Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Have a nice Doomsday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a nice Doomsday

Have a nice doomsday

On my desk, I've cleared a little section that I call Atlantis. That's where I put all the doomsday books publishers send me.

Atlantis has grown heavier over these last months and one day I can see it breaking through my desk and sinking to the bottom of the sea like its namesake.

Some of these books have a worthy Canadian connection. My favorite title is Have a Nice Doomsday: Why Millions of Americans are Looking Forward to the End of the World.

It was written by a Nicholas Guyatt while he was a professor at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, though it was obviously aimed at the American market (10 times the population).

Guyatt tells us that 50 million Americans have come to believe that the apocalypse will take place in their lifetimes. "They're convinced that, any day now, Jesus will snatch his followers and spirit them to heaven."

It's a jaunty book, full of information and conversational contractions as befits an academic aiming for a popular audience.

But I must say that making fun of fundamentalist apocalypse mongers is like shooting fish in a barrel.

If only they weren't so darn scary!

Mark this date
    Mind you, many apocalypse believers are rather sanguine types (unlike liberal worrywarts like me).

That's because they believe they're only "just visiting" on this Earth — even as they insist they are America's super-patriots — on their way to the hereafter.

That's called taking the long view.

For them, financial meltdowns and war in the Middle East presage The End of Days, which opens the door to God's salvation.

It is a holy paradox: Bad news means good news, just wait a bit. That's the apocalyptic formula.

But the Christian Apocalypse, including raptures and the arrival of the anti-Christ, is taking a media back seat to a newer, more secular version, which we can all believe in because it's multicultural.

For those who haven't heard, the end of the world will take place on December 21, 2012, according to the ancient Mayan calendar.

It's a hard rain
    Those Mayans were ingenious astronomers who believed not only in human sacrifice but that time moved in cycles, in coordination with equinoxes and other solar events.

If you want to read a New Age account of this prediction, you can leaf through Alexandra Bruce's 2012: Science or Superstition, which is deemed "the definitive guide to the doomsday phenomenon."

Clearing a path between fantasy and reality, Bruce asks this all-important question: "Is Earth losing its mojo?"

But serious folks are getting into this game, too.

Anthony Aveni is the Russell Colgate Distinguished Professor of Astronomy, Anthropology and Native American Studies at Colgate University in upstate New York.

He has researched and written about Maya astronomy for four decades and his book, a recent arrival to my desktop Atlantis, is called The End of Time: The Maya Mystery of 2012.

Aveni dedicates his book to Dylan, who turns out to be a Canadian high-school student, Dylan Aucoin, from Dartmouth, N.S.

Inquiring minds
    For three years, Dylan has been peppering Aveni with questions about 2012.

Our teenager, it seems, was worried and sometimes horrified. "Is there anything to fear about 2012 and the New Age ideas of destruction and consciousness shifting?" he asked the scholar.

Aveni tells us that serious academics are reluctant to enter the popular marketplace (what world does he live in?).

But because of these Canadian promptings, he set out to write a more accessible guide.

But boy, is this a serious book. It's full of information about Mayan cosmology and astronomy.

I must admit it made my head spin. I think I'd prefer another book, which I haven't yet seen, but which Aveni mentions: The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012.

Or wait for the movie
    For those of you who don't want to read anything at all on this subject, you can always wait for the movie, 2012 — "in theatres November 13."

You may have seen the trailer already on TV. It's amazingly gorgeous and full of monstrous special effects.

Slices of Earth rise up and tidal waves sweep entire cities away. The statue of Jesus overlooking Rio de Janeiro is knocked aside like an apocalyptic bowling pin. The Vatican is crushed. The aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy lands on the White House, riding the crest of a vast rogue wave.

The movie is directed by Roland Emmerich who directed the spectacular disaster films Independence Day and The Day After.

Digital technology is now so advanced that you can readily believe that the end of the world is just plain thrilling.

An end to ennui
    This brings me to a serious point amid all this End of the World glamour.

It's a point that the scholar Benjamin Kerstein makes in his thoughtful, insightful essay The Age of Catastrophic Thinking.

Like everybody else writing about the subject, Kerstein takes us through the obvious points. Rogue states and terrorists with nuclear weapons. Epidemics. Depression (financial and emotional). An atmosphere filled with both greenhouse gases and pervasive anxiety.

Did I miss a few? Just fill in the blanks. We live in an age where catastrophe has become an intellectual staple.

Kerstein also tells us that we are also living in a time of "collective ennui," where we feel overwhelmed and vulnerable, tiny human beings beset by a potentially vindictive universe.

Visions of universal disaster are certainly not a new phenomenon. But our information technology passes them around quickly.

The result, says Kerstein, can be "exciting, a profound antidote to boredom and stasis. It even provides us with a very real sense of global solidarity."

Now, Kerstein is a morally serious fellow who notes that this forced panic does have its downside.

