Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Russian Films (soviet and post-USSR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Films (soviet and post-USSR)

Is anyone interested in talking about Russian Cinema?
    If you are, what are your favorite films? actors? directors?
    My favorites:
    comedies:
    Обыкновенное чудо / Ordinary miracle
    Кавказская пленница / Prisoner of the Caucasus, or Shurik's New Adventures
    Бриллиантовая рука / The Diamond Arm
    Иван Васильевич меняет профессию / Ivan Vasilievich changes his occupation
    Покровские ворота / Pokrov Gates
    Тот самый Мюнхгаузен / The Very Same Munhgauzen
    Кин-дза-дза / Kin-Dza-Dza
    Двенадцать стульев / Twelve Chairs
    Здравствуйте, я ваша тетя! / Hello, I am your aunt!
    Джентльмены удачи / Gentlemen of luck
    Операция Ы и другие приключения Шурика / Operation Y and Shurik's Other Adventures

dramas:
    Солярис / Solaris
    Москва слезам не верит / Moscow does not Belive in Tears
    Зеркало / The Mirror
    Свой среди чужих, чужой среди своих / At Home Among Strangers, a Stranger Among his own
    Звезда пленительного счастья / The Star of Fascinating Happiness
    Кавказский пленник / Prisoner of the Mountains
    Вор / The Thief
    Любовник / The Lover
    Покаяние / Repentance

about love:
    Обыкновенное чудо / Ordinary miracle
    Ирония судьбы или С легким паром! / Irony of fate or with light steam!
    Вокзал для двоих / A Railway Station for Two
    Москва слезам не верит / Moscow does not Belive in Tears
    Жестокий романс / A Cruel Romance
    Служебный роман / Business romance
    Я шагаю по Москве / I am Walking Along Moscow
    Чародеи / Wizards

War:
    Александр Невский / Alexander Nevsky
    Баллада о солдате / Ballad of a Soldier
    Война / War
    Кавказский пленник / Prisoner of the Mountains
    Отец солдата / Father of The Soldier
    Сто дней до приказа / 100 Days Before The Command
    Торпедоносцы / Torpedo Bombers

Action:
    Белое солнце пустыни / White Sun of the Desert
    Брат / Brother

Horror:
    Вий / Viy or Spirit of Evil

History:
    Андрей Рублев / Andrei Rublev
    Броненосец Потемкин / The Battleship Potemkin
    Война и мир / War and Peace
    Иван Грозный / Ivan the Terrible
    Октябрь / October
    Русский Ковчег / Russian Ark
    Стачка / Strike
    Холодное лето пятьдесят третьего... / Cold Summer of 1953
    Чайковский / Tchaikovsky

Musical Comedy or Costume Drama:
    Д'Артаньян и Три Мушкетера / D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers
    Труффальдино из Бергамо / Truffaldino from Bergamo
    Гардемарины, вперед! / Naval Cadets, Forward!

Sci-Fi:
    Солярис / Solaris
    Сталкер / Stalker
    Кин-дза-дза / Kin-Dza-Dza
    Завещание профессора Доуэля / Professor Dowell's Testament
    Человек-амфибия / Amphibian Man
    Ночной дозор / Night Watch

Animation:
    Алиса в стране чудес / Alice in Wonderland
    Тайна третьей планеты / The Secret of the Third Planet
    Приключения капитана Врунгеля / Adventures of captain Vrungel
    Остров Сокровищ / Treasure Island
    Бременские музыканты / Musicians of Bremen
    Маугли / Mowgli

I've seen The Battleship Potemkin. A bit hard to sit through, and like all silent films, the facial expressions, are a bit too expressive, and the close ups are too much. But I really like the stairway scene. Very dramatic and emotional.

Comment

Russian films bring back so many sweet childhood memories.

I was fairly young when I saw most of these films, but the ones that I do remember...

