Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Gentle Giant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentle Giant

This year Gentle Giant began releasing remastered albums for their 35th anniversary and they sound wonderful.

Man I just saw this - I'm a huge (HUGE!) Gentle Giant fan (one of my favorite groups bar none) and have all their stuff on vinyl & CD and have some concert tapes as well (mostly recorded by yours truly!). All my CDs are Euro issue - have they been remastered? U.S. release? I have some gentle Giant original issues (U.S. & UK - such as the In a Glass House album - also have the CD with nifty cover painted in part on the outside plastic (make sure no to crack that one...)

Good to see someone else out there with some music taste...as I recall you were into Crimson as well - yes? I'm a prog rock/jazz fan from way back...and speaking of Crimson are you into any of the David Sylvyan/Robert Fripp colaborations?

Other more obscure (to most) stuff I'm into - Bill Nelson/Be Bop Deluxe, Gong, Hawkwind, Eno, Nektar, Focus, Van Der Graaf generator, Soft machine, Alan Holdsworth (et al) etc etc (all the usual stuff I guess - and then some...including spin offs/solo stuff and various). I pretty much have complete or near complete selections of all the above (and much more) - again most on vinyl as well as CD. I'm getting into the SACD/DVD audio kick - as my system is quite killer...shame more of these artists will likely never be represented in the newer high end media. Also very big inot other more well known groups & such - Jethero Tull, the Who, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Neil Young, Roxy Music, Bowie - etc - and more new Age/Punk related - Stranglers are on eof my favorite groups - I have a huge collection of special vinyl issues - singles and such...was (and still am) very big into Kate Bush...lots of other stuff - Zappa will always be #1 however!

A buddy of mine drums for John Goodsall BTW (Brand X)...so yeah have been into all their various incarnations and related and so on and so forth...(he's also drummed for Mike Keneally - if you know who he is (Beer for Dolphins...et al)...

Comment

Have you eer heard the 4 channel mix of Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)? Killer...just killer. I've had the 2 Pink Floyd discs - Meddle and Atom heart Mother (I think thats the one) on quad for ages - they are quite interesting as the entire mix is different making them essentially totally different takes (essentiallY 0 and thus unique albums quite different then the standard issue - alternative versions if you will...

Comment

Into the Tubes at all?

In their day they were a great act to see...The Tubes Now is my favorite disc. I was happy to see that What do you want from Live finally made it to DVD...

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
          Man I just saw this - I'm a huge (HUGE!) Gentle Giant fan (one of my favorite groups bar none) and have all their stuff on vinyl & CD and have some concert tapes as well (mostly recorded by yours truly!). All my CDs are Euro issue - have they been remastered? U.S. release? I have some gentle Giant original issues (U.S. & UK - such as the In a Glass House album - also have the CD with nifty cover painted in part on the outside plastic (make sure no to crack that one...)
          Very nice. The ones that are being release I believe are U.S. releases and are remastered. The sound is great to me but if you're so familiar with the old masters I don't know if you'd like it.

Good to see someone else out there with some music taste...as I recall you were into Crimson as well - yes? I'm a prog rock/jazz fan from way back...and speaking of Crimson are you into any of the David Sylvyan/Robert Fripp colaborations?
          Yea, we've talked prog before. King Crimson is my favorite. All I listen to is prog and jazz and fusion.

Other more obscure (to most) stuff I'm into - Bill Nelson/Be Bop Deluxe, Gong, Hawkwind, Eno, Nektar, Focus, Van Der Graaf generator, Soft machine, Alan Holdsworth (et al) etc etc (all the usual stuff I guess - and then some...including spin offs/solo stuff and various).
          I like all of those except for Holdsworth. His work with U.K. is good but I don't like his playing style. He has incredible chops but he bores me.

I pretty much have complete or near complete selections of all the above (and much more) - again most on vinyl as well as CD. I'm getting into the SACD/DVD audio kick - as my system is quite killer...shame more of these artists will likely never be represented in the newer high end media. Also very big inot other more well known groups & such - Jethero Tull, the Who, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Neil Young, Roxy Music, Bowie - etc
          I love all of that, except for Neil Young. He doesn't do it for me either. And I like Bowie but never got in heavily.

- and more new Age/Punk related - Stranglers are on eof my favorite groups - I have a huge collection of special vinyl issues - singles and such...was (and still am) very big into Kate Bush...lots of other stuff - Zappa will always be #1 however!
          The Stranglers rock. Unusually, one of my favorite albums is one without Cornwell: "...In the Night."

Kate Bush is great. I got into her via Tori Amos, who I'm a big fan of (though I don't like her last three releases).

Zappa is godhead.

A buddy of mine drums for John Goodsall BTW (Brand X)...so yeah have been into all their various incarnations and related and so on and so forth...(he's also drummed for Mike Keneally - if you know who he is (Beer for Dolphins...et al)...
          Speaking of John Goodsall, you like the Fire Merchants?

I don't know Keneally's music but I know he played with Frank.

Who's your friend?

Comment

Have you eer heard the 4 channel mix of Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)? Killer...just killer. I've had the 2 Pink Floyd discs - Meddle and Atom heart Mother (I think thats the one) on quad for ages - they are quite interesting as the entire mix is different making them essentially totally different takes (essentiallY 0 and thus unique albums quite different then the standard issue - alternative versions if you will...
            Yes, I've heard the SACD for DSotM. I went to my friend's sister's house and her boyfriend at the time had it and played it through B&W speakers. We popped it in, sat on the couch, and listened to the whole thing without moving or making a sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Stark Evade
              Very nice. The ones that are being release I believe are U.S. releases and are remastered. The sound is great to me but if you're so familiar with the old masters I don't know if you'd like it.
              I imagine I'll check one out - Power and the Glory might sound awesome spruced up a bit...

