Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane

About the only nation that could out-lie Azerbaijan in a lying competition is Iran. Azeris can effortlessly lie morning, noon, and night, day in day out - but only Iranians lie to themselves even when asleep - and believe their own lies when doing so. So nothing they claim can be believed.

Did someone made that fiberglass joke in their garage? If it were real, why are none of its internal components shown, or its landing gear? Why is it sitting on a big table? Or maybe it is just a copy of the real thing - the real one being either too smashed-up for propaganda uses or it has been already dissected for its technology (and with any usable components being reused in one of Iranair's aged Boeings. )
    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

CNN discussion of drone's authenticity, and potential ramifications
      Watch breaking news videos, viral videos and original video clips on CNN.com.

Comment

Transcript of above video

Bob, do you think the drone shown on Iranian TV is the real thing?

Robert Baer: Oh, I think it absolutely is. I mean, it's not something that they could imitate and fake. I think what happened is it was either forced down by hacking or it in fact landed - these drones are programmable to land on flat ground. There is no evidence of damage though. That's my question.

Anderson Cooper: So you think the Iranians actually hacked into the system?

Robert Baer: There's a possibility they did. Washington has denied it so far. But they can hack into these things and order them to land. They can override American controls.

Anderson Cooper: It's interesting, Fareed. I mean, this is kind of a glimpse of if in fact this is a real drone and they did hack it or bring it down somehow. This is just a glimpse into what is basically a stealth war - a covert war between the U.S. and Iran, isn't it?

Fareed Zakaria: Absolutely. This is something we sometimes forget. The United States is very actively engaged in all sorts of operations against Iran. The drones are one part of it. They are also funding certain kinds of groups that operate on Iran's borders.

The other sense in which this is a glimpse of the future perhaps is Iran is using asymmetrical methods - asymmetrical warfare - to bring down America's advantages. They can't build a drone, but they figured out a way to hack into the system and bring down our drone.

I agree with Bob. It's unclear what's happened, but because there does not seem to be significant damage, there is at least a decent chance that what happened is that the Iranians figured out some way to do this. And that's a very interesting example of asymmetrical warfare. It's what the Chinese study when they look at how to do battle with us. It's what the Iranians are obviously studying.

Anderson Cooper: There has also, Bob, been hacking of - by some whether it's the U.S. or Israel or someone else - of Iranian nuclear facilities. And, in fact, Iranian nuclear scientists, some of them have been killed in the streets in Iran, haven't they?

Robert Baer: Yes, I think this undoubtedly the Israelis. The United States is not waging a lethal war against Iran right now. There's no authority for it. If there were, we would have seen leaks of this so far. So, I think it's our best guess is it's the Israelis. But in the Iranian's eyes, we're allied with them and we may as well be responsible. I think Fareed is absolutely right. We're seeing this shadow war starting to escalate and in a serious way.

Anderson Cooper: If Iran does, in fact, have the U.S. drone from an intelligence standpoint, how bad is that? Somebody compared it to dropping a Ferrari in an ox-cart-technology culture, basically saying Iran wouldn't have any idea what to do with it. Do you agree that?

Fareed Zakaria: Not at all. I think that's absurd. Remember, this is a fairly advanced country. This is an advanced society. It is 90 million people. They are producing centrifuges by the dozens. They are moving on a nuclear program.

The drone is also very advanced technology that they would be very interested in. It's very recent. It was unveiled in 2009. This is a big deal. I would be interested to know what Bob thinks. But it strikes me that this exposes very vulnerable, very new American technology.

Also remember, the Iranians now have something that the Chinese and Russians want. And there are various ways they can share it with plausible deniability. They can do photographs. They can do blueprints. So, all of a sudden they have something that the Russians envy and the Chinese want. So guess what? The next time there are U.N. Security Council sanctions the Russians and Chinese are going to have a series of interesting conversations with the Iranians.

Anderson Cooper: Bob, do you agree with that? This is technology that Iranians might share with the Russians, the Chinese?

Robert Baer: Absolutely. I mean, if the Iranians themselves can't get into this and figure out how it works, they'll invite the Chinese in from one of these parastatal companies. They'll look at it. And this is extremely damaging because this drone had, you know, thermal imaging cameras. The resolution on the photography is very, very good. And as we know, it's the same drone that was used to surveil bin Laden's compound before the raid. And it plays a key role in collecting intelligence as it does against Iranian nuclear facilities.

Anderson Cooper: So, Bob, I mean,countries like China and Russia, they don't have this drone technology already?

Robert Baer: Not this good, no. I mean, we truly are at the best. We've been working at it for ten years. It's been a key element in the war in Afghanistan and Iraq and over the tribal areas of Pakistan. I think this is another intelligence catastrophe.

Anderson Cooper: Fareed, it is amazing the extent to which the drones have really impacted the battlefield in Pakistan and Afghanistan and elsewhere.

Fareed Zakaria: I think one forgets that terrorist organizations, you know, are very small groups with leaders who are absolutely crucial. And what the drone is able to do is to exploit that disadvantage that terrorist organizations have. They are not large institutional structures that can go on without key leaders. So, you can target a few key people with a drone - and the drones have gotten increasingly accurate - and you have enormous advantages because can you disrupt the entire organization.

The war against al Qaeda has really been a war against the senior leadership using drones. You can't underestimate the importance of it. And this is one of the unique weapons in America's arsenal. The Chinese don't have it. The Russians don't have it. To the best of our knowledge, nobody in the world has something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          About the only nation that could out-lie Azerbaijan in a lying competition is the USA. Azeris can effortlessly lie morning, noon, and night, day in day out - but only Americans lie to themselves even when asleep - and believe their own lies when doing so. So nothing they claim can be believed.
          Sorry, but I couldn't restrain myself to fix your post

Did someone made that fiberglass joke in their garage? If it were real, why are none of its internal components shown, or its landing gear? Why is it sitting on a big table? Or maybe it is just a copy of the real thing - the real one being either too smashed-up for propaganda uses or it has been already dissected for its technology (and with any usable components being reused in one of Iranair's aged Boeings.
          This analysis has all your answers: http://aviationintel.com/?p=4322

All those who doubt the authenticity of the UAV should read it.
          Last edited by ZORAVAR; 12-11-2011, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
            Looks like Iran did in fact captured (not shotdown) a CIA operated stealth UAV RQ-170.....they are saying that they hacked into its flight program, took control of it, and landed (gear up) the UAV with minimum damage.
            Zendeh baud Irane mah.
            I agree. This is good for us. It means that Iranians can help us take down Azerbaboon drones. And yes, it was not shotdown - anyone that has ever seen a plane crash knows what that looks like. They clearly captured it, which is a major public relations coup. Good job Iran

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
              in order to glide under control you need your flight control system functional....there is no other way.
              100% right. Drones don't freak out and then land softly. Someone took over its controls. And again, it doesn't look like it was shot down. If you drop a plane from the sky with fire, it will not look like that picture.

Comment

If they jammed the drones comms it's possible that it glided down. Iran has several technical institutes and they are fairly good at science. However they are still quite limited. The think about Iran is that it's fairly stable. However a nuclear Middle East certainly isn't going to make the world a safer place.

Comment

Originally posted by retro View Post
                  a nuclear Middle East certainly isn't going to make the world a safer place.
                  With the Turks Israelis and Saudi Arabs around, I prefer a nuclear Iran. 1915.

Comment

Iran has captured another drone, a US ScanEagle

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Working...
                    X