Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

PICS from my new weekly gig in Montreal (opening nite) +PLAYLIST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICS from my new weekly gig in Montreal (opening nite) +PLAYLIST

For pictures, click on the following link:

DJ Sinister presents "Salvation From Sin", every Saturday night from 9pm-3am @ Quartier Latin located at 318 Ontario street East (Montreal, Canada).

PLAYLIST

In no particular order....

VINYL
    1. FRANKY BOISSY f/ ROLAND CLARK “black music, pt.1” (David Harness rmx) (Chez)
    2. JOE CLAUSSELL “raw ‘93” (Sacred Rhythm Music)
    3. FELIPE LUCIANO “jibaro/my pretty ******” (Tico)
    4. PASSION DANCE ORCHESTRA “worlds (theme)” (Needs)
    5. PEVEN EVERETT pres. BILLIE JEWEL & LARRY BILLUPS “kissing game” (Kindred Spirits)
    6. MARIO “let me love you” (Scott Wozniak rmx) (bootleg)
    7. DJ ROMAIN f/ DARRYL D’BONNEAU “it’s the spirit” (83 West rmx) (Nu Faze)
    8. ROLAND CLARK “speak to me/i get deep” (acapella) (Estereo)
    9. MATEO & MATOS “tour de force” (UUHS)
    10. KERRI CHANDLER “dub life” (Metaphor)
    11. MIKE DUNN presents THE MD X-SPRESS “God made me phunky” (Open)
    12. ROBERT OWENS “go back” (Kenny Dope rmx) (bootleg)
    13. THE DEEP “dom dom jump (sax mix)” (Basenotic)
    14. DJ GREGORY “elle” (Faya Combo)
    15. ALMA HORTON “lies” (Diaspora)
    16. KERRI CHANDLER “for the love of heaven (vibe dub)” (Large)
    17. KARIZMA “music” (Rotgut)
    18. SEAL “latest craze” (Kerri Chandler rmx) (bootleg)
    19. THE BAYARA CITIZENS “mafungo (afrikan bash)” (Sacred Rhythm Music)
    20. KERRI CHANDLER “where is the love?” (Madhouse)
    21. RACHID “pride” (Mood II Swing rmx) (Universal)
    22. GLENN UNDERGROUND “mental black resurrection” (Life Line)
    23. GLENN UNDERGROUND “black action” (Shelter)
    24. JEVEMEYER “agua” (Timmy Regisford edit) (Shelter)
    25. DORUK OZLEN “thoughts for the orient” (Tribal Winds)
    26. NONI “teach/keep me(satisfied)” (Prescription)
    27. ? “nature of retribution” (Prescription)
    28. CARL CRAIG “sandstorms” (Planet E)
    29. SHAUN ESCOFFERY “days like this” (DJ Spinna rmx) (Oyster Music)
    30. AMBROSIA “that’s how much I love you” (Shelter)
    31. SLUM VILLAGE “tainted love” (Harry Knuckles rmx) (bootleg)
    32. BLAZE f/ ALEXANDER HOPE “big mistake” (Concept Music)
    33. INDIA ARIE “strength, courage & wisdom” (Fall Out)
    34. DAN GNA “les go” (Sacred Rhythms Drum) (Spiritual Life Music)
    35. PHYSICS f/ TERESA “sunshine” (Nicky P’s mix) (Suburban)
    36. MENA KEYS “can u blow?” (Jellybean Soul)
    37. YUKIHIRO FUKUTOMI f/ ALMA HORTON “hooked” (Pantone)
    38. AMEL LARRIEUX “catch 22” (deep souljah rmx) (bootleg)
    39. GLENN UNDERGOUND ”trust” (Large)
    40. JOHN LEGEND “ordinary people” (Kayorcan rmx) (Rotgut)
    41. COSMO pres. CH’I f/ BILLIE GODFREY “mistaken” (Alix Alvarez rmx) (xxxxxes Brew)
    42. SOLU MUSIC f/ KIMBLEE “fade” (Wave)
    43. BASIL “sex” (instrumental) (King Street)
    44. SCUBA f/ VIKTER DUPLAIX “swell” (Dozia rmx) (Ovum)
    45. MATEO & MATOS “idris rises” (Spiritual Life Music - one sided)
    46. NU MOOD ORCHESTRA “aphrodisiac” (Statra Twelves)
    47. MOS DEF “umi says” (Rawkus)
    48. SOLODINGO “journey” (Spiritual Life Music)
    49. VINCENZO “we wait, right here” (Charles Webster rmx) (Dessous)
    50. KOLOKE “west afrikan guitar groove” (Spritual Life Music)
    51. THE BACKROOM BANDITS “you don’t know what love is” (bootleg)
    52. KENNY BOBIEN “now i can see” (Nikos’ deep prayer mix) (Under My Skin)
    53. THE RURALS “lush” (Peng)
    54. BLAZE PRODUCTION pres. JAMES TONEY Jr. PROJECT “how deep is your love” (LifeLine)
    55. KENNY BOBIEN “back to life” (Marques Wyatt rmx) (King Street)
    56. KENLOU “what a sensation” (beats) (MAW)
    57. NEGROCAN “aquela esquina” (Grant Nelson rmx) (Swing City)
    58. LOOD f/ DONNELL RUSH “shout-n-out” (MAW)
    59. QUENTIN HARRIS f/ CORDELL McCLARY “traveling” (Space Kat)
    60. BRANDY “the ritual” (Chateau Flight rmx) (Yellow)
    61. DONNIE “cloud 9” (Quentin Harris rmx) (Giant Step)
    62. MANUEL GOTTSCHING pres. ASH RA TEMPLE “deeper distance” (Joe Claussell rmx - 24 minutes) (RAIMO SYMPHONIES)
    63. PEVEN EVERETT “i can’t believe i loved her” (calypso mix) (Nite Grooves)
    64. PEVEN EVERETT “i can’t believe i loved her” (main mix) (Nite Grooves)
    65. JON CUTLER f/ MICHAEL WATFORD “watcha gonna do” (original) (MN2S)
    66. INNER LIFE f/ JOCELYN BROWN “make it last forever” (Salsoul)
    67. JEAN CARN “free love” (Larry Levan live at the Paradise Garage mix) (LARRY 04)
    68. SAMSON & DELILAH “i can feel your love slippin away” (Saturn)
    69. STATE OF GRACE “that’s when we’ll be free” (Profile)

