Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Film Club!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film Club!

Is it safe to say this film group no longer exists?

Comment

The problem is I'm really busy with school and work. If we had more members, my absence wouldn't matter, because the film club would still continue with the rest of the members. If you'd like join, go ahead and watch Hidden Fortress, share your thoughts, and pick the next film. It's impossible for a film club to work with two members, especially when one of the members is really busy and has to miss a couple of films.

Comment

well, i can try to see that. I'm limited on my options, due to lack of video store near me haha

so extended deadline for that was moved to which friday? how about next friday? then is it my turn to pick as i'm next in line?

Comment

There is no deadline, so just see it when you can, post your review and pick the next film.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long. It proved to be quite a difficult task to obtain this movie

Anyway,
            I was excited to see this movie because it influenced Star Wars IV; and as arteom said, the characters were quite vivid -- which, in Star Wars, that was the basis for R2D2 and C-3PO.

Though the movie was about greed, I spent more time trying to figure out if the kindness was genuine or if it was fake. The japanese had a saying about 3 hearts: one heart is reserved for the outside world, one heart is reserved for family/friends, and the third heart is entirely your own (no one else knows its secrets). I never really solved tyhat question though. Out of Japanese honor, she woul;dnt've had a replace and would've instead committed suicide yet she didn't. Further, she hopes to retake the land back eventually and so is simply 'putting up' with the other characters... yet my Western viewpoint wants to believe she was genuine throughout.

Well, if this keeps going, my movie is : The Great Debaters (w/ Denzel Washington)

Comment

Heh, can't believe someone actually watched it . Let's go ahead with The Great Debaters. Try and watch it within a week and report back, I will try to do the same. Then we go again, if anyone else wants to join us they can pick the movie after The Great Debaters.

As far as The Hidden Fortress and the princess' real intentions, I don't think Kurosawa wanted us to focus too much on that aspect of the movie. Because well, he made another movie, called Ran, which focuses just on that. It's a really fantastic movie, one of my favorites from him. Highly recommended >> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089881/

Anyway, here's to hoping we don't take two months to watch The Great Debaters

Comment

hey arteom!! sorry it took me so long ;.; anything offline is really hard for me to obtain.
                I'll try to watch that sometime! thanks
                i figured he must've done something along those lines. I tend to focus on relationships rather than the plot line (you pretty much now know what my reviews will be )

So, my review of the Great Debaters....

There was one statement made by Doctor James Farmer Senior (Forest Whitaker) that struck a nerve with me every time I heard it: “We do what we have to do in order to do what we want to do.” This line is how my mother has consoled me with the way my life has turned: “sometimes, Tita, we have to do things we don’t want to do, in order to get to where we want to go.” Different words with the same message. In order for Dr. James Farmer Senior to survive in the world he was living in, he of course does not want to bend down to certain white people who do not deserve his respect but have to get it simply to keep his own life. For instance, he had to be cordial and obedient to the pig farmer, when it degraded him to do so. However, it was necessary for his family to leave unharmed. He further uses it as his own credo. He repeats it in his sermons. He states it to his son so that he will do homework. It has become his mantra, his reason of living and source of motivation. As for my own character, it is my means of coping. I know I’m working hard for a career I really don’t want to do, that I live by rules that make no sense; but I do what I have to do to survive in the life I’ve been dealt until I can break free. When that happens, I get to do what I want to do; which is to be myself; without fear of suppression in all its forms, without the searing gazes of disapproval.

I chose this movie because it had an impact on my life (as i just shared with you), and also, it's just a great movie

Comment

Thats no problem Tali

The great debaters was a pretty decent movie. It had a great story to tell, and that kept you tuned in. There was a certain inconsistency with character development throughout the movie, and at times the movie felt overly cinematic. The movie was very rich in content, but for me fell short in the execution or directing it deserved. Overall I enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation Tali!

I will recommend the next movie within the next movie in the next few days. Unless someone else wants to chime in with a review. People are welcome to write a review even if we have moved on.

Comment

Next movie: Kinji Fukasaku - Battle Royale (2000)

Let me know if you have trouble finding it. The way I figure we play this is, if anyone wants to come in and watch current or any previous movies and comment they can pick a movie. We are going to move onto next film.

Comment

I was about to ask.. how was 2 hours equivalent to the next few days?

Ok, I'll probably have to put off my search til next weekend anyway, but I'll do my best
                      Sounds like a great plan!

Comment

Working...
                      X