Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Found this - sounds interesting.

Movie Review: If Only Everyone

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT - BY JANET KLJYAN ON JANUARY 20, 2013 10:54 AM

If Only Everyone is a thoroughly post-Soviet Armenian film. It's
    written in two languages, Armenian and Russian (three, if you count
    Karabakhi Armenian), with a Soviet soundtrack and a plot intimately
    intertwined with Armenia's relationships with its neighbors - Russia and
    Azerbaijan. The film viewing was at the St. Vartan Armenian Cathedral
    on 2nd Avenue and 34th Street in Manhattan (where I attended Armenian
    school as a child). Staying true to our Armenian roots, the viewing
    started a full half-hour late and the planned Skype Q&A session with
    Mr. Poghosian was derailed by crappy internet connection.
    While I watched, I wondered how everyone else was taking it in. I read
    the English subtitles to understand the Russian dialogue; others in
    the audience perhaps needed the subtitles to understand the whole
    film, or only when the particular dialect of Armenian was beyond their
    grasp; and yet others had no need for the subtitles. We experienced
    the film in our own ways; but we laughed at the same parts, and cried
    at the same parts.

The film's plot can be revealed, since the joy of it is does not stem
    from a suspenseful plot. Sasha Maslennikov (played by Yekaterina
    xxxxova) arrives in Yerevan from Saratov, Russia, carrying a young
    birch to plant at her father's gravesite. Sasha's father was Russian,
    and her mother was Armenian, killed in the Sumgait massacres of
    Armenians by the Azeris that sparked the war between the two nations.
    The Sumgait (and Baku) massacres followed as a result of a vote by the
    majority-Armenian population of Karabakh to secede from Azerbaijan.
    The war ended with ceasefire in 1994. Sasha's father died fighting
    beside the Armenians. In Yerevan, she finds Gurgen (`Gugo,' played by
    Michael Poghosian), who was the commander of her father's unit and
    presumably knows where her father is buried. Gugo confesses he doesn't
    know the site of his grave because he was laying in a field hospital
    at the time of his death; his coming-to-terms with his survivor's
    guilt is integral to his character's development throughout the film.
    Gugo takes Sasha to meet his fellow fedayeen, nicknamed `Arj' (`Bear')
    in Vayk, who may know the location of her father's grave.
    Upon arriving in Karabakh, and conferring with another
    brother-at-arms, a man nicknamed `Mult' (`Cartoon'), they discover
    that the grave is located beyond the heavily-guarded border - on
    Azerbaijani-controlled land. Gugo and Sasha eventually sneak over the
    border and plant the birch, when an Azeri shepherd confronts them
    weapon in hand. Gugo and Sasha explain their purpose, and the Azeri
    man lowers his weapon. He explains that he is a Karabakhi and his
    10-year-old son died from an exploding landmine, on a grave beyond the
    border, on Armenian-controlled land. Back on home territory, Gugo and
    Sasha plant a birch on the gravesite of the shephard's son on his
    behalf.
    Undoubtedly, the film's humor and its attention to detail are what
    make it so enjoyable. Simple and surprisingly uncontrived, everything
    about the film makes sense. Though they lack some depth, Arj, Mult and
    Gugo are very lovable and have great chemistry together. Aptly named,
    Arj and Mult stole the show; Arj, a diabetic with a reckless appetite
    for ice cream and hibernation, and Mult, who is perfectly balanced on
    the line between character and caricature. I appreciated the scenes of
    everyday life: the holiday of Vardavar, making tonir-baked lavash, a
    kef, and of course, a kef brawl.

I anticipate that some will say that the film wasn't `political.'
    Some will say that this is a flaw, some will say, a strength.
    Certainly, `If Only Everyone,' selected as the Armenian entry for Best
    Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards, lacks the fierce
    nationalism and patriotism that characterizes much of the rhetoric of
    Armenian politics and the collective identities of Armenians around
    the world. In the midst of unsuccessful peace negotiations between the
    two nations' presidents, each character in the film struggles to make
    peace with themselves - their own losses, their own pain, and their
    nagging questions about the war and its purpose.
    A wise friend of mine once said - with regard to Armenian-Azeri
    relations - that acknowledging someone else's pain does not diminish
    your own. The film reflects this very notion - between Gugo and the
    shepherd - who developed trust in the instant they acknowledged each
    other's loss. Don't misunderstand me: `If Only Everyone' is much too
    self-aware and honest to promote a We-Are-the-World-type message.
    Instead, it suggests that it's time to move on from brooding over who
    committed which inhumanities against the other. It proposes, as my
    friend did, that perhaps each side acknowledging the other side's
    pain - and thus, building trust - would be enough to actually turn a page
    in these ongoing peace negotiations. I can't imagine a more
    `political' message.

