Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian lesbians/gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian lesbians/gays

Originally posted by Sip View Post
    Computers and Internets ... by the time the stuff ends up in books it's way outdated anyway
    Ah, techies!

Comment

Originally posted by Flamenkita View Post
      Or, he's just really secure in his manhood.
      No safer place than your purse

K, I'm done with this one... Next feminist please.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post

haha
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post

Actually, I don't carry a purse. As a student, I had backpacks or enormous canvas totes. With the babies, I had a huge diaper bag. And now, it's a little wallet with the essentials. I don't like baggage. And rather than spend thousands of dollars on designer handbags as some women do, I prefer to put that money into my kids' education funds. I feel I have no one to impress with material stuff. It feels very liberating.

Comment

Meanwhile that is what happens in 4 year liberal art colleges, and in graduate programs in things other than math, some hard sciences, engineering, etc. If a man hasn't bothered to immerse himself into literature and the humanities, he will have very little in common with a woman who has a degree in political science, or art history, or history, or psychology, or comparative literature. It's a shame, really.
            Are liberal art colleges really schools? Do people really get jobs with liberal art degrees? There is a slogan that we often used in University, "Friends don't let friends take arts".

You end up with men who don't have the level of education of the women, and who, as a result, have not had the opportunity to question the beliefs they inherited from their families.

I know many Armenian women who are educated, self-sufficient, independent and who would like to meet Armenian men with whom to make a life.
            They like to think they are all these things when in fact they usually squandered their time in school, ran up some debt and got brainwashed during the process.

What happens is that, after dating several, they realize they have two choices. Either stay single forever or marry out. Men, by a similar token, end up either marrying women younger than themselves, or women who come from the "old country", or women who are not Armenian.
            My grandfather on my father's side was 20 yrs older than my grandmother and she passed away before he did. You might say that it's "old fashioned" but biologically a woman ages faster than a man. You can gripe and complain about it but that's reality.

There is still this crazy deluded notion in circulation that, with enough money a man can have any woman he wants.
            This deluded notion is universal. It's just that Armenian women are usually so spoiled that they have never seen or experienced poverty since they all moved from poorer parts of the world to wealthier ones.

Armenian men are just as much victims of the system as women are. It's like the tea party folks: They are fighting to the death for causes that are contrary to their own best interest.
            Armenian men are victims of having more difficulty integrating into their new surroundings. If you're into humanities, you should read up on how girls can assimilate/integrate into a new culture much better than boys because they are much better at adapting to the social aspects of life. Girls can learn languages quicker as well. What I find rather interesting is your views haven't changed even though you gave birth to a boy. Probably got the poor fella circumcised too.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Nope. Wrong there. My son is about as intact as they come. We don't even allow the pediatrician to retract his foreskin. There are differences between my kids, each has strengths and weaknesses. My philosophy wrt gender is "different but equal".

Comment

So, reading this last post of yours, what I'm getting is that education is useless, that you are deeply resentful of Armenian women (someone must have screwed you over real good), and that books and art are a waste of time and energy, unless they are car manuals. Charming!

Comment

How are critical thinking and brainwashing connected? One is brainwashed into being a critical thinker? Or do you see any effort by anyone to escape the unreasonable demands of clan loyalty as brainwashing?

Comment

Some define intelligence as the ease with which an individual adapts to novel situations. In this sense, human females seem to be more intelligent. But a lot of other things play into how well an individual fares in a new land. An optimistic outlook, resourcefulness, attractiveness...

My daughter is certainly more socially aware and sensitive than my son is, but that isn't always to her advantage. Whereas my son is not really fazed when someone declines an invitation to play, it takes my daughter a lot more time to recover from perceived slights. Also, both my kids are identified as gifted learners and already that sets them apart from others in many ways. Children who are gifted have some real challenges growing up, and that is why I have decided to be home with them during their formative years. It's not easy to connect with other 6 year olds when your conversation openers have to do with the periodic table and Greek mythology.

Comment

Here is something you may not know about liberal arts education, or about the main point of going to college to begin with: The main point of going to college is threefold 1) To learn to think critically and abstractly; and 2) To learn to write clearly about abstract ideas; and 3) To learn to engage in scholarly debate.

Not all fields of study emphasize all three equally, but the core aims are always present. The point of a liberal arts college is to prepare a student for further, more specialized study, and this doesn't usually mesh with the aspirations of first generation immigrants whose children are the first generation entering college, and who are expected to take up study that will lead to a profession (medicine, engineering, business administration, and such), and a certain amount of prestige that, for people from the Near East, is always connected with one's earning potential and material wealth. This pressure falls more heavily on men than on women, and lots of men feel entitled to certain recognition and status for their sacrifices and efforts.

Most liberal arts colleges have very strong preprofessional programs, but generally speaking, no one who graduates is going to enter a lucrative profession. This is a big problem for immigrants from certain parts of the world.

But recall what I said earlier. In America, class mobility is determined not only by one's profession and earning capacity, but by one's command and sophistication in the English language. People who avoid liberal arts colleges are not getting this important piece of the education puzzle, and their upward mobility is hindered as a result. They may be doctors and engineers, but they still express themselves like yahoos who misspell words and have limited vocabulary.

In my own case, I had the fortune of meeting and marrying an Armenian man who went to a liberal arts college and double majored in English and Biochemistry. He is now a physician, but can also converse on art, literature, history, music, culture... And our lives are that much more interesting and richer for it, and our kids are growing up in an environment that supports all their curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                      X