Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
    I always love true life movies always interesting...it shows you what really happened, not like the news when they hide stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
      Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Blue Valentine (Second Viewing)

This was my second viewing of this film, which was brought up after my recent obsession with Ryan Gosling. I think this is his best performance, and the film that really made me realize how capable and versatile he is as an actor. Michelle Williams is also terrific in this film and they have excellent chemistry together. It's really my favorite film of last year with my two favorite working actors.

9/10

A Clockwork Orange

I think the first 45 minutes of this film is pure brilliance. In terms of character, narrative, music, editing and montage, this is arguably the best 45 minutes in any film. I feel like the film takes an awkward turn from there on when Alex is arrested. I also recently had a chance to hang out with Malcolm McDowell, which felt like hanging out with a rapist. In a sense, I feel like the film switches its tone and becomes reformed at the same time the protagonist does. In either case, this is still a masterwork in my opinion, and having the rest of the film resemble the beginning part of the film would make this another work entirely.

9/10

Murder by Contract

This is an excellent B-film that served as the inspiration for Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver. In every sense, you can see why. The film focuses on a man who moves into murdering people for money, and follows him to Los Angeles for an assignment. I recommend this film to everyone. It's short, it's executed beautifully, it's an excellent character-driven story with sharp writing and a hypnotic score. This is an immediate and personal favorite for me.

8.5/10

Barry Lyndon

Barry Lyndon could possibly be my favorite Stanley Kubrick film, although the scope of 2001: A Space Odyssey is mind-blowing. I couldn't have been more entertained by this film, which runs a little over 3 hours, but I'm sure that's not the case with many viewers. I was absored by its imagery and cinematography, and I felt like this film touched many levels; loyalty, friendship, greed and love. I also feel like it's Stanley Kubrick's most emotional film, although it's still cold and sterile in its approach.

10/10

Hyènes

I appreciate its approach of tackling serious matters in a drama that is laced with a lot of humor, but this film ultimately fell short on numerous levels. This is a film that when viewed outside of its historical context might not work well with audiences. I saw this film in one of my graduate classes, and even then, the film could have worked. I just didn't find much to grasp onto personally after the film, other than the symbolism of animals in this remote African culture.

6.5/10

The King of Comedy

If you have been exposed to Robert De Niro has a dramatic actor in films such as Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, and know of his range in acting in roles from films such as Mean Streets and Goodfellas, I believe The King of Comedy will shed a little more light on his genius. In the same manner that Robert De Niro exposes himself in Raging Bull, he does so with this role as well.

8/10

After Hours (Second Viewing)

This is the best film to watch late at night, because it's really a ride through a dark and very realistic city. In some ways, it's exhausting, but that's also the point of the film. I love films that are either set entirely in one location or over the span of several hours, this film sort of has both working for it.

8/10

Footloose

What's the big deal? Why can't I like Footloose?

I saw this after a midterm and I really wanted to have fun because that's the kind of film it is. I'll admit, there's a lot of other films I consider more fun than this. We're watching Goodfellas after my midterm on Wednesday, for example. That's fun.

This is a good film for what it is. It's a film to kick back and enjoy and I admit that I did. The humor is definitely all there, especially from the great timing of Miles Teller. Kenny Wormald is also a good actor (probably for these kinds of films, but I'd love to see him expand). The film was also produced by my former employer, so it was fun seeing the final product.

7/10

The Ides of March

I was really excited to see this film, and the answer is yes, for Ryan Gosling. The film also includes Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti, two of the finest actors working today. They're supported with fine acting from George Clooney, Evan Rachel Wood and Marisa Tomei. The film feels very much like a play in its staging and story structure. It's well-directed, but a director like David Fincher would elevate this film into a whole other level. The film feels very surfaced and it's not as aggressive as it should be. I didn't like the first act, and definitely felt like the film did better in its second and third acts. In all, it's a solid film, lacking brilliance.

