Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Christianity Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christianity Q&A

Christianity: "God created man in his own image": Which man is this? Like at what stage of homo-genus in history this this creation start? If God created man in the current form of man a few thousand years ago, then what was he waiting for and why did he create all the other versions of "man" before?
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post
      btw guys post on topic. The topic is me, answering questions about Christianity, and also a bit on Judaism and Islam. Thus immature responses in which the poster thinks they're funny as **** or even posts about what Dante thought are irrelevant.

Stay on topic

This isn't about whether it's true or not, it's about learning about something you don't know, if you don't care about learning anything from this thread then don't partake in it
      Nothing says the subjectmatter cannot be criticised! Why the hell was my post removed?
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
        Christianity: "God created man in his own image": Which man is this? Like at what stage of homo-genus in history this this creation start? If God created man in the current form of man a few thousand years ago, then what was he waiting for and why did he create all the other versions of "man" before?
        In the first version of the creation story (there are 2) it says

Genesis 1:27 (New International Version)

27 So God created man in his own image,
        in the image of God he created him;
        male and female he created them.

Most believe that this does not describe the physical appearance but rather that we are spiritual beings, we have a body, mind, and soul.

This is referenced to Adam and Eve, but whether or not you take the creation story as literal truth or as a parable, the moral is the same, that we are in the likeness of God b/c we have a soul.

As for when this occurred according to the time scale of human evolution, perhaps as soon our ancestors actually became humans. Perhaps the soul was the final push in changing a hominid into a human

Comment

Sorry about that, I did a general cleanup of the thread. After considering your comment, I brought your post back haykakan.

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post
            In the first version of the creation story (there are 2) it says

Genesis 1:27 (New International Version)

27 So God created man in his own image,
            in the image of God he created him;
            male and female he created them.

Most believe that this does not describe the physical appearance but rather that we are spiritual beings, we have a body, mind, and soul.

This is referenced to Adam and Eve, but whether or not you take the creation story as literal truth or as a parable, the moral is the same, that we are in the likeness of God b/c we have a soul.

As for when this occurred according to the time scale of human evolution, perhaps as soon our ancestors actually became humans. Perhaps the soul was the final push in changing a hominid into a human

Please prove the exictance of soul. Since this is the thing separating us from the other homanids then it would be pretty important to prove that such a thing exists befor claiming that it is the difference. Without this proof this argument is null and void.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Haykakan first off, please stop wasting space in this and other threads by quoting the entire previous statement, you don't need to even quote most of the time, people will get what you're referring too, and if you must absolutely quote, quote only what you are referring too.

That being said

It is impossible to prove, or disprove for that matter that there is a soul. Some say the soul is just a persons mind, since over all a human's mind, even those with substandard ones, are above animals in general in terms of iq, the ability to make major choices, and have a broader emotional spectrum

The bible says that sin in thought is still sin, so perhaps that is evidence that the soul and the mind are one. (This does not mean every bad thought is sin however. I.E. looking at someone, and finding them attractive is fine, however looking at them, lusting at them, and imagining ............ well you get the picture, is bad)

Yes animals have thoughts and they have minds, but over all, compared to humans, their ability to make long, planned out decisions and moral compass, are limited. So perhaps the soul is just our more advanced and open mind,

