Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Consdering this forum is so inactive lately...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consdering this forum is so inactive lately...

I am going to ask you all because there is simply no activity for the past few days. It's not long so please read and tell me what you think. This is really important and I need some real advice so please dedicate five of minutes of your busy life to me, for once.

I'm writing a "review on an aspect of film" and for that reason, I chose Cinematography. The good thing is not many of you know too much about cinematography, in detail. So, please tell me how this sounds. Is it boring, considering you're not into film/cinematography? Is it interesting? Is it informing? The following is a draft and the paragraphs may not be in the correct oder.

------------

Through the years in motion pictures, cinematography has become a form of art rather than just an aspect of film. The exceedingly imaginative and devoted process of cinematography allows a sense of creativity, more so than any other aspect of filmmaking. Cinematography is a fascinating form of expression which characterizes emotion and tells a story through images. It is a craft of filmmaking which requires the cinematographer to thoroughly understand the effects of light, color and shadow. By establishing the mood and tone of a film, cinematographers help create an appealing atmosphere through their personal techniques.

A cinematographer interprets the director’s vision and brings life into an idea. They are primarily in charge of controlling the overall look of the film and are the deciding factor for any camerawork. Gordon Willis (The Godfather, Annie Hall) and Roger Deakins (Fargo, No Country for Old Men) have both made a significant impact on American cinema with their technical approach to filmmaking. Deakins’ history as working as a still photographer enables him to photograph landscape like no other cinematographer. Swedish cinematographer Sven Nykvist was known for his minimalism behind the camera; his preference of using natural light while filming helps create a sense of realism throughout the film. Cinematographers, with the help of directors, captivate and engage viewers through dramatic, moving performances and scenes.

Gregg Toland revolutionized filmmaking techniques with his use of deep focus in Citizen Kane. Shallow depth of field was used in film to leave the background out of focus. However, Toland’s inventive use of lighting techniques caused everything in frame, including the foreground and background, to remain in sharp focus. This technique became known as deep focus and is akin to what our eyes see in real life. Camera angles and movements allow cinematographers to influence a viewer’s psychological response as well. Irmin Roberts, second-unit cinematographer on Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, invented the dolly zoom. In this effect, the camera starts at a distance from the subject with the lens completely zoomed in. As the camera tracks into the subject, the lens begins to zoom out so that the subject in the foreground remains the same size. This causes the surroundings to increase in depth of field as the lens is zoomed out causing a sense of distance between the subject and backdrop. The dolly zoom provides an unsettling effect which disrupts the viewer’s visual perception.

American filmmakers Stanley Kubrick and Woody Allen both have a very different approach to filming. Kubrick’s knowledge of lighting and cinematography enabled him to create some of the most visual films in the history of cinema. Woody Allen’s influence of European cinema can literally be seen through the scenes of his films. His preference of allowing the camera to become a character puts the audience directly into the action. Unlike other American filmmakers, Allen and his cinematographers have relied less on the close-up of an actor and resorted to long, uncut takes during key scenes. Cinematographers also have the privilege of filming a scene while viewing the action through the lens of their cameras. “That’s the thing I love about what I do,” says Deakins, “watching fine actors become their characters in front of my lens whilst everyone else is just seeing them on a monitor.”

Filmmaking, in general, is a collaborative process where artists come together to achieve a certain goal. Screenwriters use dialogue and description to tell a compelling story, directors intensify the story through the performances of the actors, and cinematographers use their creativity behind the camera to enhance and expand the story.

Re: Consdering this forum is so inactive lately...

I'm not too interested in it, but others probably are and if you have a passion for cinematography then just go for it.
    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Cinematography is not my concentration; I just chose the topic because I wanted to write about something different.

Does "I'm not too interested in it" means you didn't like it, or you didn't bother reading it because you're not interested?

Comment

It means I read it and thought it was well written, but not something I would look up on my own.

Like I said, if you want to do something like this just do it, obviously you have the free time and motivation.
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
        to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Sounds good One-Way. I would replace "Woody Allen" with someone like "Jim Jarmusch" that really had an impact on the artistic aspect of American film making, nothing to this day came close to his work.

Comment

Boring

Comment

Maybe everyone is just really busy with school & work
              Well I know I am.
              Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by Sero View Post
                Boring
                Somedays, I like you. Other days, I don't.

Today is that day, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                  Somedays, I like you. Other days, I don't.

Today is that day, my friend.
                  Lol i thought you wanted me to comment to say if i was active.

Lol i just said something i didn't even read it.

too lazy

Comment

Working...
                  X