Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

4/5.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

• Re: Movie Reviews

We seldom pay tribute to the founding fathers of the Seventh Art, the following is to remember Georges Méliès, known as the "Father of Special Effects."

To summarize his work
      - The movies aree really short - the later ones became a bit longer
      - Most of the movies are conceived as "stage acts" meant to entertain, based on illusions - Méliès performed as a magician; the later, and longer ones, told a simple story
      - Acting and the role of "actors" do not seem to be primordial
      - The technical aspect is central

I recommend the following:
      - Le locataire diabolique (1909) - is in color
      - Le voyage dans la lune (1902) - feels, at times, more like an animation
      - L'homme orchestre (1900) - is real short and simple
      Some of them are available on Youtube; of course, the quality is poor.

- A documentary on Youtube
      - Myspace profile

A Brief Description (From Wikipedia)

Before making films, he was a stage magician at the Theatre Robert-Houdin. In 1895, he became interested in film after seeing a demonstration of the Lumière brothers' camera...He directed 531 films between 1896 and 1914, ranging in length from one to forty minutes. In subject matter, these films are often similar to the magic theater shows that Méliès had been doing, containing "tricks" and impossible events, such as objects disappearing or changing size.

His most famous film is A Trip to the Moon (Le voyage dans la Lune) made in 1902, which includes the celebrated scene in which a spaceship hits the eye of the man in the moon. Also famous is The Impossible Voyage (Le voyage à travers l'impossible) from 1904. Both of these films are about strange voyages, somewhat in the style of Jules Verne. These are considered to be some of the most important early science fiction films, although their approach is closer to fantasy.

In addition horror cinema can be traced back to Georges Méliès's Le Manoir du diable (1896).

His 1899 short film Cleopatra was believed to be a lost film until a copy was discovered in 2005 in Paris.

In 1913 Georges Méliès' film company was forced into bankruptcy by the large French and American studios and his company was bought out of receivership by Pathé Frères. After being driven out of business Méliès became a toy salesman at the Montparnasse station. In 1932 the Cinema Society gave Méliès a home in Château d'Orly. Méliès did not grasp the value of his films, and with some 500 films recorded on cellulose, the French Army seized most of this stock to be melted down into boot heels during World War I. Many of the other films were sold to be recycled into new film. As a result many of these films do not exist today. In time, Méliès was rediscovered and honored for his work, eventually taking up stage performance.

A Comprehensive Article(Excerpt)
      Méliès: Inspirations & Illusions

It is virtually impossible to over-estimate Georges Méliès' contribution to the art of film. His work stands alone and is as distinctive as that of all great geniuses. His pioneering visual techniques still maintain a wonder to all ages and it comes as no surprise that audiences who witnessed a succession of vanishing ladies, flying severed heads, monstrous bats and the Devil personified were astonished in much the same way that audiences are today.
      Méliès' illusions were simply an extension of those he had performed as a young magician in the Théatre Robert-Houdin, however, the discovery of film opened up a whole new world for him, filled with opportunity.

For the integral text: http://www.mshepley.btinternet.co.uk/melies.htm

Next: Sergey Eisenstein????
      Last edited by Siamanto; 05-28-2008, 08:32 PM.
      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Georges Méliès knows his camera tricks.

Comment

I enjoyed "Persepolis" enough to be encouraged to discover other Iranian directors. It's a remarkable work: I enjoyed the graphics, the plot, the dialogs etc.

Persepolis

The movies that I later watched - about ten - may or may not be representative of the the Iranian Movie Industry, but it seemed to me - based on my subjective appreciation - that they are either "mediocre" i.e. 2-4, or "exceptional" i.e. 6-8; nothing/very little in between???? Mediocre because of the poor camera work, poor acting, simplistic plot, poor editing, plain dialogs. However, some may not find them mediocre; for instance, "Close Up" is rated 8.2; I did not check the rating of all of them.

The movies that stood out are:
          Gabbeh
          - Gabbeh: Visually delightful, tastefully colorful, beautiful scenery, technically good, story can be improved. I don't know in what part of Iran it was shot, but it seems to be about a Kurdish??? tribe, and it's a region where it snows.
          Later, I have read that the director was influenced by Paradjanov

The House is Black
          - The House Is Black: A documentary about leprosy, good camera work, well done. At times, hard to watch????

Bashu, the Little Stranger
          - Bashu, the Little Stranger: The acting of the actress is remarkable, it's about the adoption/rejection of a boy who escapes the war in the south and ends up in a village in the north where he is considered as a "foreigner" - i.e. they don't understand the language - Arabic??? - he speaks, and, "notice" too often the color of his skin.
          Last edited by Siamanto; 06-01-2008, 10:11 PM.
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

USE THE FOLLOWING THREAD FOR MOVIE REVIEWS:

Comment

I thought that the other thread was for "Banned" members???

Actually, I like your idea of merging the two; do you want to PM Anonymouse or a Mod/Admin of your choice?
              Unfortunately, I have started posting here; I'll wait until the two threads are merged.

Comment

Does anyone know of this?????? Looks good.

KELE LAO

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Last edited by Azad; 06-03-2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azad View Post
                  Does anyone know of this?????? Looks good.

KELE LAO

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j7Y7xcxKKDs&feature=related
                  What is this about?

Comment

Originally posted by robertik1 View Post
                    What is this about?
                    I don't know. It looks good.
                    This is one of the least advertised movies I have ever seen.
                    The only thing I find is a My Space page with nothing in it.

Martine Borg (martineborg)'s profile on Myspace, the place where people come to connect, discover, and share.

It looks like an Armenian family in France were the kid is kidnapped...

Comment

Garden State, 10/10

Comment

Working...
                      X