Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Social Media Destroy Relationships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media Destroy Relationships

It's moments like this that makes guys like me feel validated - who have always preached this as a cardinal rule of dating. Those who have always been saying this and have always believed this to be true, and were chastized as "jaded" or having "old world" views now can point to this.

This goes to show you, anyone seeking a relationship should demand the other person to delete any social media accounts such as facebook. This is why as one of the rules for dating, the other person must not have facebook. If they do, you take that person with an increased risk and it is a cause for arguments and unease.

Eventually, social media serves no utility beyond ego satisfaction. It is purely a tool for confidence building of the self, where it goes beyond that into hubris, arrogance and excess. It thus serves as a stimulant of attention and a high that once one begins the fast track upon, is hard to turn back from.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marriage counselors say opportunity is key to infidelity, and it has exponentially increased with social media. Spouses can now easily connect with an old-flame -- or new acquaintance -- and launch an affair via text message or Facebook without even leaving home.

Mike Green remembers back in 2005 when his then-wife asked him to add text messages to their cell phone plan. Green, of Mankato, Minn., had no interest, but his wife went ahead and signed up. After that, he says, she seemed to text all the time — when he'd come home from his evening shift for dinner, when they were cruising the shopping mall.

"Actually, one of my buddies asked me if it was a big deal she was texting all these people," he says. "I said 'No, I trust her, so why would I even worry?'"

Then Green saw a phone bill. He says there were hundreds of texts, a long list of numbers that meant nothing to him. Over time, there was one number more than any other. It was a colleague his wife had started an affair with and for whom she eventually left him.

"Because I was gone at nights, she used him as her support system," he says. "She would talk to him about things."

It turns out that text messages and social media sites like Facebook and MySpace — so beloved for bringing people together — can also drive a wedge between couples.

"We hear this so commonly in our offices that it began to feel like there was a CD player hitting repeat," says Tara Fritsch, a marriage therapist in Edmond, Okla.

To be sure, she says, texting doesn't break up a marriage, people do. But opportunity is a key predictor of infidelity, and social media have increased opportunity exponentially. Does something remind you of an old flame? You can reconnect in the few seconds it takes to type the person's name into Facebook.

"Twenty years ago," Fritsch says, "if you really thought a co-worker was interesting, and later on that evening you thought of them and wanted to say, 'Hey, how you doing?' Then you would have to ask yourself, 'Is it really appropriate to call them at home? What if their spouse answers? What am I thinking about?' "

Today, those stopgaps are gone. Texts and e-mails can be delivered privately. Sending a little message, at least at first, can feel so innocent.

In fact, as Lindsay James of Fort Worth, Texas, learned the hard way that a partner can easily carry on an affair in the same house, even the same room.

"That's what would upset me more than anything," James says. "It's like, 'Wow, he was sitting right next to me, we were watching a movie, and [he was] talking to someone else — and I had no idea.'

The irony, James says, is that her boyfriend admitted he would never have had the nerve to approach other women in person.

Green says he was stunned at how quickly his wife's texting relationship turned into an affair. That's typical. Bob Rosenwein of Lehigh University has found that people communicating online often fall for each other in about a week. That's two or three times as fast — on average — as those courting face-to-face.

"When you don't have nonverbal communication, the likelihood of being able to disclose at a deeper level is greater, because there's less inhibition," Rosenwein says. "So it's going to feel like a more intimate relationship."

Therapist Fritsch says this makes it easier for some with no intention of starting an affair to unwittingly cross a line. Often this leads to a physical affair but even without that, some marriages are damaged.

"The emotional loss — the lies that have hidden the emotional connection — is just as painful as if their spouse had actually gone out and met with someone," Fritsch says.

After his divorce, Green got his own social media accounts and also started texting. He soon learned how easy and addictive it is.

"It's a rush," Green says. "It's a good feeling to have this constant attention poured upon you by anyone that you get to text all the time. And I find myself still loving to get texts from females, and I text, text, text, back and forth."

Yet Green says he's wary about another intimate relationship. He wants to trust again. Every time a girlfriend texts someone else, he can't help but feel suspicious.
    Achkerov kute.

Re: Social Media Destroy Relationships

I agree.

I only have a Facebook account to remain in contact with my acquaintances (not necessarily friends) from school. It's easier, in a sense, to keep in contact through there as opposed to e-mail, because we can also stay in direct contact with others.

I really don't use it for anything else. I don't have any pictures up. I am often tagged in family photos, naturally, that's beyond my control, but I always quickly untag myself so they don't show up on my profile. I'm on super private -- there's no way to find me or add me as a friend unless we have a mutual friend, which is unlikely because I would most likely already know of you.

I mean, generally speaking, I can see how social networking sites do more harm than good. In my case, I also have the chance to see pictures of my cousins from across the world, but they could always e-mail me... they just don't, for whatever reason. My girlfriend doesn't have a Facebook account. So, in a sense, I feel like I shouldn't either, but again, it's too stay in the loop as far as contacts go. I almost always avoid conversing with people and try to share as little information as possible. I think some people are just overly psychotic so this holds true in their respective cases.

Comment

i don't know what you're talking about. virtual reality, where i'm a celebrity and people [that i really have no interest in] pour attention on me, is such bliss

though there may be a purpose to these digital social networks, their utility is being overvalued. get out there and talk to people face-to-face, get to know your neighbor, help an old lady across the street, etc. humans are social beings... not social media.

Comment

If the couples didn't maintain a close bond and weren't open enough to eachother, leading them to hide things and share them with an online friend with future benefits, then so be it.

Comment

Working...
        X