Either way haykakan, as I've said before, this thread isn't about proving or disproving, it's about explaining. If you want to make a thread about debunking Christianity or any religion, you are free to do so. Whether you despise Christianity or not, I'm sure there's an actual verse, rule, story, something not vague, that you'd rather understand better. Your questions are valid, but "prove the souls existence" for example, can be applied to any religion, ask something specific about Christianity......You wouldn't treat a thread on Armenian pagan beliefs with this much contempt.
              Last edited by ara87; 10-17-2009, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I agree with the quoting part but you never know if while your writing something if someone else isnt going to post things before you do thus it could be confusing what i am responding to.
                My problem isnt with christianity but religion in general, i mean here we are discussing something which is based on stories and fairytailes and makes huge claims as to the existence of things and consequences etc..non of which can be proven and most of it doesnt even make sence yet there are people who devote their lives to such things and some who are even willing to die for it. I wouldnt treat a thread on pagan beliefs with as much contempt because those beliefs no longer enslave the minds of my people and have been replaced by various chrystian beliefs yet if you know religion which you seem to know then it is very clear that chrytianity, judaism, islam are all derivatives of sun worchip where they have replaced the sun with a image of themselves while claiming that it is god that has created them in his own image instead. The more one studies religion the more aware one becomes that they all are a sham and that most of the major ones are all basicaly sun worship where the sun has been replaced by the son and thats really about it. It annoys me to think that we spend so much resources, energy, brain cells..on something which couldnt be more irrelavent. I am sure there are plenty of verses, rules and stories about chrystianity i do not know about and perhaps i would find some of them amusing but thats where my interest ends. Speaking in general tems this religion and all the other major ones revolve around worshiping solar energy, but today we understand solar energy and it no longer needs to be worshipped as a matter of fact if we found someone worshiping solar energy we would probably call him a nut yet here we are worshiping its derivative instead. I am sure you know a lot about religion and that you pride yourself on the knowledge that you possess because it took effort on your part to gather such knowledge and comprehend it and now to explain it to us but in all seriousness what perpose does it serve? How is knowing all the details of this derivative of solar energy going to do you or us any good? You would have been much more productive studying solar energy itself thus perhaps getting something usefull out of it instead of making this thread and thus compelling me to write this long ass reply. I am not writing this to insult you nor anyone else for that matter but the more you know religion (and you claim to know plenty) the more it become obvious that it is only rellavent because we force it to be.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Whether or not it is an offshoot of solar worshiping, or if it is true or not, it is a compiled literary work, and so it should be studied. Their are courses on the Lord of the Rings, and other epic fantasies. So if that is what you assume it to be then view it as that, but just b/c it may be false does not mean it should be expunged from the records of time.

I understand also that it may not serve any purpose to you, to be knowledgeable about this subject matter, but if so, then why do you even bother with this thread? No one is asking you to partake in it, how can you complain about it being a waste of time when you are the only one bringing yourself here?

And lastly of all, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, have shapped history immensely, a general understanding of these, would only make learning history easier (i.e. reasons certain rules were made, Reformations, Religious wars, etc)

Comment

mm on topic, asking question (mostly about Christianism for now):

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                    He didn't just want to live among humans, but die for humans on the cross
                    If he dies, he is no God. I can die too, thats not a Godly power.

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    I've read there was no indication that Jesus actually thought or claimed he was God during is life (assuming he existed of course).
                    Yes, this makes more sense.

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
                    If accepting Jesus as your lord and savior is the only way to "god's kingdom"/heaven, what happened to the human population that died before Jesus, or to those people who have never even heard of Jesus/never had a chance to accept him?
                    Some says one can find God by his own mind. So, they still have to believe in God, or whatever they call it. That way, they might go to Heaven too. However, the other group of scholars say that no matter what do they believe in; their actions (being good or bad) would be enough for them to go to Heaven or Hell.

when Jesus died, for the 3 days he was dead, he went to hell, b/c since the sins of the world were placed on his shoulders, he had to pay for them. And while he was doing his penance in hell, he preached to all those that were there, and those that chose to believe were saved.
                    Why should he do that? Cant he just request from God or pray for them? I mean, why did God accepted to send Him into Hell for 3 days.. He is His prophet (and you say could even be the son). Is God that bureaucratic? Even my father would not allow something like that for me... So... Does my father love me more than God loved Jesus?

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                    Hey, I also do not believe that. At least, not physically.

Comment

Originally posted by Army View Post
                      mm on topic, asking question (mostly about Christianism for now):
                      If he dies, he is no God. I can die too, thats not a Godly power.
                      He wasn't just God. He was God in human form, thus he could die. Surely God can do whatever he wants. Think of him more as an avatar of God on earth. He also came back from the dead after 3 days, so that's something god like.

Yes, this makes more sense.
                      He actually did make references to being God, I listed some prior this post. Whether or not you believe those references coincide with the messianic prophecies is up to you.

Some says one can find God by his own mind. So, they still have to believe in God, or whatever they call it. That way, they might go to Heaven too. However, the other group of scholars say that no matter what do they believe in; their actions (being good or bad) would be enough for them to go to Heaven or Hell.
                      like I said, prior postings

Why should he do that? Cant he just request from God or pray for them? I mean, why did God accepted to send Him into Hell for 3 days.. He is His prophet (and you say could even be the son). Is God that bureaucratic? Even my father would not allow something like that for me... So... Does my father love me more than God loved Jesus?
                      Like I said, this is what the Armenian Church and some others believe, it's and older belief too, and isn't universal today.

They believe it b/c although Jesus died for our sins, he still had to pay for them. God in his true form can not be in the presence of sin, and thus Jesus had to pay for all the sins shifted onto him, before he resurrected and ascended into Heaven.

Hey, I also do not believe that. At least, not physically.
                      I already stated the "in his own image" bit was in spiritual aspects and not the physical

Comment

Working...
                      X