Thinking too much about the End of the World As We Know It "cuts us off from life" and oppresses us psychologically.

"A life lived in fear, after all, is a wretched thing," he writes.

But thanks to Kerstein, we may now also recognize that hidden in all this apocalyptic news is a gleeful note. While we wait for The End, we can munch pop corn, delight at all that lovely destruction and root for our global saviours.

The books keep coming in. I'm piling them on Atlantis like a great Mayan temple.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...p-handler.html
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Re: Have a nice Doomsday

I will die before the doomsday.

Anyway, at the end I will die.. So it does not matter if its the doomsday or a normal one (cancer, accident etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Army View Post
      I will die before the doomsday.

Anyway, at the end I will die.. So it does not matter if its the doomsday or a normal one (cancer, accident etc)
      You don't have to worry unless you live in New York or Washington DC... that's where all the doomsday movies usually take place. But this one is different since the catastrophy destroys parts of South America and Europe too Phew, I'm glad they didn't include the CN tower in Toronto.

That makes me wonder... why don't the catastrophys ever wipe out diamond mines in South Africa. Maybe a couple oil rigs for cinematic effect. Or maybe... just maybe a Mosque or two... or even a Budda statue. Hmmmm.
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 10-30-2009, 09:00 AM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

The reason its 'doomsday' to the Mayans is because they don't believe in Christ Jesus as their Savior.

A hard head makes a soft ass.

kurtçul kangal

Comment

The doomsday is a regular thing for chrystianity. It was suposed to happen 100 years after the death of christ, when that didnt happen they said it will happen a thousand years after his death and all of europe went on a church building spree in the late 900s. When nothing happened in 1000ad they naturally said in 2000ad christ will decend upon the earth..but nobody really believed that either so they went with the whole y2k thing instead. The evangalicals of the usa are the toys of the hryas much like that whole country. They so much want to tie themselves to hryas that they are willing to kill fellow christians (and muslims of course) to draw themselves closer to hryas. Many religions christianity, judaism,.. have a bs doomsday story so just pick the one thats most entertaining and make a movie out of it-o wait they did that already.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
            The doomsday is a regular thing for chrystianity. It was suposed to happen 100 years after the death of christ, when that didnt happen they said it will happen a thousand years after his death and all of europe went on a church building spree in the late 900s. When nothing happened in 1000ad they naturally said in 2000ad christ will decend upon the earth..but nobody really believed that either so they went with the whole y2k thing instead. The evangalicals of the usa are the toys of the hryas much like that whole country. They so much want to tie themselves to hryas that they are willing to kill fellow christians (and muslims of course) to draw themselves closer to hryas. Many religions christianity, judaism,.. have a bs doomsday story so just pick the one thats most entertaining and make a movie out of it-o wait they did that already.
            ehhh... it's a regular thing for pseudo-Christians maybe..... Russia also went on a church destroying spree, adopted national atheism and formed the USSR.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
              Or wait for the movie
              For those of you who don't want to read anything at all on this subject, you can always wait for the movie, 2012 — "in theatres November 13."

You may have seen the trailer already on TV. It's amazingly gorgeous and full of monstrous special effects.

Slices of Earth rise up and tidal waves sweep entire cities away. The statue of Jesus overlooking Rio de Janeiro is knocked aside like an apocalyptic bowling pin. The Vatican is crushed. The aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy lands on the White House, riding the crest of a vast rogue wave.

The movie is directed by Roland Emmerich who directed the spectacular disaster films Independence Day and The Day After.
              And in nanny-state Britain, the trailers for it are required to say that the film contains "a single use of strong langage". Can't be much of an doomsday if it can generate just a single "whatthexxxxishappening". And since it is an American film, no pets or children can die.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                And in nanny-state Britain, the trailers for it are required to say that the film contains "a single use of strong langage". Can't be much of an doomsday if it can generate just a single "whatthexxxxishappening". And since it is an American film, no pets or children can die.
                Britain and the U.S. are paradoxical.... their strange ways of "freedom" seem to suppress and censor which in turn creates this back asswards thinking society. Pets and children are apparently invincible.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                  And since it is an American film, no pets or children can die.
                  A shame. I would have loved to see them start with cats.

Comment

Armenia will still be here in 2013 along with the rest of the world, anyway if you actually believe in Aztec and Mayan religion you seem to forget these were the same people that were insane and cruel enough to do human sacrifice to appease their gods.

As for Christianity the coming of Christ does not mean the end of the world, instead the start of a new one. You can find just as many if not more texts which say evil will be wiped off the Earth and then there will be just good than those that mention the Anti-Christ and the destruction of the Earth.

If there is to be an end to the world we will know it. Why? There is a conspiracy theory for the end of the world every year.

End of World:

2014, 2020, 2028....5090....the list goes on.

Comment

Working...
                    X