but to life itself. My documentaries have been shown in places I’ve never been to and seen by thousands of people I’ve never met. And through the Internet, I have met a lot of new friends with the same message: Hope not hate.”

Source: "The Daily News Tribune", 29 March 2009
    http://www.dailynewstribune.com/archive/x1239302465/Film-opens-a-lens-on-the-story-of-Armenian-genocide

Greek and Armenian orphans, 1923, in Athens, Greece.

Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 (23 reads), comments: 0

Link
    More info here about this movie:

Re: The Morgenthau Story - a film by Apo Torosyan

Thank you for this news Alex. I really want to get a copy of this film. By the way, I was watching cable today and I saw a commercial advertising a new documentary based on the AG. It will feature archival pictures, videos, and evidence never seen before. It will be shown on April 24th.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
      Thank you for this news Alex. I really want to get a copy of this film. By the way, I was watching cable today and I saw a commercial advertising a new documentary based on the AG. It will feature archival pictures, videos, and evidence never seen before. It will be shown on April 24th.
      Really? But don't you think we hurt the Turkish delicate sensibility by making such provocative, racist and one-sided films?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
        Really? But don't you think we hurt the Turkish delicate sensibility by making such provocative, racist and one-sided films?
        Justified sarcasm Lucin jan, inch arads.

Morgenthau was a great man and his son as well. I think I read it somewhere that the Armenian Republic was going to bring Morgenthau's remains to Armenia and bury him there for his super great humanity towards Armenians in the Genocide times while he was the American Ambassador of turkey.
        Last edited by Anoush; 04-20-2009, 06:28 AM.

Comment

If I understoodd the Article Alex posted correctly, this new film is based on Mr. Morgenthau. It's not based on the Genocide as a whole. So naturally it will be more or less one sided because it will focus on a certain person not the entire Genocide. If we're talking about a movie based on the Genocide itself then I think a smart script writer would present both sides of the coin, not just one. At least that's what I'm doing with a script I'm writing and I hope I'll be able to get it filmed one day. Anyways, coming back to point. In this films case, I don't see any problems. If you're talking about the documentary I mentied, Lucin jan, even then, there's no harm done.

Telling the truth doesn't make you a racist ... and I think Turkey's new generation should watch different documentaries, films, and anything they can get their hands on from time to time (if they can, that is). That won't hurt their sensibility, it will allow them to see beyond all the lies that the Turkish gov. literally pumps into their brains everyday. The other day, a Turkish family went against the gov. for forcing their young child to watch their version of the Genocide which was filled with all kinds of hellish scenes. That's what hurts the delicate sensibility of the Turkish people. That's what's one-sided and racist. Not films or documentaries based on truth and facts.

In the end, only by facing the past will we be able to move on and I can see many doing just that ...
          THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Working...
          X