Yea, we've talked prog before. King Crimson is my favorite. All I listen to is prog and jazz and fusion.

Can't fault that...

I like all of those except for Holdsworth. His work with U.K. is good but I don't like his playing style. He has incredible chops but he bores me.
              I understand - a certain repetativeness - still awesome stuff...enjoyable live...or was...

I love all of that, except for Neil Young. He doesn't do it for me either. And I like Bowie but never got in heavily.
              I like both of them quite a bit...other similar (southern?/county influenced...nmot quite that...) I'm into - Dixie Dregs, Bella Fleck, Alman Brothers, Stevie Ray V...etc

Diamond Dogs, Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane...cumon!

The Stranglers rock. Unusually, one of my favorite albums is one without Cornwell: "...In the Night."
              Awesome band - not as into "...In the night" as some of the others - Black and White, Rattus, IV, Aural Sculpture...Have you heard either any of Cornell's solo stuff or Jean Jaques Burnell (Euroman Cometh for instance...worth checking out...)

Kate Bush is great. I got into her via Tori Amos, who I'm a big fan of (though I don't like her last three releases).
              Agree on Amos...when I first heard Amos' first album I thought it was Kate Bush going back to her roots...

Zappa is godhead.
              So true - no need to say more...

Speaking of John Goodsall, you like the Fire Merchants?
              Don't know it at all - but I suspect my friend is on it...must chack it out...

I don't know Keneally's music but I know he played with Frank.
              true - you would perhaps like some/much of his stuff - very self indulgent though and sometimes hit or miss..

Who's your friend?
              mums the word in the open forum...he is a drummer BTW...also has played with other notables such as John Truby and The Ugly Janitors of America! ...and done session work...almost got the Red Hot Chilli peppers gig (I also knew John Fruscante back when...no longer in touch...though my friend keeps up with him)...has done session stuff (and maybe tours?) with Thomas Dolby...various other more unknowns...sat in for Chad Wakerman in pre-tour sessions for the 88 Zappa tour!

Comment

Yes, I've heard the SACD for DSotM. I went to my friend's sister's house and her boyfriend at the time had it and played it through B&W speakers. We popped it in, sat on the couch, and listened to the whole thing without moving or making a sound.
                Yeah its quite an experience. I have a suround set up with an Onkyo DVD/SACD, Axiom towers, very nice center channel, di-polar surrounds (that so kick!),, powered sub...driven by a very heafty Denon amp...you can't imagine the dbs I can put out - and all extremely clean...SACD surround DSotM is an experience to be had certainly...I've done the same with it with those who appreciate it...

Check them out

Award-winning Home Theater Surround Sound Systems, made in Canada. Call us at 1-888-352-9466 to get free advice on the best home theater speakers for your home.

I basically have the top of the line (though not the highest end sub...not needed...believe me..)

Comment

...sat in for Chad Wakerman in pre-tour sessions for the 88 Zappa tour!
                  I have much of these on tape BTW - including (classic) bits (and improv) with Flo & Eddie and Tommy Mars ! - who ultimatly did not tour with Frank in 88. (so very few people have this of course...heh heh... ) I used to sit in on a lot of Franks rehersals and various (backstage etc) ..been up to the house once...was offered a job working for Frank (and of all people Daniel Shore who was also to work for Frank beleive it or not..) - job offer was tentative on his getting a Showtime gig that ultimatly didn't work out...was to be called "nightschool")....all that sort of thing..he is so missed....

Comment

I understand - a certain repetativeness - still awesome stuff...enjoyable live...or was...
                    It's not just repetition; his soloing is flat for me. I've seen him live. Why do you say was? He still gigs.

I like both of them quite a bit...other similar (southern?/county influenced...nmot quite that...)
                    I'd prefer the Doobie Brother's sound.

I'm into - Dixie Dregs, Bella Fleck, Alman Brothers, Stevie Ray V...etc
                    Never really got into the Allman Bros. either though I don't dislike them. I don't consider them or Neil Young -- or the Doobie Bros. for that matter -- to be prog in any way.

Awesome band - not as into "...In the night" as some of the others - Black and White, Rattus, IV, Aural Sculpture...Have you heard either any of Cornell's solo stuff or Jean Jaques Burnell (Euroman Cometh for instance...worth checking out...)
                    Aural Sculpture and Rattus are great.

Haven't heard them. Will take a listen.

Agree on Amos...when I first heard Amos' first album I thought it was Kate Bush going back to her roots...
                    She had her own thing going too, though. It's not so derivative. Both of them pray to Joni, anyway.

Don't know it at all - but I suspect my friend is on it...must chack it out...
                    It's a band. Not an album. It's John Goodsall, Chester Thompson (Genesis, Zappa), and Doug Lunn on bass. That stuff is fantastic. Doug Lunn is a great bass player. He plays with Armen Chakmakian also and I saw him play fretless live with Terry xxxzio.

true - you would perhaps like some/much of his stuff - very self indulgent though and sometimes hit or miss..

mums the word in the open forum...he is a drummer BTW...also has played with other notables such as John Truby and The Ugly Janitors of America! ...and done session work...almost got the Red Hot Chilli peppers gig (I also knew John Fruscante back when...no longer in touch...though my friend keeps up with him)...has done session stuff (and maybe tours?) with Thomas Dolby...various other more unknowns...sat in for Chad Wakerman in pre-tour sessions for the 88 Zappa tour!
                    If he sat in for Wackerman, he must be very talented.

Comment

Working...
                    X