CDR/CD
    70. JOHN KUMAHARA & MARTINO “paradise in the sahara” (Kenny Carvajal rmx) (Iwanai Music)
    71. PAT METHENY GROUP “are you going with me?” (original) (ECM)
    72. MATT DUSK “five” (Decca)
    73. INDIGENOUS SPACE PEOPLE (RON TRENT & AYBEE) “across the universe” (Future Vision)
    74. ERYKAH BADU “world keeps turnin” (Motown)
    75. ERYKAH BADU “bump it” (Motown)
    76. ERYKAH BADY “bag lady” (instrumental) (Motown)
    77. NAOMI N’DAMBI “call me” (Yam Who rmx)
    78. ALICIA KEYS “diary” (Quentin Harris rmx) (Ty-QuenDo)
    79. JILL SCOTT “crazy” (Quentin Harris rmx) (Restricted Access)
    80. FELA ANIKULAPO KUTI “yellow fever”
    81. SOUL MUSIC f/ KAI MARTIN “it ain’t love” (Quentin Harris rmx) (Solu)
    82. ROBERTA FLACK & DONNIE HATHAWAY “where is the love” (Barry B rmx)

Why do DJ's still use Vinyl? Why not move to the digital age? Is it better or is it just "the thing" everyone does?
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
      Why do DJ's still use Vinyl? Why not move to the digital age? Is it better or is it just "the thing" everyone does?
      What's Vinyl? /me is ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
        Hi Sip,

As a vinyl purist, I will say this:
        vinyl sounds WAY better than CDR's. The sound is much more warmer/thicker.

Of course, to a layman, there won't be much difference in sound. But (most) DJ's who have been doing this as long as I (over 10 years), can easily diffrentiate between cd and vinyl. Put me in a dark room, and i can easily tell the difference between vinyl and CDR.

It is also easier to manipulate a record with your hand/fingers while you are in the mix. This is crucial for house dj's like myself who sometimes play two or even 3 records at the same time for several minutes at a time...(also important for hip hop dj's who scratch and cut in and out of songs quickly). With CD's, you can't touch the media...instead you have to rely on buttons and/or jog dials (on the actual CD player itself). Then you gotta wait for the damn cd to come out of the machine, which can take 4 seconds (every second counts for a dj!!!)

The advantage to CD-R's:
        -much less heavier to lug around (for example, last night I had to transport 400 records!!! Let me tell you it wasn't easy)
        -much easier to carry 400 cd's rather than 400 records if you have to travel by airplane for example
        -costs less
        -if you lose your cd's, you always have it backed up in your computer (unless you're a doorknob!!LOL)

All that said, I still love vinyl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would like to come and watch sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
            What's Vinyl? /me is ignorant.
            The big old records from the 70's

djsinister, thanks for the info. I personally haven't heard them side by side and of course am morely a "layman". So CDs at 44Khz and 16 bit sampling are not good enough ... but what about higher rates? I see a few sounds cards popping up with true 96Khz 24bit audio channels ... would they be able to compare to vinyl?

I also hear you on the "hands on" thing with the records and agree that a cd player just won't cut it. But what about a true digital solution ... as in digitized files on a hard disk or any other sort of digital media. All you'd need is a some PC hardware (laptop, portable, small PC) with a good audio card hooked up to the right kind of amp and there you go. My guess is with the right software you could do much more complicated and fancy mixing and effects but again, speaking purely from a layman point of view

But yah, I've always been curious to know why vinyl is still around but I guess it's cheap, easy, and works so why bother
            Last edited by Sip; 08-03-2005, 12:46 PM.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

actually vinyl is way more expensive than cd's.....................
              A 12" costs $14 tax included here in Montreal, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
                I would like to come and watch sometime.
                Why don't you just come and dance, bruh!!!??!!!

Ain't no wallflowers up in this piece.

Comment

Working...
                X