Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How many of you here went to a private Armenian high school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ckBejug
    I'm not. Granted I could have gotten a lot further with a good public school education given all the advanced, AP, honors,and gate programs that they have, but I think I fared pretty well given the poor level of college prep they had at Ferrahian.

The only thing I hate about Armenian schools is the snotty pretentious stuck up snobs. But I guess there are plenty of them everywhere so I can't really hide from it anyway.
    Ya I was at the other end of the spectrum.

Comment

I went to Marie Manoogian for first grade only and then I did shapatorya for a couple of years after that.

Comment

Originally posted by violette829
        I went to public schools because my parents really wanted me to be "americanized". I can read and write very little Armenian. This is the sadest post ever.

I just had to laugh. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being an a hole and laughing at the fact that you can't read/write Armenian very well, but just that you indiciated that your post was the sadest post ever on the Armenian club forums.

Originally posted by Baron Dants

I still hate the way they teach Armenian though....uuuuugghhhhh
        What was so bad about it?

Originally posted by ckBejug
        The only thing I hate about Armenian schools is the snotty pretentious stuck up snobs. But I guess there are plenty of them everywhere so I can't really hide from it anyway.
        That's one of the big reasons some I've talked to don't like Armenian schools as well. Someone said that at one school, it seemed like the kids just wanted to out do each other to show who's family had more money.

Comment

Originally posted by leo007
          What was so bad about it?
          Incompetent ladies who only got the job because they are somewhat related to the corrupt president that runs the school. These women have not read a book in the last 34 years, and use the same old regurgitated and recycled material year after year after year.

After the parents, they are a BIG reason for the lack of interest and knowledge displayed by youth today towards Armenia, its history and its culture.

Comment

Regardless of our unique experiences with formal armenian education or the lack of, we can still take advantage of what is offered to us; we're lucky enough to live in such a rich armenian community as in l.a....i know some will think "whatever" but with the bad there is also the good! such as the lit, lang and history courses offered at the local colleges and universities; i highly recommend ucla's armenian lit class i took it a few years ago and for me it was a very unique and special experience; one that i knew i would not have the chance to take again! as long as you know how to read and write you'll make it! the instructor is super cool! (keshishian) and you truely enjoy reading and learning; at least in our class we felt this special bond with our classmates and of course the instructor...where in this big university, a small group of armenian students with different academic backgrounds and interests came together and shared a unique experience; it really was more than just a class for me...it was a heightened cultural awareness and appreciation...hope you guys get to experience it if you have the chance.

Comment

I hate to say this but armenian schools lack of having normal armenian language teachers. 8 years of my life i went to armenian school, and the only thing that was good was that i had only armenian classmates.

Comment

I think all the Armenian schools need to revamp there Armenian Studies sections, from pre-school to the time you graduate from high school. I think the schools need too A work on that, and B on the college entrance thing.

Comment

I went to public school and I can still read/write Armenian better than my cousins and friends who went to private schools. I went to school in Armenia for two years and when we moved here, my mom tutored me and I still followed the curriculum of the schools in Armenia (my grandpa sent us the textbooks every year).

Comment

I went to Armenian Private Schools from Kindergarten to 5th.

I used to piss off most of the Armenian teachers in a smartass way when I went to the private schools. They were sometimes surprised at the things I said when they'd argue with me, because I'd alway get them back with a smartass answer. I'd always used to hide certain problems and/or things I broke in the classroom and they'd find out about it like a month or two down the line and they'd never knew who did it. HAahaha The good ole days.

It was public schools after that from 6th to high school and college and such.

I didn't mind the half-and-half with the public and private combination, because I guess early on since 6th I got to know people outside of my culture as well. Being in private Armenian school, you really don't experience that first hand.

Come to think of it, this "half-and-half" education has given me more of an open mind and made me more sociable with other people.

I can still read and write Armenian, but sometimes I wished that I went passed the fifth grade to learn a little more of our language. Oh well.

Comment

I never went to a private school and never really thought about going.

My dad's friend who had his kids go to an Armenian private middle school said that the education there isn't perfect and not much different from public schools, except for learning about Armenia's history and etc. Anywho, he said that the main reason he had his kids attend an Armenian private school was for them to associate with Armenian kids and now that they are in different high schools and going off to college soon, they are still friends.
                      I see...

Comment

Working...
                      X