Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian - crossed arches - quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian - crossed arches - quest

Hi everybody ,
    I need your help, please , maybe you are kind to help me understand something about this kind of arches :

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5209/...2ec920e2_z.jpg
    My question is : ARE THEY ARMENIAN ARCHES
    ?

Could we call them "amenian" ?
    Are the amenians the first to utilise these kind of crossed arches , or do they apear in other architectural style ?

When I google "armenian arches" it shows poor infos about that issue, maybe
    you, armenian people , know it better !

Thank you all in advance for answering my questions !

Re: Armenian - crossed arches - quest

The photo shows a 19thC church, Armenian I guess - since it is a pastiche of forms and motifs found in medieval Armenian architecture. You find crossing rib arches like this in 13th century Armenian gavits.There is no such architectural term as "Armenian arches" but in the 1930s Baltrusaitis attempted to prove that this form originated in Armenia (though his theory has long since been discredited - see Christina Maranchi's "Medieval Armenian Architecture - Constructions of Race and Nation").
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Im happy to find somebody to discus about a really important matter for me.
      Indeed these gavits have them (Haghartsin Monastery refectory,
      Library in Goshavank,Gegharda, Gandzasar ) with mention they’re not used at the most important place, the church but refectory or library , the auxiliary spaces . Later, Armenian ecclesiastic architecture , 18 ( Paris ) and 19-20 ( Yerevan St. Gregory Illuminator ) century, the architects focus on them and get this structure on the top probably because it is beautiful, resistant , creating a functional open space and very important cross shaped .
      I think same reasons made St. John Maximovich of St Francisco to choose these arches for his 20 century Russian Californian church .
      It would be interesting for me to read arguments of Baltrusaitis and Christna Maranchi but where could I find those writings ?
      Thank you very much for your post !

Comment

The narthex/hall of the Apostles church at Ani also has a vault supported by rib arches that cross over each other. So too has the kitchen at the Ishak Pasha palace, though this is a much later building.

In Armenia, this form of roofing is probably derived from the wooden roofs of traditional houses - the type of timber dome called a hazarashen - but it has evolved into a form that is suitable for masonry construction.

Vaults made with these crossing rib arches are found in other countries with architectural histories unconnected to Armenia, and they are also found in buildings earlier than those in Armenia - so the form did not originate in Armenia and spread out from there. However, this form of roofing may have evolved in Armenia independantly, and Armenia is the only country where it was used in such a widespread way that it could be said to be one of the defining features of its national architecture.

The photo shows the interior of the Armenian church in Paris - which is a late 19th century building I think. It seems to have been quite a popular form to use for Armenian churches in the 19th century. Hovhannes Katchaznouni produced unrealised designs for an Armenian cathedral in Baku that also had crossing rib arches. And, as you mentioned, the ugly new cathedral in Yerevan uses them.

The book by Maranchi is in print. It takes an unusual approach to the subject in that it does not attempt to give a new history or description of Armenian architecture, but is a history of what others have, in the past, written about medieval Armenian architecture.

The book by Jurgis Baltrusaitis is long out of print, it is in French and was published in the 1930s. The book is entirely about these "Armenian" rib arches and he attempts to prove there is a direct connection between buildings in Armenia and similar structures in Europe. The problem with his theory was that he was writing without knowing the correct dates that the Armenian buildings were constructed - he thought that they were older than they actually are. If you want a printed facsimile copy of that book and can use ebay and paypal, then maybe something can be arranged. Send me a private message.

BTW, your "maybe you Armenian people know it better" comment gave me a smile.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

That comment was meant to bring out if the arches are associated by the people as a national feature.
          Anyway giving a smile is nice

Your post is excellent, well documented, answering with eloquence to all the questions.( I was inspired to write on this forum )

If your are kind please let me know some other examples of nations or architectural styles using this kind of rib arches, or I will find them in Baltrusaitis book ?
          Do Maranchi's book make corrections to Baltrusaiti's ?
          Those traditional "timber dome called a hazarashen" would be interesting to see because the origin of a structure depends on materials available .Though not timber but stone is what I think armenians have on the hand and arches very often mean stone.

So it appears that armenian architects and clergy wanted them as a symbol in a time when national-religious identity was worldwide a goal and architecture as always is used to achieve it.

Hovhannes Katchaznouni's unrealized cathedral would be useful to see how did he filled the spaces between the ribs and connect them with the dome and the apses.
          Style is what defines someone , not necessarily an element but the way you use it , that could make the difference ( diversity ).

I wrote you an private message , but I don't know if you got it for it not saved in my sent items box.

Comment

conclusions

I wrote the book and all I got is :
            First there were the orientals who used them but in more decorative way.
            Second the Armenians, more logical , structural and cross like.
            Third occidentals more sophisticated, complex.
            Forth, we used them nice and apparently simple.
            Feeling better knowing were we are
            Thank you !

Comment

Working...
            X