Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Bucket List
    7.5/10 - Pretty unique plot and nice ending.

Get Smart
    6/10 - If you've seen Johnny English...this is pretty much the same thing except Azamat (aka Ken Davitian) is in it.

Hellboy II: Golden Army
    7/10 - Some good action scenes and humour but a lot of the sub-plots could've been developped a little more.
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Federate I havent seen Hellboyll yet but the other ones were good movies, In my opinion Get Smart was better.
      Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

The day I watch Get Smart shall be the day ArmenianClub members can execute me.

Comment

Why do you say that One-Way?

Comment

Do I have to explain myself?

Movies like that make me embarrased, as a human being. The Love Guru, Get Smart and the like make me cringe when people say they watched them. I guess comedy has changed over the years but those movies sure as hell are not comedy.

Comment

Well to each there own, everyone has a diffrent taste.

Comment

Zelig
                A very creative and hilarious mockumentary by Woody Allen. At times, it's almost unbelievable how they made the film. Amazing cinematography which captured the 1930s so well.

Play It Again, Sam
                One of the first films where Allen's neurotic character is introduced, this is a must see for a film fan. Written, but not directed by Woody, the viewer must watch Casablanca beforehand. The story structure is taken directly from Casablanca and many references/quotes are taken from the film. Beautiful ending.

Cassandra’s Dream
                Woody Allen's 2007 thriller falls a bit short of his masterpiece Match Point. The setting is London, yet again, and McGregor/Farrell are both amazing. The story, at times, is a little slow and doesn't quite live up to the ending. Like all of his films, Allen manages to sway the viewer and completely draw them in as you sympathize with the characters.

Interiors
                This film is more takes more than a viewing to completely understand Allen's intentions. Interiors was the first drama released by Woody Allen and it came right after Annie Hall. A direct homage to Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers, Allen manages to set a tone for the entire picture and keep it flowing naturally.

Batman Begins
                The first installment of the Batman franchise Christopher Nolan has created, Batman Begins finally gives us an understanding of who Batman really is. While all other filmmakers before Nolan failed to introduce Bruce Wayne's story, Nolan takes us to the beginning and leaves us asking for more as it ends with a surprise.

I Heart Huckabees
                A very unique approach to filmmaking, I Heart Huckabees, is a philosophical essay portrayed through images. As each character tries to figure out why they're really here, the best thing about Huckabees is the cast. Wahlberg, Watts, Law... and Schwartzman are all pretty amazing.

Into The Wild
                I knew about the Chris McCandless story before this film so I guess that gave away the ending. Needless to say, the ending should be pretty obvious. At times, this film is an emotional look into the life of an individual who seeks freedom and peace. The very lengthy film could have sacrificed several unnecessary scenes. Overall, it dares viewers to fight for something they want to acheive.

Snatch.

Originally posted by Anonymous
                I also would recommend Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, which I would say is Guy Ritchie's British equivalent of the Quentin Tarantino films here.
                It's obvious -- if you enjoyed Tarantino's films -- you'll enjoy these. However, I found Tarantino's films much more enjoyable. Snatch was very intense, very fast paced, very full of action. At times, too much was happening and it wouldn't give me a break. Amazing cast, I even hoped Del Toro would have more scenes. Statham, too, was amazing during the entire film.

Spellbound
                A Hitchock classic, features two of my favorites, Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck. A psychological thriller which involves a doctor and her patient. The Dali dream sequence was very interesting, as was the "door" scene with their kiss. Ingrid Bergman is quite possibly the best actress cinema has seen.

Unbreakable
                Oh, my... Shyamalan has talent and the capability of telling a story with technical filmmaking. So... where was it during The Happening? The story behind Unbreakable did not and still does not interest me. With that said, Unbreakable is a true testament to the capabilities Shyamalan has when it comes to filmmaking. Excellent cast with beautiful cinematography -- I mean, beautiful -- the scenes were literally shot to resemble a comic book. Amazing filmmaking!

Lost in Translation
                Even before I saw any of her films, I knew I would get along with Sofia Coppola. I don't see her as the daughter of a famous filmmaker. I think in spite of that, Sofia Coppola tries to break free from her father's shadow and do something orginal on her own. Lost in Translation proves what she is truly capable of as a filmmaker. This film is love or hate, I doubt anybody will fall between the lines. I came across an analysis (theory) of the film, which explained the metaphors throughout the film. Whether or not that's true, it should be left up to the viewer to decide. However, I do think there is something deeper than the story of the film. Coppola gave us a work of art and those who choose not to look into it, will only scratch the surface of this film.
                Last edited by One-Way; 07-14-2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                  Interiors
                  This film is more takes more than a viewing to completely understand Allen's intentions. Interiors was the first drama released by Woody Allen and it came right before Annie Hall. A direct homage to Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers, Allen manages to set a tone for the entire picture and keep it flowing naturally.

I understood it to be a cheap Bergman knock-off. It's been a while since I've seen it (I really don't care to view it again) but I remember the dialogue being so bad it was almost funny, but still bad. Allen was trying too hard. Btw, I think it came out after Annie Hall, not before. Autumn Sonata, a similar and probably superior film by Bergman, was released the same year.

I also thought Mary Beth Hurt was good. I think she played one of the sisters. What ever happened to her?
                  Last edited by TomServo; 07-14-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                    I understood it to be a cheap Bergman knock-off. It's been a while since I've seen it (I really don't care to view it again) but I remember the dialogue being so bad it was almost funny, but still bad. Allen was trying too hard. Btw, I think it came out after Annie Hall, not before. Autumn Sonata, a similar and probably superior film by Bergman, was released the same year.

I also thought Mary Beth Hurt was good. I think she played one of the sisters. What ever happened to her?
                    I stand corrected, it did come out after Annie Hall.

Overall, I think Allen accomplished what he set out to do: create a tone for the film which can last until it has ended and even after.

Mary Beth Hurt, in my opinion, outshined everybody else. I can't believe she doesn't get as much praise as Diane Keaton, for example. She's done a few roles here and there but nothing important. I guess that's why she's overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                      I've never seen a Fassbinder, but I always thought Berlin Alexanderplatz was a feature film.
                      Maybe you should start with Berlin Alexanderplatz??? Unfortunately, it's hard to watch 15 hours in one day, so you'll have to plan it; but it's worth the time. My only "complaint" is that I don't understand German, and when the dialog is "dense," reading the subtitles does not allow to fully appreciate the visual i.e. the body language, and the beautiful photography/camera work. Rewinding and replaying helps, but adds some discontinuity to the pleasure.
                      Last edited by Siamanto; 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM.
                      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X