Служебный роман / Business romance (heartwarming)
      Ирония судьбы или С легким паром! / Irony of fate or with light steam! (hilarious and lovely)
      Операция Ы и другие приключения Шурика / Operation Y and Shurik's Other Adventures (couldn’t stop laughing)
      Кавказская пленница / Prisoner of the Caucasus, or Shurik's New Adventures (my absolute favorite)
      Бриллиантовая рука / The Diamond Arm (loved it)
      Двенадцать стульев / Twelve Chairs
      Д'Артаньян и три мушкетёра / D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers
      Человек-амфибия / Amphibian Man (I cried every time)
      Маугли / Mowgli

Beside the ones you posted, the following were a huge part of my childhood:
      Rusalka
      Vinny Poox
      Kot Lyapold
      Nu Pagadzi
      *and the little guy with the helicopter thingy on his back, hehe…don’t remember his name…that lived in the attic*

I’m sure there are countless others whose titles I’ve forgotten, but I’m pretty sure that I’ve been exposed to most of the titles you listed.

Russian cinema is something else. All the films I came across, I loved. Hollywood is sh!t.

Edit: I almost forgot. My favorite actors include Mironov, Nikulin, Vitsin, Demyanenko, and Leonov.
      Last edited by sSsflamesSs; 08-19-2004, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Movies I loved were mostly the comedies, such as:
        Gentelmeni Ydachi
        Kavakaskaya PLennitsa
        Operatsiya bI (Shoorik was a handsome nerd. lol.)
        Brillyantovaya Ryka
        Ivan Vasilyevisch menyaet profesiyu

I loved these.......
        Rusalka
        Vinny Poox
        Kot Lyapold
        Nu Pagadzi
        *and the little guy with the helicopter thingy on his back, hehe…don’t remember his name…that lived in the attic*
        ....including
        Moi Dadir
        Nu pagadi (the rabbit always got away )
        Chibarashka and Gena
        Pachtalyon Pechkin (Kto tam? Kto tam? )

I can't believe you don't have Brigada on your list. That moved kicked butt.
        I see...

Comment

Originally posted by SagGal
          Chibarashka and Gena
          Pachtalyon Pechkin (Kto tam? Kto tam? )
          How the heck did I miss those!?!?! Cheburashka i Krokadil Gena! Pochtalyon Pechkin!

Haha, what about Shapoklyak?

Comment

Originally posted by sSsflamesSs
            Haha, what about Shapoklyak?
            I know she was mean, but I LIKED her. The show wouldn't be the same with out her.

I can't remember how that song, that Cheburashka sang went. Something like, "Teper ya Cheburashka, & kazhdaya dvarnyashka...." That's when he didn't know his name. So cute.
            I see...

Comment

Originally posted by spiral
              I've seen The Battleship Potemkin. A bit hard to sit through, and like all silent films, the facial expressions, are a bit too expressive, and the close ups are too much. But I really like the stairway scene. Very dramatic and emotional.

I totally agree. I too liked the Odessa Steps Sequence which makes its appearance in a lot of modern films (remember Naked Gun?). Also, The Battleship Potemkin was filled with so much symbolism. i.e. when the men swarm like maggots (representing the maggots in the rotten meat they were forced to eat). Also, it was a film by Sergei Eisenstein who introduced the technique of actually moving the camera while you film. Props to Eisenstein!

WORKING MEN OF ALL COUNTRIES, UNITE!

Comment

Most of the Russian films I've seen have been historical. I don't know Russian, so I will list the films in English.

Chapaev (by Geory and Sergey Vasilyev)- this was about the intellectuals of the time and the use of violence

The End of St. Petersburg (by ?)

And my favorite:

Burnt by the Sun (by Nikita Mikhalkov)- this was about how Stalin terrorized all the people who helped him get to the top (state violence and mass terror). Also, the little girl that played in it (Mikhalkov's real daughter) was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by sSsflamesSs
                  I remember. His name was Carson and he liked jam (varenye or dzjem).
                  I see...

Comment

Originally posted by SagGal
                    I remember. His name was Carson and he liked jam (varenye or dzjem).
                    That sounds about right.

Comment

Working...
                    X