Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Good Old Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Old Days

I wish the world was as joyful and safe as it was the world was as in great shape in the good old days despite some issues. Man in the old days they had the Michael Jackson's, more prosperous countries, less violence, there wasn't much of the terrorist activity going on as it is today. The Soviet Union was an empire producing good prosperous republics, other countries in the world were prospering like Argentina, or Zimbabwe which was one of the most prosperous countries in Africa under the good old Ian Smith days.

Dad and I were chatting about his life years ago and he was telling me how in his time his generation lived the best lives they have ever had. Sometimes I wish I experienced that as well. I am confident that we will overcome our issues it just takes hard work and collectiveness I believe we can do it.

Its becoming more of a sadder and dangerous world with more violence, the Taliban creating destruction and devastation to some countries in the world, now we have Robert Mugabe who has killed an entire country, we now have Iraq which was one of the wealthiest and most advanced nations in the world 30 years ago totally destroyed and collapsed into a sad and sorry failed state etc.

I just wish the world was as prosperous, happy and safe as it was free from anger, destruction, war, terror. Man I miss those good old days

I want to hear your opinions about the world today, your feelings, your comparisons. Also I would like you to discuss what life was like in Armenia during the Soviet Times and today, feel free to vent your frustrations, joys, worries etc.

I also would like people to post articles from relating to the years in history of success stories or countries or people etc versus today and our successes and challenges etc.

Most of the time I will put the summary of the article and identify the continuance of the article, also I will include the source of the article. I will have direct input into this threat with the support of other forumers if they wish to do so at anytime.

I look forward to hearing your varied opinions.
    Last edited by JohnCanadian; 05-01-2009, 03:36 AM.

Re: The Good Old Days

Ahhh yes, the good old days. When we weren't pummeled with terrorist activity in the news... but I doubt the world was a safer place. Perhaps we were just not made aware of everything? Let's take a look at some US military history prior to 2001 and try to understand why we are where we are.

Hostage Rescue & Inter-State Conflict
    News Story 1975 (May 15)
    Khmer Rouge Guerrillas (the new government of Cambodia)

Iranian Hostage Rescue "Desert One" or "Operation Eagle Claw"
    1980 (April 25)
    Hostage Rescue & Inter-State Conflict
    Iran

U.S. Libya Conflict
    1981, 1986
    Inter-State War
    Libya

U.S. Intervention in Lebanon
    1982-1984
    Civil War,Foreign Intervention & Inter-State War
    Syria & Various Muslim and Leftist Lebanese Militias

U.S. Invasion of Grenada
    Inter-State War
    Marxist Grenadian Faction & Cuba

The Tanker War

"Operation Earnest Will"
    1987-1988
    Inter-State War
    Iran

U.S. Invasion of Panama
    Inter-State War
    Panama

Second Persian Gulf War "Operation Desert Storm"
    Inter-State War
    Iraq

"No-Fly Zone" War
    1991-2003
    Inter-State War
    Iraq

U.S. Intervention in Somalia
    1992-1994
    Civil War & Foreign Intervention
    Various Somali Militias

NATO Intervention in Bosnia (Operation Deliberate Force) Summary
    1994-1995

Civil War,Foreign Intervention & Inter-State War
    Bosnian Serb Rebels

U.S. Occupation of Haiti
    Foreign Intervention
    Haitian Government

U.S. Embassy bombings and strikes on Afghanistan and Sudan (The bin Laden War)
    August, 1998
    Terrorist Conflict

"Desert Fox" Campaign (part of U.S./Iraq Conflict)
    December, 1998
    Inter-State War
    Iraq

Kosovo War
    Civil War, Foreign Intervention & Inter-State War
    Yugoslavia/Serbia

Attack on the USS Cole
    October 12, 2000
    Terrorist Conflict
    Terrorists associated with Osama bin Laden
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Ian Smith Has Sadly Been Proved Right

At that meeting, Mugabe told Smith he was acutely aware that he had inherited from his old adversaries, the whites, a xxxel of a country, and he praised its superb infrastructure, its efficient modern economy, and promised to keep it that way[....]