8/10

Les bonnes femmes

I need to see this film again. The reason why is because I fell in love with the film at first glance. I need to go back and see if it's true love. I tend to feel this way after a lot of French films, but this was a film that worked on multiple levels. The film follows four girls (I love films that focus exclusively on women protagonists) and their everyday lives. The film is also a thriller, which switches its tone towards the end.

9/10

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

I was recommended this film by a student of mine. I guess I came off as someone that would enjoy this film. Well, I didn't. I think John Krasinski is a fine actor; he certainly gives a powerful performance towards the end. I just think this was bad directing with a screenplay that was much too convoluted. I don't like films that are unconventional just to be unconventional, and this was this film's problem.

6/10

The Last Temptation of Christ

The film definitely takes a controversial approach in the life of Jesus, but the director is Martin Scorsese, so, it's going to be a Martin Scorsese film. I felt much more engaged as the film progressed. I think future screenings would elevate my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of Willem Dafoe, but he's playing God here, and he certainly takes command of his role.

8.5/10

The Libertine

The same student who recommended Brief Interviews with Hideous Men also recommend The Libertine. It's because she knows I love Stanley Kubrick and she thinks this film resembled Barry Lyndon. Well, it doesn't. The director of the film decides to use a similar approach to Barry Lyndon; use natural light and candlelight for its scenes. The problem here is that the entire film looks dark and dirty. In some ways, it feels true to its time, but it's dull to watch. Barry Lyndon is lyrical, almost like a painting in and of itself, and is much more enriching to sit through. The film is held together with its terrific performances (who do all they can with a poor screenplay), particularly Johnny Depp. In the end, I wish a better screenplay was in the hands of a better director, because the story isn't all that bad.

6.5/10

Comment

I Love You Man

A man that is going to get married & needs to find a best man & also needs to find friends.
          Very funny movie

4/5

Comment

You Don't Know Jack

The true life of Jack Kevorkian

I was against his theories but now I agree with him, he never killed anyone
            5/5. Excellent Movie!

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
              You Don't Know Jack

The true life of Jack Kevorkian

I was against his theories but now I agree with him, he never killed anyone
              5/5. Excellent Movie!
              Best. Review. Ever.

Comment

Best. Review. Ever.
                I don't know if your being sarcastic or not, so I will say thanks & stop right there

Comment

Well, it's not so much as sarcasm, as it is curiosity in how you experience films.

First of all, based on your review, you specify that you were against Dr. Jack Kevorkian's "theories" but you know agree with them. This leads me to believe that you were against his beliefs without actually knowing anything about them. I'm curious, then, why you didn't bother to do a little bit of research and reading to see what his "theories" were beforehand. In other words, why were you against his "theories" without knowing anything about them?

Second of all, is everything in this film absolutely true because it's based on his life? In other words, this film changed your mind drastically, but it's just a film, is it not? Why couldn't you have used your own brain to figure out what is right and wrong in regards to Dr. Jack Kevorkian and rather left a film to make up your mind for you?

This is a serious question, no sarcasm. I'm simply curious.

Comment

Well, it's not so much as sarcasm, as it is curiosity in how you experience films.

First of all, based on your review, you specify that you were against Dr. Jack Kevorkian's "theories" but you know agree with them. This leads me to believe that you were against his beliefs without actually knowing anything about them. I'm curious, then, why you didn't bother to do a little bit of research and reading to see what his "theories" were beforehand. In other words, why were you against his "theories" without knowing anything about them?

Second of all, is everything in this film absolutely true because it's based on his life? In other words, this film changed your mind drastically, but it's just a film, is it not? Why couldn't you have used your own brain to figure out what is right and wrong in regards to Dr. Jack Kevorkian and rather left a film to make up your mind for you?

This is a serious question, no sarcasm. I'm simply curious.
                    To be honest with you, I was being lazy & really didin't care at that time. But because the film is a true story it changed my views about him. So before I have an opinion on something I have no right to sat anything until I research it. Hope I answered your question...Good Night

Comment

You didn't, but I wasn't really expecting that you would.

Comment

Working...
                      X