Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

2-D vs CGI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-D vs CGI

In 2004 Disney said that it would never add another 2-D animated film to its cannon of animated films, and that from then on, all animated films would be done in CGI. Many other movie makers have also stopped making 2-D in favor of CGI films. However 2hen the animation dept. at Disney got new leaders, they showed interest in returning to 2-D, and now have a 2-d movie coming out at the end of this year, but all the other current upcoming animated films that come afterward will be done in CGI.

What do you think about this shift in animation, and do you like it?

Re: 2-D vs CGI

Something can be 2D and CGI ... CGI is just computer generated images.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

by cgi i mean shrek like films

Comment

Pixar has been a great addition to Disney and has produced much better animated films than Dreamworks. I think you're refering to 3D instead of CGI. As Sip said, both 2D and CGI can coexist, but if you're talking about films like Shrek, then you're refering to 3D.

I think it's great that they're stepping back into 2D because it's a great reminder of the older animated films. It's really tough to say where we're going to go from here, especially with 3D being pushed by studios. 3D was a fad many years ago and it's being reinvented for our cinemas once again, but I don't know if it will last. Even if it does and it breaks into the future, I think it will ultimately cause 2D films to shrink overtime.

In my opinion, some of my favorite animated films are 2D. I don't see a problem, Pixar knows what they're doing. Dreamworks on the other hand...

Comment

I prefer the 2D films to the newer CGI stuff, though some Pixar features have been pretty great.

Comment

Aside from the original Disney characters, I was never a big fan of Disney. I was more of a Hanna Barbera fan. I think the 3-D CGI's are done really well, but there is too much drama in the story lines much like many Disney films.

I'm curious as to how the story board layout is being conveyed to the animators who are slaving away in front of their PC's while rendering the 3D animations. I'm hoping the manual artistic skills aren't being lost in the transition like the way manual drafting skills are being lost in architecture and design.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Tom Hanks recently disclosed that the producers for Toy Story didn't present him with a script for Toy Story 3. Instead, they screened the actual film - in a very rough form - with the characters being voiced by the animators. I truly respect where they have taken animated films, especially their use of 3D in the more recent pictures.

Again, however, it's not a battle between 2D vs. CGI, it's 2D vs. 3D. CGI is used in both 2D and 3D.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                Again, however, it's not a battle between 2D vs. CGI, it's 2D vs. 3D. CGI is used in both 2D and 3D.
                yeah i didn't want to say 3D b/c of non animated 3D films...

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                I truly respect where they have taken animated films, especially their use of 3D in the more recent pictures.
                I also have respect for how far they've come, but my qualms with the 3D pictures is that none of them seem to have substance, and while that maybe due to bad scripts, think of it this way, could you look back at prior 2D animated films, and take the serious parts as serious as you did?

Parts of movies like the Lion King, and even the Hunchback of Notre Dame(although this one has some bad parts as well) and many other movies would just be tarnished in 3D

Comment

If anything, I'd say Dreamworks doesn't have any animated films with substance. Their characters and storylines fall flat, whereas Pixar puts out quality films. Toy Story, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and Wall-E are all excellent examples of animated films with character quality and depth.

Older animated films like Lion King wouldn't quite work in 3D, which is why they might still be working in the 2D format. I wouldn't really compare them, I understand what you're saying but these 3D films present a different twist. For this reason, I think it would be great if 2D and 3D can coexist.

Comment

Working...
                  X