Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Baghdad church hostage drama: death toll hits 52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baghdad church hostage drama: death toll hits 52

A total of 52 hostages have been killed and scores injured during a shoot-out between US and Iraqi forces and al-Qaeda-linked gunmen in a Catholic church in Baghdad.

An Iraqi interior ministry official said after the attack said that seven security forces personnel were also killed and 15 wounded, but did not specify if any were Americans.

Five attackers were killed and eight arrested, he said, adding there had been more than 100 worshippers at the Sayidat al-Nejat church in central Baghdad when the hostage-takers stormed in.

American soldiers and Iraqi security forces had entered the church in the centre of the city to free worshippers being held by eight gunmen.

The gunmen had stormed the church in the Karrad neighbourhood during evening mass after killing two guards at the nearby headquarters of the Baghdad stock exchange.

At least one of the deaths came before the rescue operation. One of the freed hostages, an 18-year-old man, said the first thing the gunmen did when they entered the church was to shoot the priest.

"They entered the church with their weapons, wearing military uniforms. They came into the prayer hall, and immediately killed the priest," said the young man who declined to give his name.

All the hostages had been huddled into the main prayer hall when the gun battles began with security forces, he said.

"We heard a lot of gunfire and explosions, and some people were hurt from falling windows, doors and debris," he added.

Officials said that as police made a first attempt to enter the church earlier in the evening one gunman had blown himself up by activating a suicide belt he was wearing.

Al-Qaeda's Iraqi affiliate, the Islamic State of Iraq, claimed responsibility for the attack on "the dirty place of the infidel which Iraqi Christians have long used as a base to fight Islam".

It said in a statement posted on radical Islamic websites that it was an action against the Christian church in Egypt.

The US military officially ended combat operations in Iraq at the end of August, but 50,000 troops still remain in the country.

Helicopters hovered overhead and loud explosions and gunfire were heard, shortly after officials said they were preparing to storm the church.

Earlier on Sunday, the gunmen killed two guards at the stock exchange as they tried to battle their way into the building earlier, an interior ministry official said.

The attackers detonated a bomb in a car parked close by, wounding four civilians, and escaped, he added, fleeing to the Sayidat al-Nejat church that was among six targeted by deadly car bombings on August 1, 2004.

The Chaldean bishop of Baghdad, Bishop Shlimoune Wardouni earlier told AFP that gunmen were demanding the release of detainees held in Iraq and Egypt and that two priests were among the hostages.

Iraq's Christians have been frequently the target of violence, including murder and abductions, over the past seven years.

Hundreds of Iraqi Christians have been killed and several churches attacked since the US-led invasion to oust Saddam Hussein in 2003.

Around 800,000 Christians lived in Iraq in 2003 but their number has since shrunk to 550,000 as members of the community have fled abroad, according to Christian leaders.

A total of 52 hostages have been killed and scores injured during a shoot-out between US and Iraqi forces and al-Qaeda-linked gunmen in a Catholic church in Baghdad.

Re: Baghdad church hostage drama: death toll hits 52

According to the Iraqi police officials, death toll from the Baghdad Catholic church hostage standoff last has already increased to 58 and seventy – five others were wounded in the by Al – Qaeda linked gunmen Sunday afternoon. The officials also said that majority of the casualties were women and children. Five gunmen, 17 security officers as well as two priests were also among of the casualties of the said incident.

Iraqi Defense Minister Abudl Qader Obeidi said that majority of the hostages were wounded or killed when the assailants set off explosives inside the Our Lady of Salvation church in Baghdad’s Karrada District in which there were more than 100 Iraqi Christian worshippers held as hostage. Iraqi police officials also said that at least two of the assailants wear explosive vests that eventually detonated moments before security forces could even the church.

And although the said incident carries the fingerprints of Al – Qaeda as what have Minister Obeidi said on a state television Sunday, the Islamic State of Iraq would later claimed responsibility for the hostage standoff through a post on a radical Islamic website. This group has all ties with Al – Qaeda in Iraq.

Comment

I was afraid it involved Armenians when I first heard about Christians being held hostage in a church.

Perhaps Armenia could step in provide asylum to a limited number of Assyrians seeking to escape the violence in Iraq and resettle them in the Assyrian-populated villages of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verin_Dvin and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arzni
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
        I was afraid it involved Armenians when I first heard about Christians being held hostage in a church.

Perhaps Armenia could step in provide asylum to a limited number of Assyrians seeking to escape the violence in Iraq and resettle them in the Assyrian-populated villages of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verin_Dvin and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arzni
        Just a thought I think it would be great if Armenia would give all Christians in the area the right for asylum be it Arab, Kurd or Iranians that are being persecuted

Comment

Originally posted by araratsi View Post
          Just a thought I think it would be great if Armenia would give all Christians in the area the right for asylum be it Arab, Kurd or Iranians that are being persecuted

I think you need a brain check.
          Armenia cannot ( will not) look after its own.

Already emigration is running at over 50,000 a MONTH and you want them replaced with Arabs, Iranians and Kurds.
          Their Religion is irrelevant.
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by araratsi View Post
            Londontsi is right and it's not practical for a small country like Armenia to take in such large number of people. Nevertheless, Armenia should lobby the US and UN to provide humanitarian flights out of Iraq.

The west both can and will take large numbers of these people in and they certainly qualify for asylum, under the grounds that they are in physical danger and fleeing ethno-religious persecution.

The Chaldean's need to get their act together and like the Kurds carve out an ethnic enclave within Iraq. As they have far more right to live in those lands than any, Arab occupier.
            Last edited by retro; 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

When a country grows so does its economy and it also needs more land , with 3 million people you cannot get a western Armenia

Comment

I know that church well, since i was born there. I don't think christians will remain after this. Already most the people I know there have emigrated.
                And to say they should go to Armenia is foolish at best, there's no future for them in armenia. Even the iraqtsi armenians who live in armenia have it rough, how would the arabs fare there?

Iraqi Christians are emigrating to USA/Canada these days more than Europe, since EU is not taking in refugees as before

Comment

There can`t be many Christians left in Iraq. I can understand why the Assyrians wants their own country. There`s a silent Genocide being committed against the Assyrians and other Christians in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
                    I know that church well, since i was born there. I don't think christians will remain after this. Already most the people I know there have emigrated.
                    And to say they should go to Armenia is foolish at best, there's no future for them in armenia. Even the iraqtsi armenians who live in armenia have it rough, how would the arabs fare there?

Iraqi Christians are emigrating to USA/Canada these days more than Europe, since EU is not taking in refugees as before
                    Not Arabs but Assyrians (even though it may be hard to tell them apart these days). There already is a sizable and ghetto-ised Assyrian community in Armenia in the villages I named so it would not be totally random. Settling them in those villages helps soothen the transition to a brand new country given how they will be surrounded by fellow Assyrians who speak their language. Eventually as they send their kids to school, they'll pick up on Armenian as well. We're talking about a limited number and not the entire population. Of course the Armenian government should do its part in helping them settle.

Armenians, who had no knowledge of Arabic, all settled in poor Arab countries (your grandparents included) after the genocide and they fared well enough. Why not help a couple of hundreds of Assyrians who would be willing to do anything to get out of Iraq? Helps our population, improves our international image and helps a civilisation as old as ours that did not get lucky enough to recover after its own genocide.
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Working...
                    X