Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Sean Penn is an amazing actor I liked him alot in
    "I Am Sam"
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

This past weekend I saw

Terminator Salvation and i give it a 7.25/10

I also rented

Ne le dis à personne (Tell no one) and give it a 7.75/10

Comment

UP

7.5/10

Last edited by ara87; 05-29-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty excited to see Up, although I'm surprised at your rating. It's been receiving some pretty strong reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
            I'm pretty excited to see Up, although I'm surprised at your rating. It's been receiving some pretty strong reviews.
            Oops i forgot to tack the ".5" at the end of that, but even 7/10 is high for me, 8+ is reserved for films of a higher caliber

Comment

Suddenly, Last Summer

On May 21, on behalf of the 50th anniversary of Joseph L. Mankiewicz's film, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences screened Suddenly, Last Summer. Prior to the screening, a panel discussion was held with Ben Mankiewicz serving as the night's host. The panel discussion ncluded acting legend Sidney Poitier, Martin Landau, Rosemary Mankiewicz (Joseph's wife) and Tom Mankiewicz (Joseph's son). It was truly a memorable evening, especially after seeing these wonderfully talented people on stage. Ben Mankiewicz was surprisingly hilarious, while Poitier and Landau shared what it was like to work alongside Joseph L. Mankiewicz.

Suddenly, Last Summer is a film that would hardly work with today's audience. Its subject matter wouldn't shock society today, they would simply disregard the film. We live in a cruel world and hear about brutality, murder and horrific events each and every day. Suddenly, Last Summer presents us with complex characters driven to madness by an unimaginable- in those days - event.

Montgomery Clift gives an outstanding performance as Dr. Cukrowicz, accompanied by the pleasantful Elizabeth Taylor and Katherine Hepburn. The film is written by Gore Vidal, adapted by Tennesee Williams' play, which is said to mirror his own troubled life. The film feels like a play itself and, thanks to Joseph L. Mankiewicz's direction, each scene feels like we're watching these wonderful actors on stage.

The Alzheimer's Project: The Memory Loss Tapes

The Alzheimer's Project is an HBO mini-series that takes a look at the families and victims behind the disease as well as the forces leading us to find a cure. After hearing so many good things about the program, I decided to give it a watch.

The Memory Loss Tapes is the first segment of the mini-series which presents seven victims who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. Each of these people are at different stages in their disease and are faced with unique obstacles. The documentary does a great job introducing each of these people and allowing us to take a glimpse in their lives.

As we become introduced to these people, we begin to feel like we know them. Not only do we begin to realize how difficult living with this disease must be, we begin to build our emotions for these people. There are certain moments where you just stop and think to yourself if what you're watching is real. Could life be so cruel?

Unfortunately, it can. By the time we reach the seventh individual, Cliff Holman, we've had all we can handle. We have been through the early stages of Alzheimer's and its most painful. While one man blogs about his disease, preparing his family for what's to come, another woman has conversations with herself in a mirror. It shatters our heart because she actually thinks she's talking to somebody else. It tears our heart into pieces. What in the world does the family feel?

Cliff Holman's story is brutal. After a long career in television, he's sucombed to the deadly disease. Every second feels like a lifetime as Cliff's wife sits patiently by her beloved husband's side. It's painful to see, and to be completely honest, watching all of this unfold was one of the hardest things to do in my life. I couldn't hold my emotions in near the end and I don't think another film or documentary could have the same impact on me.

In a way, we all need to see The Alzheimer's Project. It's essential to understand the disease and what it does to the victim and their families. However, it's not so easy to sit through each case and it's defintely not for everyone.

The Alzheimer's Project: Grandpa, Do You Know Who I Am?

In the second part of HBO's The Alzheimer's Project, Maria Shriver hosts. This program tells five stories of children, ages 6-15, who are coping with grandparents suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. Maria Shriver's commentary delivers valuable information and lessons for both the kids and the viewers, along with ways to cope with the illness.

Moon

It wasn't too long ago when I was searching for Clint Mansell, possibly to find tour information. I quickly discovered he had composed for a new film, which was starring Sam Rockwell in Duncan Jones' film, Moon. Although I hadn't heard of the film, I watched its trailer and it was surpisingly different.

Moon tells the story of Sam Bell, an astronaut who is at the end of his three year contract working on the Moon. Bell works alongside his computer, GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey), as they send back to Earth parcels of a resource that has helped diminish our planet's power problems.

Moon is an incredible story executed brilliantly by Sam Rockwell's performance. The film is essentially a one man show. In today's society, it's incredibly difficult to deliver a good film, especially one that takes place on the Moon, by a single character. Well, it's just that good of a film and it's an excellent directorial debut by Duncan Jones, who also created the story for the film.

Although Moon has its share of flaws, the execution of the film works quite nicely. It's great to see Rockwell in a much more serious role, although he is quite comedic when he needs to be. I think will be getting much more attention once it's released and will have audience's admiring its effort. As you'd expect, Clint Mansell's score is hauntingly beautiful.

Comment

American Psycho 7.25/10

Comment

Casablanca (Second Viewing)

If you ever have the opportunity of seeing Casablanca on the big screen, do everything and anything you can to see it. I have seen Casablanca twice now and both times on the big screen. Last night, my girlfriend and I saw the film at the Billy Wilder Theater in Los Angeles.

Seeing it for the second time allowed me to truly fall in love with the film. Casablanca requires multiple viewings, not to decipher any complex messages or plots, but because it plays better each time. The comedic dialogue becomes much more appealing and obvious, you find yourself admiring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, and become lost in their world with the film's beautiful soundtrack.

There really isn't anything bad to say about a film like Casablanca. The cast is exceptionally brilliant, along with its superb supporting cast. The screenplay runs beautifully, the crisp dialogue still bringing laughs and tears. The entire feel of the picture makes you admire the effort that must have went to the creation of the film. It's no wonder why Casablanca is one of the greatest American films of all time.

Whether or not you've seen Casablanca, you must see the film on the big screen. It's something to tell your kids one day.

Comment

Banlieue 13(District B-13 or B-13) 6.8/10

A french film from 2004, set in 2010. In where the ghettos of Paris are walled off from the outside world, the worst of which is District B13. B13 is controlled by a ruthless crime lord, Taha, and his thugs. Leïto a B13 native is determined to bring Taha down, however after stealing and destroying 1,000,000 euros worth of heroine form him, Taha retaliates by kidnapping Leïto's sister, Lola. Meanwhile, an undercover cop named Damien, is assigned a mission to infiltrate B13 to disarm and retrieve a neutron bomb which had been stolen by Taha. Leïto's and Damien's paths cross and they decide to team up against Taha, however there may be bigger fish to fry

Trailer

Make sure if you try too see this film that you don't see the sequel, B-13 Ultimatum, which came out earlier this year, I haven't seen it to know for certain, but it's supposed to be a big let down
                    Last edited by ara87; 06-12-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Taken 7.25

There were some things I didn't like about the movie but overall it was decent

Comment

Working...
                      X