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3...ved-right.html
      Last edited by JohnCanadian; 05-01-2009, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCanadian View Post
        Man in the old days they had the Michael Jackson's
        Music is a highlight of why I would've loved to be apart of the good ol' olden days. It's sad to hear 'music' in this generation. I don't even consider it music nor do I consider them Artists, it's more like trashy human beings who got favored from this stupid 'pop' culture fan world. Music has become more of a trend rather than something valuable and worth downloading from Limewire, transferring into your Windows Media Player, and then burning it onto a CD to play in your car, putting it on 'repeat'. I switch the radio on and all I hear is, B-word this and B-word that. I'm not bashing on profane in general, it's just this filth that the culture has permanently stamped into the brains of society. It's like if you don't sing/rap about sex and one night stands, your album is not bound to make it to the top. Are you kidding me? I mean, I can only imagine what kind of filth will trend about in the future when I've got kids.

Comment

Long ago there were okay rap groups like the Roots (who actually used real instruments), Public Enemy, Run DMC and they wrote about valid social issues grown up stuff (as opposed to adult, which basically is about da skirts yo ),
          I've never really been into rap though, always been a metalhead

However I gotta agree with Dre here, things weren't any less violent, the Guatemalan Genocide occurred, the Argentine Dirty War, the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia (i.e Azeris : "We're allowed to steal your land, but your not allowed to even have one small defacto Republic called Artsakh")

Zimbabwe is a varied subject, I would not want white supremist rule back, it was horrible, it might have been great for whites (i.e Anglo Saxons) but not for anyone defined as non white, such as Indians (which are Armenians and other Near Easterners were as well sometimes defined as, as well as sometimes coloured), indigenous Africans and so forth

Don't get me wrong, Mugabe is a monster, but trading demons for devils is a foolish practise, plus other African countries have done very well under African rule, bottom line its Africa, it should be ruled by Africans, were blacks are the majority, its only fair that blacks have the majority rule

Elsewhere, if you were Chicano before the 60s and 70s, you had NO rights, being Irish was basically synonymous with being discriminated against (googled Black and Tans, the Irish Famine, the NINA laws, the Belfast Riots, the Conlin case with the Guildfords and Maguires)l, Armenians were treated horrifically at times even in the US when Armenians were barred from living in certain areas, paranoia also about Near Eastern people in general was constantly on the go as people believe everyone from the Near East are Muslim terrorists (forgetting not all Muslims are terrorists and not all West Asians are Muslim) purely based on physical (i.e racial/ethnic) appearance

Sadly put, there was never any peace during the previous centuries or now, for over a thousand years there has just been constant warfare
          Last edited by Pedro Xaramillo; 05-02-2009, 05:21 AM.

Comment

There isn't really a good old days. If one area of the world is good, another area of the world is in hell.

Comment

You know what? I totally agree with you. The good old days spanned from the beginning of time up to about the 1970's. The 70's was just the starting point. The world has plummeted from the 70's and now we are in 2009. People in the old days could trust each other much more than of today's world. I live in the richest, and most powerful nation, the richest state, and the riches city of the state, Los Angeles, CA. The richer an area becomes the worst it gets. There needs to be a fair balance accross our nation, and accross the world. Money ruins nations, and it has in the past. All this power, all this money, is doing nothing for America. Our democracy is self canabalizing itself, like democracy has done in the past. It is so hard, here in Los Angeles. I wish I had a time machine to go back to the 20's. I think I would fall in love with the people of the world. Life was so much easier. A milkman had a house, cars, and a loving wife who didn't work. Everything was better. Now, we are dealing with a world in which you can't even trust your own mother anymore. I have personally had some horrific experiences in life with people. I can't believe people like this even exist in history. Christians, and theologins say the end is near. I think their right. The evil cruelty I personally experienced in life was extremely rare in the old days. Very sad, sad era in time.

Comment

Working...
              X