Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Working with Turks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with Turks

For the last few days I've been a P.A. (Production Assistant) on a student film for the American Film Institute. It's hardly the first time I've done that and as usual it was quite a bit of fun as well as a great learning experience. However I ran into something I didn't think would happen... Turkish people on the set. In fact, the entire Art Department, which was four people, were Turkish, and I just happened to have been assigned as an Art P.A..

The whole thing felt.... weird. I don't know, just helping Turks felt weird to me, even though they as individuals seemed like cool people... but still, something about it felt wrong... I just wanted to go home, it was as if just being in their presence was disturbing to my soul or something, I couldn't describe it.

Again, they never did anything wrong to me... in fact they bought us lunch (I felt weird taking "gifts" from a Turk) and I think one of the girls in the group had a crush on me cause every time I looked over at her she was already looking at me, and blushed and looked away each time. But still.. hearing them talking in their language, hearing them laughing, helping them work, and not to mention being 'out numbered' by Turks (I was obviously the only Armenian there) just felt... wrong. Everything about the situation made my skin crawl in a way I've never experienced before, and as nice as they were...

...I wanted to kill them.
    "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Well this is an interesting topic. I worked in a small office with a Turkish guy once. I was young and didn't know any Turks so I didn't know what to expect. Never really had any problems. Most Turks are basicly oblivious to why we're busy hating them. I think their education system avoids the topic. We even joked about how the first chapter in the users' manual to being Armenian was to hate Turks.

Comment

"We even joked about how the first chapter in the users' manual to being Armenian was to hate Turks."
      That was quite funny said patlajan!
      But as you get older, i think most of us grows out of it...
      A turkish girl at univversity whom i used to study with, (she had no knowleadge about the genoide commited by turkey)
      asked me once, you must always bash us turks at home , dont you
      I said "no, we dont".

Because, actually we dont anymore. We bash Israelis instead, lol.
      I understand now why my parents felt this anger towards turks, it was just taken wrongly by us, as youre young and dont know whats going on in world-politics.now i have a better knowleadge, though i usually think that turks are very badly educated , and should get a grip of themselves and learn about their history, there are many racist turks out there(not to mention Azeris...)

their are good turks too, yes but that is not the point. I dont think its wrong for us to critisize turks, not after all they have dont to us, i understand if some armenians hate them...
      Last edited by Tres Bien; 06-18-2004, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
        Well this is an interesting topic. I worked in a small office with a Turkish guy once. I was young and didn't know any Turks so I didn't know what to expect. Never really had any problems. Most Turks are basicly oblivious to why we're busy hating them. I think their education system avoids the topic. We even joked about how the first chapter in the users' manual to being Armenian was to hate Turks.
        Funny how it's so "annoying" that we hate them, completely side stepping the reasons why we do. i actually had a long conversation with my friend, a Jew, on the way home after the shoot. He said as a Jew he has no problems with Germans, but with Nazis, and since Germany is not a Nazi state anymore he has no problem with Germans and since the Armenian Genocide is even older than the Holocaust, we should be over it also.

I thought about it for a second then came back with a response that the jewish/holocaust situation is different from the armenian/genocide one.

1st an fore most, Germany admits the holocaust, Turky doesn't. Once the holocaust was official and in writing, the Jewish people and Germans could begin the forgiveness process. It's impossible for Armenians to forgive the Turkish government because although it's not under Ottoman rule any longer, the current government is unwilling to admit it's atrocitites. How can you forgive and put differences behind you when the person is unwilling to admit what they've done wrong? And as well all know, the reason they're not admiting it is because the ideal thing would be for it to be forgotten over the generations to the point where people wouldn't even ASK them to admit it.

2nd, and this relates to the first, is that not only should we have something against the government but the people themselves. It's easy to say "I have nothing against the Turkish people, just the Turkish government" if the people themselves were on our side... but the Turkish people themselves deny it ever happened (because they were brainwashed into thinking so), and anyone who's a genocide denyer (I know that's not spelled write) is an enemy of mine... hence, Turkish PEOPLE by the nature of brain washing still deserve to be stared at evily by us.

