Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What should be done with Roman Polanski?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be done with Roman Polanski?

I am writing about Roman Polanski this week and his whole fiasco, and we had a discussion in class today, and I wanted to see how you guys feel about him.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that everybody is going to say he is guilty and should be imprisoned because he's "disgusting." If anybody has some good discussion, I'd like to hear it, assuming of course, you guys know what's going on with him.

In short, Roman Polanski had unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl in 1978. There were drugs and alcohol involved, but Polanski was only convicted of unlawful sexual intercourse, not even rape. There was mayhem regarding his trial because of an insanely biased judge, who made puppets out of both the victim and Polanski, which resulted in Polanski fleeing the country to avoid his final sentencing. He's been in Europe for more than 30 years, and was recently caught in Switzerland and the trail is supposed to start up again.

Now, since then, the victim has been married and has two children. She publicly forgave him and they reached a private settlement. She believes that enough time has passed and that they should drop the case and let him free. She doesn't want him to go to jail and has forgiven him of his actions. Polanski, for one, doesn't believe he was in the wrong. Regardless, what should be done, now?

I argued that enough time has passed and they should drop the case. If the victim forgave him and there has been so much mayhem with the trail and will continue to be, they should just drop the case. I received backlash, such as "She was only 13!" or "It's the law!" but I think if she has forgiven him, all things considered, there shouldn't be a case anymore.

Thoughts?

Re: What should be done with Roman Polanski?

OK, I'll refrain from the Pollock jokes. It's not so much that she was 13 but he was 44!

I referenced Wikipedia on the subject and I would still like to know what the 13 year old was doing at Jack Nicholson's home and what was her relationship to Nicholson. I know this is Hollywood and people like to extort money but was she looking for Michael Jackson's place? (yeah, I know... completely wrong time period)

Apparently, he escaped to France before his formal hearing in the U.S. so I think regardless of whether or not she forgave him isn't the issue. If he is to step on U.S. soil, he should be punished for his crimes, not only for his initial charges, but also for being a coward and fleeing the country on top of it all. Perhaps he was afraid that he would have been put in the same position as the 13 year old girl had he been sent to prison.

I'll agree the law likes to control people and exert power regardless of what citizens think. For example, the law about age/sex doesn't take into account experience.

Let's say a 15 yr old female has been sexually active since she was 12 and seduces a 20 year old male with no experience. How does the law determine age as being a factor? Now, that 20 yr old can suffer the consequences of the law and end up on a nationwide sex offenders list. Age doesn't take into account experience and that's where the law fails. Regardless of this, he was definitely in the wrong and should have been punished. If no actions were taken against him, this would send the wrong message to the public and reinforce the fact that having money and powerful friends trumps the law.

What a moron, of all places he went to Switzerland? Must refrain from pollock joke.. ugh.
    Last edited by KanadaHye; 03-02-2010, 07:04 AM.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

He had been to Switzerland before, but this time they decided to go after him.

She didn't have a relationship with Jack Nicholson. Nicholson was away on a trip so Roman Polanski used his empty house to take pictures of her. Polanski called him up and asked if he could use his house for photographs, so Nicholson didn't have anything to do with it. If anything, Nicholson's caretaker let them in and was in and out of the house, and she didn't say or do anything.

I don't know. She was 13, but had sexual intercourse twice before with other men, and had taken drugs and alcohol in her life. It's in her transcript. Polanski didn't rape her, in fact, he claims she gave him consent. I know, it's still wrong to be with a minor, but it's so blown up. He wasn't given a fair trail, which he deserved. He was mistreated during the case, but apparently, that's okay. If this was still 1978, and he had fled the country and was immediately caught, I wouldn't mind. I hate the laws we have here about excersing every bit of rule, just because. It's been 30 years, they screwed him over so he screwed them over. She forgave him, the trail wasn't able to take care of itself then, what's the point of taking care of it now?

In fact, Polanski was supposed to be sentenced to probation. It's the judge who ruled against the hearing and said he wanted to put him to jail out of spite. So, technically, Polanski has served his probation; he hasn't done anything wrong since, or at least, he hasn't been arrested for it. France has the same laws against minors, rape and unlawful sexual intercourse, so just let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
        It's been 30 years, they screwed him over so he screwed them over. She forgave him, the trail wasn't able to take care of itself then, what's the point of taking care of it now?

