Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God

What is better...

Having a belief in god
    or
    Being an athiest

?

Re: God

personally i think it's better to have a belief in god(this can mean that you believe we are all god in reality which i do)

but I have studied alot of western philosophy(paticularily Nietzsche) and compared it with Buddhist or Christian beliefs and found that buddhism/orthodox christianity give people more initiative to go on living and treat people with respect.

The problem with Nietzsche etc is one views the world as a constant power struggle, and is subsequently brought to the assumption that the only real thing in life that has meaning is POWER and that you have to assert your power of other people/dominate to get that fix and feel good. This has plagued western thought and thrown out basic morals of human kindness etc. Everywhere you look in the west people only care about climbing up the social ladder and being more rich and powerful. All the dictators round the globe(Bush a good example), they're pretty much on par with criminals or pimps(whose only motivation is to get as many girls/guys psychologically under their control and dependancy..not even sleeping with any of the girls cos in their mind that would mean they would loose a degree of power over them).

So you can either play that game or realize that we are all human and underneath that ego based facade spurred by our own insecurities, we can treat eachother like equals and with compassion. The ego makes us think that we are seperate from everything and that the world owes us a living and we can only find our place by proving it to people. If we drop the ego, we find we already have an identity and we were born with it...we don't need people's opinions or thoughts to tell us who we are...we are perfect from the start.

We are all god we just have to unlock our true essence.
    Only when we love ourselves can we love others.

Will be interested to see some constrating views to this and if anyone agrees or not.
    thanks
    phil

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
      What is better...

Having a belief in god
      or
      Being an athiest

?
      I'll ignore the fact that this is a false dichotomy and just say that religion is a disgusting festering disease and a mockery of the potential of the human mind. There isn't even a higher order of organism above humans on this planet and I'm still embarrassed by these things I need to call my fellow man walking about imagining crap because someone told them to or because they think it'll make them feel better. It's delusion at it's most disturbing. There are no gods, no fairies, no souls, no ghost, no demons, no chakras, no astrological systems... Nobody is watching you. Nobody is protecting you. Nobody is judging you. Nobody is creating stupid little rules for you to follow so you can reap some reward. Quasars and quarks and dark matter and brown dwarfs and black holes and nebulae and neutrinos and gamma rays could not care less about how you live your infinitely short life. It's pathetic and childish to believe in things that are not there. Things that manifest themselves in your pathetic, flawed, vague little "feelings." Religion's connection to human fears and egotism is incredible transparent and ridiculous. Choose to evolve to a higher being and drop this supernatural nonsense. Read a real book. Grow up and let go of your imaginary friends so I no longer have to classify you as mentally diseased.

Comment

What's most important for you as an individual and as a leader is to develop your own understanding of your faith, your world, whether or not this includes God, or quarks and neutrinos, both of which require some level of abstract thought in order to be conceptualized.

It never hurts to do research and become acquainted with ideologies and doctrines that are contrary to those we follow. Our understanding of religion, whether as a good thing or a bad thing, evolves constantly, and it's more peaceful and likely more productive to feed it with new and fresh ideas acquired through genuine curiosity and not through hostile exchanges of emotion between you and those of other denominations. It's best to approach this matter without having a will to vocally defend your own religion/worldview at all costs in a scenario you are trying to learn about someone else's.

We also can regard religion, especially in it's localized form, as a means by both its organizers and its followers, to achieve certain social goals. In the case of Diasporan Armenians for example, to uphold a bastion of Armenian-ness in whatever diasporan community they may be living in is probably a common goal between the organizers of the church and its followers. It is also used to bring its community together and often invokes ties between different families that would otherwise not exist. For the followers, sharing a common faith implies common traditions, cultural ideas and feelings, this brings us together. I think for an Armenian, attending church has many pros even though I rarely attend.

In my opinion, you don't need to attend church in order to believe in God or to follow the tenets of Christianity.

I think it's important to not limit ourselves to one empowering state of mind, I see no problems with upholding a spiritual mindset that shows concern for my environment whilst having an Nietzsche's understanding of power. I think the trap lies in the needs for religious identification/denomination being allowed to restrict our exploration of philosophy, academic research and looking for the underlying aspects and workings of human aspirations through both religion and science that are largely the same.
        Last edited by jgk3; 08-25-2008, 06:10 AM.

Comment

If someone’s blind and can’t see colors, light, darkness, the sun, the moon, all the stars and planets that people talk about them all the time it doesn’t mean they don’t exist. A materialist, self-centered person cannot see, feel or even come close to understanding the spiritual world which is not physical at all. By reading few philosophy or science books will not allow you to understand or see it. The more you attach yourself to the physical or material world and the more you concentrate on yourself, stay away from spiritual world; it will stay away from you too. Don’t think it will chase you and beg you to become a believer.
          Everyone’s free to believe or not believe in God, but I don’t understand one thing though, is why non believers always bad mouth or bash God and believers.

Comment

Maybe this will help a little to understand God:
            EWTN is a global, Catholic Television, Catholic Radio, and Catholic News Network that provides catholic programming and news coverage from around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Yedtarts View Post
              If someone’s blind and can’t see colors, light, darkness, the sun, the moon, all the stars and planets that people talk about them all the time it doesn’t mean they don’t exist. A materialist, self-centered person cannot see, feel or even come close to understanding the spiritual world which is not physical at all. By reading few philosophy or science books will not allow you to understand or see it. The more you attach yourself to the physical or material world and the more you concentrate on yourself, stay away from spiritual world; it will stay away from you too. Don’t think it will chase you and beg you to become a believer.
              Everyone’s free to believe or not believe in God, but I don’t understand one thing though, is why non believers always bad mouth or bash God and believers.
              I agree

Comment

Mother Teresa was not very bright. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                  I agree

+1

It takes more inner strength to be a believer.
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                  to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

interesting opinions dudes lets keep em coming.

and wow Stark you aint gonna convince anyone with just insults. care to explain what your views are in a logical way and what makes them as valid as mine?

Comment

Working...
                    X