Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Film Thread

First of all, let me start off by telling you this story.

A about two weeks ago, I was driving to Malibu with my cinematographer and my girlfriend's brother. I was filming my short film which I officially wrap up tomorrow. The drive was fairly long so we began discussing films. I love to go in depth about films I've seen, obviously because I'm studying film. I'm not an expert or a critic just yet so I don't act like I am. There are a lot of things I don't know so I try to learn by viewing films, discussing them, and reading about them.

So, my camerman is in his 40s, he's Russian-Armenian and he's been influenced by some greats. We began discussing all sorts of films, mainly international films such as Fellini, Bergman, etc. I asked him about Fellini's film , which is one of the first films I saw this summer for my film marathon. It's been received as one of the best films ever, and let me tell you, it's a lot to take in. While watching it, I felt quite embarrased for not being able to keep up and understand everything. I read as much as I could about it, and no matter how much you read, it definitely takes more than one viewing. In fact, it takes more than that. It takes time.

My cameraman told me he saw it many, many years ago and didn't understand many things as well. He told me it was because of his age. He said to me there are many films that take years until you can digest them. You need life experience to understand what the filmmaker was trying to tell through his images. is about life and growing older and facing yourself when you're in a difficult position about what move to make next. He was able to understand the film better as he reached that certain age when he felt the same way.

I think it's the same with Bergman's films. Bergman was able to establish a tone from the beginning of his films and set that tone throughout the entire picture. This is why I believe Allen did an amazing job with Interiors; however, many will claim the film isn't done in well taste or is boring. When I saw The Seventh Seal, I knew I was about to watch a masterpiece. I knew it was going to be hard to take in on a first viewing. I tried to take it all in and analyze the film for myself. I've only seen it once but it's quite clear what immediately grabbed my attention. I've read what some people have said about the film before. Those who have enjoyed it have spoken about its symbolism which is religiously oriented; Joseph and Mary traveling with their child. They also mentioned that before this film, no one had experimented with the themes of death or the meaning of life in a thought provoking way.

I like to think of the film for its visual imagery. Bergman was on a tight budget but it's so beautiful shot, it's beautiful. I'm not sure if I read this or saw an interview, but someone spoke about Bergman and his experience with him during an interview. Bergman just stopped with the interview, turned around and said to a crew member, "You know, if you open that door behind me, it will add a little more light to the scene and add some depth to the picture." That's the type of man Bergman was. He knew exactly what to look for to make his films visually beautiful. I also like to describe the film as people trying to find meaning in a death driven world. I mean, isn't that what we're all doing anyway? Philosophy, is what it is. This film relies heavily on it and in such an interesting way only Bergman was able to pull it off. The encounter with death, knowing your about to die, and ultimately leading up to your own demise. It's an interpretation of death and how Bergman displayed that for us.

A lot more can be said and maybe in a few years, I'll be able to analyze the film in a much more critical standpoint.

Comment

Maybe I do need to let it digest and maybe watch it at a later time and see what I think.

Actually, when I saw it I was in my Religion and Art class so I can clearly state all the underlying religious symbolism in the movie. The problem was that it literally put me to sleep. I later went to Blockbuster and rented it and watched it a number of times. I agree that the cinematography is beautiful yet the story just didn't entice me. I suppose it's my personal preference as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by LadySilver View Post
        Maybe I do need to let it digest and maybe watch it at a later time and see what I think.

Actually, when I saw it I was in my Religion and Art class so I can clearly state all the underlying religious symbolism in the movie. The problem was that it literally put me to sleep. I later went to Blockbuster and rented it and watched it a number of times. I agree that the cinematography is beautiful yet the story just didn't entice me. I suppose it's my personal preference as of now.
        Well, as far as the story goes, I see it as philosophy. You can interview people about death, analyze articles you read and in the end, make your own interpretation about it. That's what I see in this film, Bergman exploring such themes and he uses very powerful characters (Death) to achieve his goal.

Good to see you rented the film and tried watching it again instead of brushing it off the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
          Well, as far as the story goes, I see it as philosophy. You can interview people about death, analyze articles you read and in the end, make your own interpretation about it. That's what I see in this film, Bergman exploring such themes and he uses very powerful characters (Death) to achieve his goal.

Good to see you rented the film and tried watching it again instead of brushing it off the first time.
          I'm not one for brushing off movies, if I don't understand it then I try and watch it again. Maybe in a few years I'll come to a similar conclusion as you.

Belle de Jour: 9/10
          I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I absolutely love this movie thanks to Siamanto. It's about a young woman who marries a doctor yet can't be intimate with him which drives her to join a "brothel". It goes in and out of what is real and what is not, it drives me insane not knowing what's in that box?????

Comment

Lakeview Terrace
            5/5

Excellent Movie
            Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

My film is officially in post-production. I don't want to get into it but I just felt like I should declare this joyous moment. As far as films go, I didn't see one today but my neighbors are watching something and it's unusually LOUD. It's 1am and I guess they're in the mood for the loudest action movie ever.

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
              Lakeview Terrace
              5/5

Excellent Movie
              Come on...

Comment

I really liked the movie, everyone is entitled to there own opinion, right?

Comment

Um, no?

Comment

Ok whatever One- Way

Comment

Congrats on the Post Production status One-Way.

Love Story: 7/10
                      Enjoyable love story about two college students which ends tragically. I liked the plot and the actors just wished that the scene transitions were better.

Comment

Working...
                      X