Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Happy Birthday Ara Baliozian!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Happy Birthday Ara Baliozian!

BOOK REVIEW
    CORRESPONDENCE. Volume 2. LETTERS TO GOURGEN MAHARI AND ANTRANIK ANTREASSIAN. By Shahan Shahnour. Collected, edited, and annotated by Krikor Keusseyan. 227 pages. Boston: Mayreni Publishing (50 Watertown St., Watertown, MA 01472). 2005.
    In his preface, Krikor Keusseyan writes: "The CORRESPONDENCE is a mosaic of opinions and judgments on art, literature and politics." What makes these opinions eminently readable is their objectivity. Obviously, they were not meant for publication. If they have been published it's because of Krikor Keusseyan's steadfast admiration of Shahan Shahnour. But let the author speak for himself.
    On Siamanto: "A plagiarist who translated Maeterlinck's verse word by word and passed it on the unsuspecting reader as his own. No one is aware of this, and it was by pure chance that I stumbled on it."
    On Simon Simonian: "There is about him the odor of the shopkeeper."
    On Arshak Chobanian: "He is an untrustworthy, self-centered careerist."
    On Hagop Oshagan: "He is incapable of writing an accessible, clear sentence."
    On his fellow Armenians: "I will not comment on my adversaries. As for my so-called friends: if you only knew the acts of stupidity, cowardice, and duplicity that I have witnessed."
    On Gostan Zarian: "He describes nature well. The problem is, the principal subject of literature is not nature but man."
    I disagree with Shahnour here. Zarian's portrait of Charents in his BANCOOP AND THE BONES OF THE MAMMOTH has Dostoevskian penetration. There are, moreover, unforgettable portraits and sketches in all his works - Martiros Saryan in THE TRAVELLER AND HIS ROAD, Zabel Yessayan in the WEST, Lawrence Durrell in THE ISLAND AND A MAN are three that come readily to mind.
    Shahnour was born in Istanbul but spent most of his life in French hospitals, sanatoria, and retirement homes. In a letter to Mahari he has this to say about his fellow French-Armenians: "They are all well off now, but they can no longer be said to be Armenians. Which is why all that talk of repatriation in the Yerevan press strikes me as so much empty verbiage."
    At one point in his career, Shahnour adopted the pseudonym Armen Lubin and published several critically acclaimed volumes of prose and verse in French. In another letter to Mahari he writes: "I have heard it said that I write in French to make a little money. What nonsense! Writing poetry has at no time been a source of income to anyone, be it in France or anywhere else for that matter."
    About himself: "I have committed many thoughtless acts in my life, or so they tell me, but no one can testify that these acts have been to the detriment of the nation, only to myself and my reputation, both of which are of no consequence to anyone else but me."
    On our dime-a-dozen pundits: "Shopkeepers drop in on me out of nowhere and take it upon themselves to deliver lectures. What do they know about conditions of life in France? What do they know about literature? To learn and to know are two different things. They have learned some things but they lack intuitive knowledge. What am I supposed to do with them? Tell them to shut up? But that's against my temperament."
    #

BOOK REVIEW
    LA VIE COMME ELLE EST (Life as it is): Short stories. By Krikor Zohrab. Translated into French by Mireille Besnilian. 110 pages. Marseilles. Editions Parentheses. 2005.
    A highly respected lawyer, politician, editor, and author, Krikor Zohrab (1861-1915) is remembered today as one of our ablest short story writers. Writes Hagop Oshagan: "Zohrab is one of those rare individuals who do the work and live the lives of eight or ten men and excel in each. He is the most brilliant, accomplished and enduring figure in the Realistic movement of our literature."
    According to Mesrob Janashian: "Zohrab viewed conservatives as hidebound obscurantists. He attacked the Armenian establishment of Constantinople - the Church as well as the bosses. He constantly urged the youth to adopt progressive Western ideas. Even when he went to extremes, he at no time passed the bounds of reason and common sense."
    In American terms he might best be imagined as a hybrid of President Kennedy (Zohrab was likewise assassinated at the height of his powers), and Hemingway - though as a short story writer he is more like Guy de Maupassant in his subtle depiction of feminine psychology, and Anton Chekhov in his sympathetic treatment of the lower classes.
    The collection under review contains some of his most widely admired stories. Their translation is so elegantly executed that they read as though they were originally conceived and written in French.
    The recent study of Armenian women writers by the Canadian academic Victoria Rowe, and now this translation by Mireille (not an Armenian) Besnilian, may suggest that odars are more interested in our literature than our academics and pundits from the Middle East, most of whom happen to be fluent in half-a-dozen languages (or so they tell us), who are, it seems, too busy with far more important projects to have any time left for translating our writers, a great deal of whose works remain terra incognita not only to odars but also to the overwhelming majority of Armenians in the Diaspora who cannot read Armenian.
    #

