Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Happy Birthday Ara Baliozian!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy Birthday Ara Baliozian!

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
    Why would a 72 year spend time writing at that age? Weird.
    It's not weird at all once you realize what propels the 'ego' you are referring to. He is essentially a diva without a stage, so he is looking for a captive audience. And he has found one in the internet. He more-or-less thinks by pasting his self-hate and pseudo-intellectual crap all over the internet he will have an impact upon Armenian life - although Armenians in general have out-casted him. Fortunately, no one in Armenian society takes him seriously. Unfortunately, this is a blow to his massive ego and now all he does is rant against anything Armenian. To tell you the truth, had he been an American I would have really respected him and his work. It's his 'Armenian' twist I dislike.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

If he were an American, he wouldn't criticize Armenians.

He tries to apply what he's learned in his life, and in literature to the subject of Armenians and their unique circumstances. Of course, it's hard for him to sound convincing towards Armenians especially as his take on history and politics are very controversial to many Armenians. But somewhere in there, he is worth listening to because of his experience and knowledge of literature from various nations and epochs. Still, in the end, it's up to the reader to decide whether or not the comparisons he uses are sufficiently applicable to Armenian issues.
      Last edited by jgk3; 12-11-2007, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
        He tries to apply what he's learned in his life, and in literature to the subject of Armenians and their unique circumstances. Of course, it's hard for him to sound convincing towards Armenians especially as his take on history and politics are very controversial to many Armenians. But somewhere in there, he is worth listening to because of his experience and knowledge of literature from various nations and epochs. Still, in the end, it's up to the reader to decide whether or not the comparisons he uses are sufficiently applicable to Armenian issues.
        I admit that he is good in constructing thoughts - but that's about it. The level of his understanding of Armenian history and geopolitics in general is that of an adolescent. Quote any statement of his regarding history and/or politics and I will tear it apart word for word. He is simply a disgruntled individual with a massive ego and a lot of self hate. His ideological rhetoric, or the lack of, is more applicable to large nations, big powers, than to us Armenians. That is why I said I would have respected him had he been an American. Men such as him are a detriment to our well being as a nation. Such types of men are/were responsible for the worst pages in our modern history.

Anyway, I guess we are having a birthday party without the birthday boy...

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

yep, he doesn't venture outside his thread. Oh well, I hope he had a nice celebration at home.

I think you're right about his ideology being more applicable to large nations. He speaks about how he used to be a narrow-minded pro-Armenian writer and although his first hand experience in dealing with or listening to many of our bigots, charlatans and commissars of the past can be good to hear from time to time, I don't see how this has to reflect Armenian nationalism in itself, from what I've witnessed of it at least.

He does make logical statements concerning Armenians too though, reminding us every now and then that we experienced two genocides, one from Turks and the other from assimilation of the diaspora. His tone is pessimistic though, as this same statement can be used to remind the diaspora of what they've truly become, and motivate at least some of them to think about where they're going.
          Last edited by jgk3; 12-11-2007, 04:20 PM.

Comment

He does make logical statements concerning Armenians too though, reminding us every now and then that we experienced two genocides, one from Turks and the other from assimilation of the diaspora. His tone is pessimistic though, as this same statement can be used to remind the diaspora of what they've truly become, and motivate at least some of them to think about where they're going.
            Listen, just go to his thread and read his endless crap. It's all self-hate, ego trips and disgruntlement. Like I said, he is good in constructing thoughts into words, however, he has no intellectual depth nor does he understand international politics or Armenian history. His "tone" is not only pessimistic it's also depressing, ugly, destructive and annihilative. He is not a 'critic,' he is simply a self-hating angry individual out to exert revenge on Armenian nationalists for not realizing his literary potential. Regarding the two genocide: the individual 'type' that Ara represents was/are essentially responsible for both tragedies our people have faced and are facing today. Had is not been for complacent, Ottomanized, self centered, and pacifist Armenians such as him - we would have been better able to resist the Turks. Don't forget that the Armenian independence movement within the Ottoman Armenian population at the time was a tiny minority, most Armenians were happy to remain obedient Ottomans. One of biggest obstacle Armenian revolutionaries' at the time faced was the lack of support within the Armenian population of the Ottoman Empire. Today the Ara types in our society still blame the Armenian revolutionaries for the Armenian Genocide, specifically the ARF. Nevertheless, had it been for the Ara types we as a nation today would have been totally Turkified today. Or, at best, we would have been Christian Turks. And in the post-Genocide diaspora, it is precisely his type that is leading us proudly and unwaveringly into assimilation and eventual demise. Therefore, this person in question has no value to us what-so-ever. And since he posts his self-hating crap within Turkish and Jewish forums he is a liability and an embarrassment for us all.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
              Listen, just go to his thread and read his endless crap. It's all self-hate, ego trips and disgruntlement. Like I said, he is good in constructing thoughts into words, however, he has no intellectual depth nor does he understand international politics or Armenian history. His "tone" is not only pessimistic it's also depressing, ugly, destructive and annihilative. He is not a 'critic,' he is simply a self-hating angry individual out to exert revenge on Armenian nationalists for not realizing his literary potential. Regarding the two genocide: the individual 'type' that Ara represents was/are essentially responsible for both tragedies our people have faced and are facing today. Had is not been for complacent, Ottomanized, self centered, and pacifist Armenians such as him - we would have been better able to resist the Turks. Don't forget that the Armenian independence movement within the Ottoman Armenian population at the time was a tiny minority, most Armenians were happy to remain obedient Ottomans. One of biggest obstacle Armenian revolutionaries' at the time faced was the lack of support within the Armenian population of the Ottoman Empire. Today the Ara types in our society still blame the Armenian revolutionaries for the Armenian Genocide, specifically the ARF. Nevertheless, had it been for the Ara types we as a nation today would have been totally Turkified today. Or, at best, we would have been Christian Turks. And in the post-Genocide diaspora, it is precisely his type that is leading us proudly and unwaveringly into assimilation and eventual demise. Therefore, this person in question has no value to us what-so-ever. And since he posts his self-hating crap within Turkish and Jewish forums he is a liability and an embarrassment for us all.
              Armenian, I could not have said better myself. The "Ara types" were busy drinking coffee in some Istabul coffee house, debating about the color "blue", and boasting how they are the "paper pushers" of the Ottoman Empire, while the vast majoirty of Armenians were being persecuted. The reason the Ottoman Empire was so succesful is because of these degenerate "intellectuals", they built the empire for the Turks and Turks rewarded them with death.