3rd, It's not JUST the Genocide. Sure, some people think that it's ridiculous to hate a nation for something that happened about 3 or 4 generations ago, and I'd agree with them in that... but Turky is still to this day mortal enemies with the country of Armenia. They're still taking land from us (as are the Azerbaijanis) and wasn't it just the other day that Turkish soldiers killed like 19 Armenians or something? It's not just the past we're pissed about... it's the current state of things as well.

I have a feeling the reason the Turkish guy you worked with was laughing was because in his head he was thinking "Ah ha! It's working, the newer Armenians are finally gonna stop giving us xxxx!!! haha!!!"

Well, I'm still a xxxx giver.

Comment

No i dont agree with you, armenians are not the xxxs givers!!!Hate them as much as you like. Despite all the things that turks have done, the armenians or armenia never acted the same way as the turks have.

Comment

You know, as much as it's "unreasonable" to hate/dislike someone when that someone is not even aware/educated as to why you hate/dislike him/her, I still get a very awkward feeling in my gut when I come face to face with a Turk. I feel this hatred just gush into my heart, in a split second. I try to avoid them, because it's very unpleasant for me to be around them. I don't know how to explain it, but I'm sure some of you guys understand. So HyeJinx, you have a very valid point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tres Bien
              No i dont agree with you, armenians are not the xxxs givers!!!Hate them as much as you like. Despite all the things that turks have done, the armenians or armenia never acted the same way as the turks have.
              By giving xxxx I meant giving them constant, ugh, bugging to admit the genocide. And obviously Armenians have never done anything wrong to Turks.

However here's something I wonder... Armenians hate Turks... but do Turks HATE Armenians? I think it's more of an "annoyance" than anything else... because let's face it, Turkish PEOPLE haven't done anything really wrong to Armenians (this does not include the government) so they feel annoyed that we keep bugging them to admit something that THEY in particular did not do. I can see what the Turks of today don't want to admit it... they think of themselves as a good people who've done nothing wrong and don't want the actions of past generations to tarnish their current generation's image... I can understand that, however, if they just came out and admit that their ancestors in the government and military did in fact commit Genocide we finally start getting over this chapter in our history... because by NOT admiting it it's just an open book waiting to be closed... and it will be closed one way or another.

Other than obvious reasons as to why the Genocide should be made official, the reasons I want it to be official is for exposure. Because it's not official there can be no major release of a movie about the Armenian genocide because America and Turkey are friends. America had no reason to dispute a movie like Schindler's List running around in theaters because Germany admits it... a movie like Ararat however could never get major exposure because it tarnishes the image of Turkey to American audiences and America wouldn't go for that. And if anyone thinks the government had no control over what does and doesn't get played in theaters, just look at the whole "Farenheight 911" fiasco.

Comment

I have no problems with Turks who have no problems with Armenians.

Comment

Originally posted by Darorinag
                  Depends what you define as "a problem." To me denying or downplaying the Genocide, as every living breathing Turk does, is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Darorinag
                    Do you have problems with Jews who have no problems with Armenians?

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
                    To me denying or downplaying the Genocide, as every living breathing Turk does, is a problem.
                    The second part of that sentence is not necessarily true. I went over this story once in a different section of the forum, but here's the run down again:

I was ringing up this guy at work, and he paid by credit card. Well, when you run a credit card, the name, #, and expiration date always come up. So I noticed the name. I asked him what nationality he was. He goes "Turkish". My eyes bulged for a VERY quick, split second, and I regained composure and nodded politely (cuz....I'd like to keep my job). I could see he was waiting for me to converse with my own answer, but I just stood their, patiently waiting for the receipt to come up. So finally, he asks me "what are you?" I said "Armenian". This time, HIS eyes bulged, and he went "OHH! On behalf of the Turkish people, I apologize!" I was a bit startled by this response. I was expecting a discussion of the region, or no response at all, etc. The last thing I expected was an apology. We talked for a few minutes about life here and back home (I was born and raised in America, so this was mostly him relying stories), and then he was on his way. So...yeah, there you have it.

Comment

Working...
                    X