Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion and Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion and Atheism

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    Ah, getting personal again? Must be frustrated.
    There is no discussing anything with you. You're about as open minded as Stalin was.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      And you have a terrible read of me. I do not advocate widespread abortion, don't agree with much of the modern (3rd wave i guess?) feminist movement, and I think communism was a terrible idea (I'm a fan of personal responsibility).
      Bahahahahahahahah. Can't believe I missed this one.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        I'm not religious = I have no self discipline
        That is probably the most common mistake most people make (it's like the first example used in any logic or basic math course -- look up converse, inverse, and contra-positive if you haven't taken such courses).

True: I am religious --> I have self discipline
        True: I do not have self discipline --> I am not religious.
        FALSE: I do not have self discipline --> I am not religious. This, what you said, which is totally wrong.

Yes you have to have self discipline to be religious. But just because you are not religious does NOT mean you don't have self discipline. That's what Siggie was trying to say.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
          That is probably the most common mistake most people make (it's like the first example used in any logic or basic math course -- look up converse, inverse, and contra-positive if you haven't taken such courses).

True: I am religious --> I have self discipline
          True: I do not have self discipline --> I am not religious.
          FALSE: I do not have self discipline --> I am not religious. This, what you said, which is totally wrong.

Yes you have to have self discipline to be religious. But just because you are not religious does NOT mean you don't have self discipline. That's what Siggie was trying to say.
          Regardless of what it's called, self discipline requires some basic building blocks to build on. You can call it whatever you want but that's the basis of many religions.

For example, this one blogger is promoting his angle on self discipline http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...lf-discipline/ and he uses "the 5 pillars of self-discipline" as his building blocks identifying Acceptance, Willpower, Hard Work, Industry, and Persistence. Sure you don't have to call it "religion" but in essence he took the concepts from "the 5 pillars of Islam".

He quotes:

"Self-discipline can empower you to overcome any addiction or lose any amount of weight. It can wipe out procrastination, disorder, and ignorance. Within the domain of problems it can solve, self-discipline is simply unmatched. Moreover, it becomes a powerful teammate when combined with other tools like passion, goal-setting, and planning."

The 'Five Pillars' of Islam are the foundation of Muslim life:

Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad;
          Establishment of the daily prayers;
          Concern for and almsgiving to the needy;
          Self-purification through fasting; and
          The pilgrimage to Makkah for those who are able.

So according to Islam, there shouldn't be any fat Muslims. So where in the "5 pillars" of Islam does it say that all infidels must be killed?
          Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Regardless of what it's called, self discipline requires some basic building blocks to build on. You can call it whatever you want but that's the basis of many religions.
            Once again, no one is saying you don't need disciple for religion. Actually I agree with you 110% that to follow most of these religions you have to have a LOT of self discipline. The problem with what you said is that you said the inverse which is not true.

To recap yet again:

Yes agreed: being religious = having lots of self discipline
            (we agree on this so you don't have to say it again).

No, not true: not being religious = not having self discipline.
            (this is where you are making your mistake and neither Siggie nor I agree with you).
            Last edited by Sip; 06-22-2011, 02:25 PM.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

Once again, no one is saying you don't need disciple for religion. Actually I agree with you 110% that to follow most of these religions you have to have a LOT of self discipline. The problem with what you said is that you said the inverse which is not true.

To recap yet again:

Yes agreed: being religious = having lots of self discipline
              (we agree on this so you don't have to say it again).

No, not true: not being religious = not having self discipline.
              (this is where you are making your mistake and neither Siggie nor I agree with you).
              Uhm... I know what you're saying but I can guarantee you people with self discipline do the same basic principles periodically.... whether it's going to the gym daily, jogging every morning, etc. People with no self discipline need someone else to kick their butt or motivate them. That's basically my generalization.

"Self-discipline is a form of freedom. Freedom from laziness and lethargy, freedom from the expectations and demands of others, freedom from weakness and fear—and doubt. Self-discipline allows a pitcher to feel his individuality, his inner strength, his talent. He is master of, rather than a slave to, his thoughts and emotions."
              — H.A. Dorfman
              Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Uhm... I know what you're saying but I can guarantee you people with self discipline do the same basic principles periodically.... whether it's going to the gym daily, jogging every morning, etc. People with no self discipline need someone else to kick their butt or motivate them. That's basically my generalization.
                ... and? What does that have to do with what you said about not religious = not self discipline? I don't think we disagree on what self discipline means.
                this post = teh win.

Comment

... and? What does that have to do with what you said about not religious = not self discipline? I don't think we disagree on what self discipline means.
                  Well the self in self discipline is really redundant. Discipline is really being a disciple unto yourself. Basically a person with discipline is able to learn things on their own and constantly wanting to improve themselves.

"Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound. The man who does not shrink from self-crucifixion can never fail to accomplish the object upon which his heart is set. This is true of earthly as of heavenly things. Even the man whose object is to acquire wealth must be prepared to make great personal sacrifices before he can accomplish his object; and how much more so he who would realize a strong and well-poised life." — James Allen
                  Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Well the self in self discipline is really redundant. Discipline is really being a disciple unto yourself. Basically a person with discipline is able to learn things on their own and constantly wanting to improve themselves.
                    Agreed. So you don't think "not religious = not discplined" anymore? Can we move on?
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Maybe we should freshen our minds with some Ethiopian Orthodox mezmur music venerating our own Armenian martyr, St. Hripsime.

Comment

Working...
                      X