Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Reviews

I really enjoyed La Vie en Rose. Ms. Cotillard probably deserves two oscars for her performance. Mr. Clooney and other 'Hollywood' personalities could probably learn a thing or two about acting from this columnist's take about Ms. Cotillard. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4772942.story

Her performance of transformation, although different, reminds me of Bobby D's in "Raging Bull". Things happened in that move, dialogue I mean, where no words were said by Bobby but his eyes and hands spoke volumes. There are other similar roles of transformation that may be used as examples and won their respective roleplayer an Oscar.

But Mr. Clooney's performance in Syriana was just a 'bloated' Clooney pretending to be someone else, not actually becoming them.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Thank you for this post, enker Yeznik.

Originally posted by Yeznik View Post
      Ostrov

I truly enjoyed this movie due to an authentic interpretation of orthodoxy. Most movies that try to depict orthodoxy or Christianity in general tend to make Christianity as either something contemptible or too supernatural. This movie is extremely rich with orthodoxy from the hymns and prayers to the characters to the beautiful and eloquent storyline. This story contains the persona of the Holy Desert Fathers, The Philokalia, Theophan the Recluse, Ignatius Brianchaninov, and the central character who is a Startsy or in Russian – стáрец - , the story is also very rich in its reflections of Russian Orthodoxy.

Here is an explanation of the personality of main character:

A starets (стáрец) is an elder of a Russian Orthodox monastery who functions as venerated adviser and teacher. Startsy are charismatic spiritual leaders whose wisdom stems from intuition rather than experience. It is believed that through ascetic struggle and prayer (Hesychasm), and the leading of a virtuous life, the Holy Spirit bestows special gifts onto the starets including the ability to heal, prophesy, and most importantly, give effective spiritual guidance and direction. Startsy are looked upon as being an inspiration to believers and an example of saintly virtue, steadfast faith, and spiritual peace.
      Startsy are not appointed by any authority; they are simply recognized by the faithful as being people "of the Spirit". A starets, when not in prayer or in voluntary seclusion, receives visitors (some who travel very far) and spends time conversing with them, offering a blessing (if the starets is an ordained cleric) and confession, and praying. People often petition the starets for intercessionary prayers, believing that the prayer of a starets is particularly effective.
      Personal confessions to startsy are encouraged, although not all of them are formally ordained to priesthood. Many of them have a reputation amidst believers of being able to know the secrets of a person's heart without having ever previously met the visitor, and having the ability to discern God's plan for a person's life. This, as all of the startsy's gifts, is believed to come from the Holy Spirit acting through the starets.
      The institution may be traced to the beginnings of Christian monasticism in the 4th century. The original Greek term geron (meaning "elder", as in gerontology) was rendered by the Russian word "starets", derived from the Slavic adjective for "old". Sergius of Radonezh and Nil Sorsky were two most venerated startsy of Old Muscovy. The revival of staretsdom is associated with the name of Paisius Velichkovsky (1722-94), who produced the Russian translation of the Philokalia. The most famous starets of the early 19th century was Seraphim of Sarov (1759-1833), who went on to become one of the most revered Orthodox saints.

Now that being said I would consider this movie a masterpiece in its rendition of Russian Orthodoxy. Basically, the movie is designed to be spiritually driven and for people who are not familiar with orthodoxy and the writings I stated above, they would miss the deep meaning and rendition of the movie. The only drawback is for the non-Russian speaking audience since the movie is only subtitled in English.
      Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
        I really enjoyed La Vie en Rose. Ms. Cotillard probably deserves two oscars for her performance.
        Cotillard was great. The film itself wasn't.

As for "transformations," did you see Philip Seymour Hoffman's in Capote? Great performance.

I watched Fracture last night. A pretty standard thriller; nothing special.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
          I plan on seeing it, but want to see The Return first. It's pn my Netflix queue.
          It is on my queue...I'll probably watch it in a month or so???
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by axel View Post
            One can find a great number of Tarkovsky clips on youtube. I happen to have a few in my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_favor...ser=goliadkine
            Can you appreciate Tarkovsky with low quality video?
            Last edited by Siamanto; 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM.
            What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

The Lives of Others was very good. R.I.P. Ulrich Mühe.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                The Lives of Others was very good. R.I.P. Ulrich Mühe.
                It's been on my queue for the last year or so...I hope that I'll get to watch it soon!

Comment

Its a 1991 movie, but it was my first time seeing it.
                  Not a bad movie at all. Its not the original one ,its a remake. The original one was made in 1962.
                  Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

One of the Best Movies
                    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

I believe the last film I saw was Fritz Lang's M. Great film, I must say.

Comment

Working...
                      X