Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Many Challenges of Jazz Improvisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many Challenges of Jazz Improvisation

Ardenik,if you are as original playing natrual sounding *swing eighth notes*, as you are writing poems,then definitely you know how to imrovise jazz.
    I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Originally posted by sleuth
    Ardenik,if you are as original playing natrual sounding *swing eighth notes*, as you are writing poems,then definitely you know how to imrovise jazz.
    well considering i havent written any poems or lyrics at all in about the past 5 years, & considering the amount of time ive spent improvising jazz during the past 2 years, id say i could probably swing better than i could write poetry right now! hehe

altho i still dont think i could do either one all that well...

Comment

Originally posted by ardenik
      well considering i havent written any poems or lyrics at all in about the past 5 years, & considering the amount of time ive spent improvising jazz during the past 2 years, id say i could probably swing better than i could write poetry right now! hehe

altho i still dont think i could do either one all that well...
      Can you swing in fusion style??(straight eighths, or eighth notes that are only slightly swung)

Comment

Can you swing in fusion style??(straight eighths, or eighth notes that are only slightly swung)
        how can i answer that....
        swing is a feel... its a dimension of music which exists predominantly in jazz & its sub-styles.
        music can be broken down into the combination of 2 things: sound & time. & each of these have a bunch of different dimensions to them, which are more or less prominent, depending on the style of music.

dimensions of SOUND are: pitch (higher or lower), dynamics (louder or softer), tone (brighter or warmer).

dimensions of TIME are: tempo (faster or slower), rhythm (longer or shorter), and swing (harder or straighter)

when ure playing jazz or any style that is inspired by jazz, swing is a dimension of ur performance which is minutiously controlled by the experienced musician, just like dynamics, tone, rhythm & pitch.. thats why the best musician isnt necessarily the one who can play fastest & loudest & the most technically difficult things... a musician who is able to control all these dimensions of SOUND & TIME in a tasteful way is a much better musician than the one who plays fast & loud & hard stuff.

im sorry i wasnt able to answer ur question directly, because swing is not something thats this much for such & such kind of jazz & that much for such & such other kind.... its really an infinitely variable dimension of one's musical performance.

Comment

[QUOTE=ardeni

when ure playing jazz or any style that is inspired by jazz, swing is a dimension of ur performance which is minutiously controlled by the experienced musician, just like dynamics, tone, rhythm & pitch.. thats why the best musician isnt necessarily the one who can play fastest & loudest & the most technically difficult things... a musician who is able to control all these dimensions of SOUND & TIME in a tasteful way is a much better musician than the one who plays fast & loud & hard stuff.

[/QUOTE]
          Mannnn,i know what is swing ..probably my question was confusing.

Swing is a feel ...but there is technique how to practice and use and play ,how to develop a feel for swing. Of course swing is not a universal constant.... Not all styles of jazz use swing in the same way. many fusion and modern styles use straight eighths or eighth notes that are only slightly swung.

At some point while improvising in a given key, i try to play notes that are not in that key. ( so called playing outside. it sounds dissonant, or harsh (my ear is the ultimate judge).Is that connected with my feel for swing or lack of technique ?

And how can i develop a feel for swing??

And again my question do u play fusion???
          Last edited by sleuth; 06-08-2004, 09:52 AM.

Comment

At some point while improvising in a given key, i try to play notes that are not in that key. ( so called playing outside. it sounds dissonant, or harsh (my ear is the ultimate judge).Is that connected with my feel for swing or luck of technique ?
            "Swinging," as ardenik pointed out, is a matter a feel which is a matter of rhythm, making it completely independant of musical keys. Your rhythm has nothing to do with what notes you play with what notes. Adding feel is done with dynamics.

And how can i develop a feel for swing??
            1. Play along to music that has a swing feel. Try the albums "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis or "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughn. Good places to start.

2. Play with musicians playing a swing feel.

3. Get an instructor to coach you on it.

4. Read books that discuss rhythm.
            Last edited by dusken; 06-08-2004, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
              "
              4. Read books that discuss rhythm.
              Puck this ....

It Don't Mean A Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing" *Duke Ellington*

I can'ttttt imroviseeeeeee the end of story....

Comment

Puck this ....
                There is very good stuff out there that, as a drummer, I can say is quite important... especially when you may not have all of the resources (musicians) available to you at all times.

It Don't Mean A Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing" *Duke Ellington*
                Too complicated.

I can'ttttt imroviseeeeeee the end of story....
                Then I suggest you study theory more before you focus on things like feel.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken

Then I suggest you study theory more before you focus on things like feel.
                  I focuse on theory way too much... before delve into the theory i need to develop a feel for swing. thats my problem.

i can never improvise jazz..its like **telling a story**...smootttttth ....ah.... It is not enough to merely play the "right" notes.
                  Last edited by sleuth; 06-08-2004, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The only way to improve at improvising is to be forced to improvise. What do you play? Piano?

Comment

Working...
                    X