Now, the film isn't perfect. Sasha's lack of depth is exacerbated by
    xxxxova's performance: xxxxova is much too aware of her own
    character's child-like qualities and is, frankly, a very unconvincing
    giggler. Poghosian's performance is borderline melodramatic. Moreover,
    at times, the film almost seems as if it is geared toward a
    non-Armenian audience - it is a little too focused on the `quirky'
    aspects of Armenian culture, as an outsider would see them. However,
    perhaps this is excusable since Sasha is, in fact, an outsider
    experiencing Armenia for the first time (in this regard, If Only
    Everyone is eons better than Braden King's film, Here, which was shot
    entirely in Armenia). If Only Everyone is clever, brave, and
    beautifully filmed, and certainly worth the watch. I look forward to
    more like it.
    Trailer:

If Only Everyone, directed by Nataliya Belyauskene, written by Michael
    Poghosian, screenplay; Theresa Varzhapetyan and Michael Poghosian,
    starring Yekaterina Chitova, Michael Poghosian, Vahagn Simonyan, Mher
    Levonyan, Karen Jangirov, original music; Vahagn Hayrapetyan.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Two friends who are planning to go to Amsterdam find themselves in a predicament when on the plane they decide to use weed with a bong & people are mistaken that it is a bomb, the government is trying to search where they are & they are doing everything in there powers not to get caught.

I've seen this one & White Castle.....I have yet to seen the Christmas one
      4/5
      Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Sister

Ursula Meier's film is an examination of childhood from a perspective that hasn't been communicated in many other films. The film's center of focus is Simon (played by a very effective Kacey Mottet Klein), who lurks around a ski resort and steals people's belongings. Simon goes after anything that's available - skis, masks, gloves, food - these are all objects he can sell in the streets for money, except, of course, for the food, which he desperately needs.

Simon lives with his older sister, Louise (Léa Seydoux) who doesn't do much. Louise goes out with guys and is careless about her job, so Simon is both the youngest and oldest person in the household; he gives her money, she asks him for advice, and so on.

Simon and Louise live in the lower part of the city and so the contrast between poverty/wealth couldn't be more clear. In the sky, in the ski resort, that's where the rich people lurk with their families, but down in the city, that's where two children live on their own, disconnected from the world, without a family.

The film very much feels like a film the Dardenne brothers could have produced and their influence on the director is quite obvious. This is The 400 Blows meets The Kid with a Bike. In examining the relationship between brother and sister, the film also features excellent cinematography from the very talented Agnès Godard, whose creates both beautiful images of landscapes and mountains as well as gritty, raw images that take up mot of the film.

There is a twist in Sister that comes halfway through. It's a shock and everything we know about these characters immediately change - our perspective of them change, we begin reexamining everything we've seen previously. This isn't a film with many surprises, rather, it's a study of two very flawed children. There isn't a lot going on, but there's a lot there. The director just prefers holding some of the information from us and lets us think about the character's relationships and backstories on our own.

Cosmopolis

There is no doubt that Cosmopolis is dense and complex. The world represented here is a world we don't live in. The characters speak in ways so abstract that this may as well be a foreign film for all audiences.

The film begins with an image of a limousine. This will become our centerpiece for the story as we follow around Eric (Robert Pattinson) as he gets a haircut. Eric really, really wants this haircut and he'll sit through hours of traffic, meet with business associates, his wife, his mistress and others for this haircut.

There is something going on here and many critics have dismissed whatever it is that's going on in the story. David Cronenberg expertly directs, with action within the limousine never feeling claustrophobic or cramped, but rather using this space as a way of making allusions to the world around us. The limousine, then, becomes a microcosm of our society. The rapid fire dialogue that is often being thrown around on the screen are metaphors for capitalism and greed.

In Cosmopolis, the world is burning, but some people are just standing around and watching. They're seeing the world and economy collapses onto itself, but their primary concern is something else entirely... and the final scene of the film, a great encounter between rich and poor, a rat and a king, makes a connection to just what it is we put into this world and just what we expect to get out of it.

Comment

One of my favorite movies. I believe I have already done a review on this movie, but if I have not , I'll do one now:
          I Love You, Man about Paul Rudd trying to find a best man for his wedding, he has no friends because he is shy. Being in the real estate business he mets a guy there & they become so close that it might just ruin his wedding.

Comment

Wife and i Watched Hanzel & Gretel Witch Hunters last week. The movie got bad reviews so i didn't really want to see it but there was nothing else worth seeing so.. We were presently surprised. The movie had a good deal of action in it, somewhat of a story and the hottest whitches i have seen. Jerremy Renner is one of those actors that you like to watch but when you think about it-your not sure why he is watchable but he is. Gemma Arterton is very attractive and in this movie shows some acting skill. Famke Janssen is red hot and plays a very convincing evile witch-good acting. Pihla VIItala looks great in her role as the good white witch. This was a fun movie to watch some eye candy included. 7.5/10
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Stalked At 17

When 17 year old Angela fell for Chad, he promised to love her forever. When she got pregnant with his child, he promised to take care of them both. When she realized he was deceptive and abusive, he promised to change. When she wanted to leave, he made one final promise: to hunt her down and kill her if she ever took his child away.
              3/5

Comment

Hangover ll

Stu is getting married. Along with Doug, Phil, and his soon-to-be brother-in-law Teddy, he regretfully invites Alan to Thailand for the wedding. After a quiet night on the beach with a beer and toasting marshmallows by the camp fire, Stu, Alan and Phil wake up in a seedy apartment in Bangkok. Doug is back at the resort, but Teddy is missing, there's a monkey with a severed finger, Alan's head is shaved, Stu has a tattoo on his face, and they can't remember any of it.

Comment

Anyone saw the Nzhdeh film?
                  Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Sounds interesting.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Tortured

A 6 year old gets kidnapped in front of there house. Now both parents find the man who captured & murdered there son & lead him to his death.

4/5

Comment

Working...
                      X