Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Bicycle frame material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycle frame material

Last economic dive forced me to sell my bicycle.
    Aluminum frame with mostly titanium componenents or carbon fiber wrapped aluminum + a few cold forged steel pieces and magnesium pedals.
    Got the weight down to 20 lbs. which is excellent for a mountain bike.
    Was looking at a titanium fram this time in the hopes of shaving some weight.
    Titanium flexes more than aluminum but absorbes more shock & is much stronger & durable.
    I can afford the extra flex as my physical frame is light.
    However, today I came across Paketa bicycle frames made of magnesium.
    Did a cursory comparison to aluminum & titanium vs magnesium, but info was difficult to get a straight conclusion.
    In theory the magnesium should be lighter than either aluminum or titanium & stiffer than aluminum yet absorb mor shock than titanium. Also should be strong enough to take a hell of a banging.
    Emailed Paketa & am waiting for more tech data.
    Would sure be nice to get in the 18 lb range or even sub 18lbs.
    They have a tandem fully decked out that weighs in at 22.5lbs.
    Heard of a guy who built a bike & all components out of byrillium that weighed 11lbs but cost 32,000.00 dollars, and that was 18 years ago. Bit spendy for me.
    Anyway, got my imagination spinning.
    Artashes

Re: Bicycle frame material

I have been experimenting with fishing reels and rods made of carbon fiber. Shimmano makes some great reels which weigh next to nothing and are still strong(they probably made your bicycle parts to). Fishing rods also are being made of carbonfiber. The difference between this new material and fiberglass or even graphite is huge. It is more expensive but totally worth it if you are casting all day. You mentioned magnesium which is also used in reels but i believe it is very corrosive when exposed to saltwater, also isn't magnesium highly flamable?
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      I have been experimenting with fishing reels and rods made of carbon fiber. Shimmano makes some great reels which weigh next to nothing and are still strong(they probably made your bicycle parts to). Fishing rods also are being made of carbonfiber. The difference between this new material and fiberglass or even graphite is huge. It is more expensive but totally worth it if you are casting all day. You mentioned magnesium which is also used in reels but i believe it is very corrosive when exposed to saltwater, also isn't magnesium highly flamable?
      Yes your right, Shammano "XTR" brake levers, shifters, & front/rear derailers are what I traditional run.
      Their cold forged steel used on these parts + build design are top of the line. Their durability is unmatched & because they used ball bearings instead of shims on their XTR group, they function 10 years down the road as well as on day one. Good stuff. Their reels are built like their bike parts, excellent stuff.
      Magnesium when it is finely flaked burns so hot you can ignite a wet log. It's gotta be finely flaked though or you can't get enough oxygen to ignite it. Magnesium wheels won't ignite.
      I like carbon fiber for a lot of things but prefer metal for my frames.
      Although Paketa magnesium frames are bathed in an anti corrosion bath & then painted with a nano particulate paint that is close to the hardness of diamond, which is an extremely tough paint. They have run 3 frames bare for 3 years running with no corrosion yet. The magnesium they use is 94% mag + 6% other metals for an alloy that is sweet.
      Still on the fence as to which way I'll end up though.
      Shimano reels are a thing of be beauty.
      Artashes

Comment

I think titanium would make a better bicycle frame than magnesium.....carbon fiber frames sound good as well.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
          I think titanium would make a better bicycle frame than magnesium.....carbon fiber frames sound good as well.
          Yes, have to agree on titanium. It is virtually indestructible & does not corrode. I can get tubes slightly thicker to iliminate flex.
          Carbon fiber can be made to be virtually indestructible but then you lose the weight advantage. Bike frames of this when hit hard then become junk.
          I talked with magnesium rep today & can fine tune tub wall thickness to get what I seek but bikes gonna cost $10,000.00. Not gonna happen.
          My next bike will have a titanium frame.
          Artashes

Comment

Working...
          X