QUOTATIONS FROM
    SHAHAN SHAHNOUR'S
    CORRESPONDENCE, VOLUME II.
    Collected, edited, and annotated by Krikor Keusseyan.
    On Vazken Shoushanian:
    "I have read only one book by him, an epistolary novel, which is a definite failure because it happens to be a youthful work. Has he written anything better? I asked this question to an associate of his, Nartuni, who answered: "He is a worthless man. He will write nothing of any value."
    I don't accept this verdict at face value because these two Tashnaks can't stand each other."
    On Antranik Zaroukian:
    "When he was young, he was a fanatic Tashnak. And more. He confused swearing with reasoning. He is wrong if he thinks I hold a grudge against him. No, never! Even if he had remained an obstinate partisan I could not have harbored vengeful thoughts in his direction, only pity and scorn."
    About the shenanigans of the Jerusalem Monastery:
    "Among other thing, Nartuni told me all about the wheeling-and-dealing in Jerusalem and the scandalous conduct of our Holy Fathers there - their alcoholism, contrabandism, womanizing, gambling, thievery…He knows them well having spent some time in their company. He tells me these high-ranking ecclesiastics are themselves former orphans [survivors of the massacres] gathered from the desert. Alas!"
    On our press:
    "In order for our press to play a useful role in our social and political life, there must be such things as public opinion and collective memory, in whose absence blunders will be forgotten and incompetent leaders glorified."
    On the literary scene in the Diaspora:
    "Our literary market place is now in the hands of senior citizens - Vratsian, Chobanian, Oshagan - individuals who don't have to work for a living and they have all the time in the world to write and write…Let them write so long as they don't give us a headache with their endless arguments and senile problems."
    In my recent review of this book I neglected to mention that half of it consists of endnotes, that can be read as a brief introduction to 20th-century Armenian history and culture. In addition to being a dedicated fan of Shahnour, Krikor Keusseyan is a meticulous scholar whose comments are as informative as Shahnour's observations and insights.
    #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
      I must therefore conclude that, if they continue to read me, I must have a special gift, a gift that all writers dream to have, namely, that of being irresistible. Which amounts to saying I am on my way to achieving immortality.#
      Well, I am afraid I have to agree with you here, Ara.

Long after you are gone. Every time I take a dump in the toilet, I'll think of your "notes / comments"

As a matter of fact, even now, your works have a 'laxative' effect on me

Wait... Wait...

Oops!

Gotta run...
      Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sunday, February 10, 2008
        MEDITATIONS
        Nothing comes easier to an Armenian than to overestimate himself to the same degree that he underestimates his fellow men. Hence the familiar phenomenon of the inbred moron who assesses himself as a genius.
        You may think you know more about yourself than anyone else, but the truth is, what you know is so biased that it might as well be devoid of all value.
        Sometimes you are judged less by what you know, what you can do, or who you are, and more by your underarm deodorant.
        The aim of propaganda is to mislead and deceive not the enemy but ourselves.
        Patriotism is invariably connected to militarism, and the end of militarism is the slaughter of the enemy – in the name of self-defense, of course.
        It’s when you think you can do no wrong that you commit your greatest blunders.
        #

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
          Well, I am afraid I have to agree with you here, Ara.

Long after you are gone. Every time I take a dump in the toilet, I'll think of your "notes / comments"

As a matter of fact, even now, your works have a 'laxative' effect on me

Wait... Wait...

Oops!

Gotta run...
          turks are us!

Comment

MEDITATIONS
            Calling me a turk, you hurt me
            My pundits are attempting to silence me
            I say to those, if you don't like my free speech, then don't read me
            But knowing that they read me, that means I must have a special gift, a gift that all writers dream to have, namely, that of being irresistible
            So, just like you, I am on my way to achieving immortality
            #
            Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

HOW NOT TO BE A GOOD ARMENIAN
              One of the worst blunders an Armenian can make is
              trying to be a good Armenian. It can’t be done. It
              makes no difference whether you try to be a good
              Tashnak, Ramgavar, Communist, chezok (non-partisan or
              anti-partisan) or, for that matter, a devout Catholic,
              Protestant, Orthodox, or Muslim. There will always be
              an organized group of Armenians, and by extension, a
              fraction of the community, that will label you a
              second-class citizen or reject you as an undesirable.
              If, on the other hand, you try to be a decent human
              being, you will be so busy that you won’t have any
              time for ideologies, orthodoxies, and all kinds of
              other closed systems of thought whose intent is to
              make you forget that all men are brothers and a
              dishonest Armenian is worse than an honest Turk.

Comment

MEDITATIONS
                But knowing that they read me, that means I must have a special gift, a gift that all writers dream to have, namely, that of being irresistible
                #
                you are a great source of inspiration to me. for which i thank you.

Comment

p.s.
                  to paraphrase plumbers' slogan:
                  "Your crap is my bread and butter."

Comment

?
                    MEDITATIONS
                    #

What are you doing?? You made me 'cry'.

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
                      you are a great source of inspiration to me. for which i thank you.
                      BS you empty SOB

What does Armenian inpire you to do? Write more garbage? You would do this with or without Armenian's "inspiration".

Your insipration comes from your perpetual dislike of Armenians and your unhealthy hate for yourself.
                      Last edited by crusader1492; 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X