Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Seeking a job the fair way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking a job the fair way

Hey I just got a job offer and wanted to thank you for taking me there but because of the situation I am in right now I could not make it and thus why I am even more depressed like right about now. Why the hell did it take this long and it was the one application where both my friend and I did not lie. See, lying on the job apps didnt pay off I mean is it OK to lie about your salary on a job application, in a job interview--or ever? Either way, I kind of let this job pass me by.

Just seems like an increasing number of job seekers tell me that they've fudged the truth about how much money they made in their last job. And, according to them, they "did so for good reasons."Some increased their annual wages because they felt they were underpaid in their last job and wanted to move up a few pay grades. Others, mostly mature workers, decreased their earnings because they were afraid their past salary would eliminate them from consideration.

But does that justify lying?

I think in general in this unfair discriminatory market, lying is wrong but if you're hired and it comes to light later that you lied, your employer no longer will trust you and you very likely will be terminated (big word?).

You should know this too some consultants of resources should have told you that legally an employer can fire you for lying on your resume or job application.

I heard that those small errors in judgment from bosses have cost many people their jobs as well as their reputations and you don't have to lie: If you have all of the credentials and present yourself well, you have a good chance to get the job--and salary--you want right?

If they are really curious, my advice is to make the offer contingent on verification. And if the claim isn't true WHICH some of mine weren't the employer probably if he caught me, would advise not hiring me, based on ethical considerations and it is a risk.

If you have to take a step backward in salary, the compensation consultant says, "Tell the truth but explain why you're willing to take less. Most human resource folks know the reality of today's labor market." This is true becaue today, employers are looking at the character of potential employees as much as at skills. The real task is doing your homework, knowing your value and gathering as much salary information as possible so you can negotiate whatever it is you think you deserve.

And the only hope I personally think is a pragmatic (big word?) solution for how to avoid lying about your salary: Don't answer any questions about it at all until the job offer is made and the salary range is presented. And then, tell the truth what do you say to that and THAT only, no swaying off topic.
    When the World Wide Web was born, things were quite simple. The internet supported just one device (the PC) and the browsers available were too primitive for me.
Working...
X