In fact, Polanski was supposed to be sentenced to probation. It's the judge who ruled against the hearing and said he wanted to put him to jail out of spite. So, technically, Polanski has served his probation; he hasn't done anything wrong since, or at least, he hasn't been arrested for it. France has the same laws against minors, rape and unlawful sexual intercourse, so just let it go.
        Once something is on your record, you're pretty much pegged for good. I tried having a pool table moved across the border from the US to Canada and the border agents turned the moving company around because one of the movers had gotten into a bar fight and spent a night in jail wayyyy back when he was 19. Basically once your name is in the system, they don't forget about you. Especially since 2001, if any sort of criminal activity is on your record, there is a big red light that goes off in the system.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I understand. I think I'll argue about his films as a director and this case should be left out when considering his body of work. I really, really hate it when people say they can't watch a Woody Allen film anymore because of his personal life. Our TA said that yesterday, which I think is so immature. First of all, his personal life has nothing to do with his films. I'm a self-proclaimed expert on his films, and despite what some people think, he doesn't bring his personal life into his films. Second of all, his personal life has nothing to do with us. It might be wrong in our eyes, but it's his life, and who are we to judge? In either case, I don't think Woody Allen or Roman Polanski was in the wrong, especially Woody Allen.

Comment

I understand. I think I'll argue about his films as a director and this case should be left out when considering his body of work. I really, really hate it when people say they can't watch a Woody Allen film anymore because of his personal life. Our TA said that yesterday, which I think is so immature. First of all, his personal life has nothing to do with his films. I'm a self-proclaimed expert on his films, and despite what some people think, he doesn't bring his personal life into his films. Second of all, his personal life has nothing to do with us. It might be wrong in our eyes, but it's his life, and who are we to judge? In either case, I don't think Woody Allen or Roman Polanski was in the wrong, especially Woody Allen.
            Most artists are rather eccentric in their everyday lives. I don't know too much about Woody Allen, aside for his multiple marriages and separations. Never really watched any of his works. I'm not sure how he got work done being in court all the whole time. I agree that you can't discount someone's work just because of their actions outside of work. However, we are judged throughout our lives which gives us the right to judge others based on the same principles because if we don't, then we are giving them an advantage.

Comment

Woody Allen wasn't in court much. He writes his screenplays rather fast and has numerous ones stored away. I mean, his work ethic is incredible, and he went through a lot and was able to go out and keep his head straight and make films.

Comment

Loved MacBeth, I feel he is a fantastic director, as to personal life, he didn't really put it into his work, although I feel alot of the grit of MacBeth is due to his personal experiences after the murder of Sharon Tate who was pregnant with his kid. I think it showed in his work which became darker, sinister, gloomy and gritty in MacBeth.

His later work such as the Pianist was amazing and the visuals he directed and the sheer strength of his direction, I feel was a very accurate portrayal of the horrors of the period and the solitude one man found in his music and that he was ultimately an every day man, not a hero, he could only really defend himself, this was very much bought to light by the direction and the cast as well. Although it can seem detached, I think it fits the movement of the story well.

Another favourite has to be Chinatown, his work I feel there needs no mention in terms of sheer genius.

As to the case, I gotta agree in way with Kanada, he shoulda faced his charges instead of running and his actions were very questionable, but ultimately I'd rather look at his fimwork istead of worrying about his character, for instance Mike Tyson is an xxxxxxx, everyone watches his fights.

Comment

Well, a bunch of filmmakers have signed a petition asking for him to be set free because he is such a great artists. This includes a wide variety of people, such as Woody Allen, Darren Aronofsky, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, and most surprisingly, Martin Scorsese. Scorsese loves cinema with all his heart, but almost became a priest, so if he believes Roman Polanski should be set free, then that's surprising.

Comment

This is no surprise. In Hollyweird, pedophilia/pederasty, deviant sexual behavior, homosexuality, and occult rituals are the norm to be indulged in by the insiders and upper players. Come on! Woody Allen is backing him... what else do you need?!

Comment

Working...
                    X