Comment

Turkish and xxxish forums? I'd like to see how people respond to his posts on those.

You make a good argument concerning our revolutionary and independance movements seeing people like Ara as obstacles. Although what he said about our revolutionaries of the past, misplacing our trust in European powers, sounds like a logical assertion to me. Beyond that however, I do find his words are contradictory to the fighting resilience I see in many Armenians... Although I've met good examples of such Armenians here in North America, I haven't met anyone from Artsakh, but I wonder what he would have to say about them, the golden core as you call them.

Comment

Armenian, I could not have said better myself. The "Ara types" were busy drinking coffee in some Istabul coffee house, debating about the color "blue", and boasting how they are the "paper pushers" of the Ottoman Empire, while the vast majoirty of Armenians were being persecuted. The reason the Ottoman Empire was so succesful is because of these degenerate "intellectuals", they built the empire for the Turks and Turks rewarded them with death.
                  My great grandfather was a Dadian, had wealthy estates in Istanbul and contributed a lot to the Armenian community there. His father or grandfather would write letters to the Armenian revolutionaries before the genocides were about to start, trying to warn them not to stand up to the Turks at that critical time. Yes, he may have been a paper pusher but he knew that this might've been the end of the line for Armenians in Turkey, and was deeply scared. Perhaps he knew something about the Young Turks that the Armenians in Anatolia weren't expecting? Or perhaps he was just fearful of jeopardizing all that his family/dynasty accomplished under the Turks...

In the end, they did lose it all, but the Armenians in Istanbul did not suffer death, just social stigma and everything they ever accomplished for Armenians there fell back into the hands of the Turks. A misplaced trust? Were the days of traditional Ottoman treatment of Armenians so genuinely good that they hoped it would continue even when the empire was in dramatic decline, struggling to achieve a single victory for itself?

Comment

Although what he said about our revolutionaries of the past, misplacing our trust in European powers, sounds like a logical assertion to me.
                    No it does not, jgk3. I know you are smarter than that. Every single revolutionary movement throughout history had 'outside' support. A small group of men and women seeking freedom can never have success against large powers without outside support. Case in point, the American Revolution. Put aside what American 'patriots' would like to believe. Once you study the American revolution you will see that without the French expeditionary force sent to help out the revolutionaries the American colonies would have not been able to gain their freedom from the British. It was French inspiration, intellectual and political, that encouraged the Americans to seek independence. France got independence for America. Take the French equation out, I can make similar statements about many other nation as well.

Of course we Armenians needed western support, especially that of Russia. Armenian nationalists naturally had to find inspiration and support outside of Armenian lands to organize their movement. What intellectual dwarfs like Ara fail to point out is that with Imperial Russian support Armenians had soundly defeated the Turks in Anatolia by 1916 and had liberated Armenian lands all the way to Van. It was the Bolshevik revolution that ruined this positive situation for us. Due to the Bolshevik revolution the Russians were forced to abandon their Anatolian front. And due to the Bolsheviks, the West, that had supported Armenians until then, decided then that is would be better to win over a strategic nation like Turkey before it too fell to the Bolsheviks. Within the chaos of the First World War and the Bolshevik revolution that it spawned we Armenians simply fell through the geopolitical cracks. And none of our revolutionaries could have foreseen it. Armenian history is very complex and self-styled "intellectuals" like Ara need to keep their mouths shut about it.

Beyond that however, I do find his words are contradictory to the fighting resilience I see in many Armenians... Although I've met good examples of such Armenians here in North America, I haven't met anyone from Artsakh, but I wonder what he would have to say about them, the golden core as you call them.
                    I still don't understand why you care for his comments? It's obvious what he would more-or-less say. You don't even need to ask him, just read his endless rants...

Նժդեհ

Comment

... they built the empire for the Turks and Turks rewarded them with death.

Correction: they rewarded them with "turkification". Death and brutality was the casual Ottoman way of dealing with peoples who had a non-turkified identity and who dared to demand justice, tolerance and liberty.

Comment

Working...
                      X