Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

X-Mas Thread, money, materialism, etc, split.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Mas Thread, money, materialism, etc, split.

Originally posted by gaucho
    nice drawing and everything.
    but if you ask me, holidays have become nothing but a heaven for our sadly materialistic society.
    what is christmas nowadays? does anyone REALLY care about its historic events?
    if not for the mall, the way corporations MAKE you spend money and the way society pressures you to show what you've got...(gifts, how you look, how big is your tree, what company decorated your front lawn+facade)
    I mean what part of "Santa clause" has anything to do with Christ's birth.
    they call it "christmas".
    and it's not only Christmas. governments gotta somehow have the economy moving: In January it's "after christmas sales", in Feb it's Valentine's day, in March it's Easter, and mother's day and father's day and 4th of July and halloween...and on and on and on...just think about the common denominator in all these "holidays"... money!

P.S. I can almost smell the amount of storm of replies I'm gonna get. fact of the matter is, you christmas "lovers" have been SOLD to believe in the so called "christmas spirit", I'm just being me in my good old real world.
    you, or your family, moved to this country because this country functions, and this country functions because of money, and the money comes from us, its a smart, reasonable cycle, join it or leave.

Originally posted by Inna
    you, or your family, moved to this country because this country functions, and this country functions because of money, and the money comes from us, its a smart, reasonable cycle, join it or leave.
    different people do different things for different reasons.
    but I'm guessing that hasn't crossed your mind yet, since you make such baseless assumption on a public forum.
    the only reason I've moved here is because I couldn't have had the same educational opportunities back home.
    now after I feel that I've attained the education I've always wanted I'm definitely getting out. Hopefully Haiastan.
    I'm not crazy to raise any of my Armenian kids somewhere like this.
    you see, there's actually some armenians in California who CAN be happy without owning a house or the latest Benz.
    Actually Gauch, you just proved her point by saying "the only reason I've moved here is because I couldn't have had the same educational opportunities back home." Therefore, what she is saying is not a baseless assumption. I agree with Inna. 'This country functions': that's a pretty good generalization the encompasses not just the job market and money, but also it's higher education system. The higher education system you are so willfilly using to your advantage to 'attain the education you've always wanted'. A functioning country does not just mean it offers career and money-making and someday benz-owning opportunities as you pointed out.

ermmm, and also...

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

As Baron said, we celebrate and have a 'materialistic' time on New Years Eve. Christmas is for family dinner and church.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
      Actually Gauch, you just proved her point by saying "the only reason I've moved here is because I couldn't have had the same educational opportunities back home." Therefore, what she is saying is not a baseless assumption. I agree with Inna. 'This country functions': that's a pretty good generalization the encompasses not just the job market and money, but also it's higher education system. The higher education system you are so willfilly using to your advantage to 'attain the education you've always wanted'. A functioning country does not just mean it offers career and money-making and someday benz-owning opportunities as you pointed out.
      Thank you, that was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Comment

she said this country functions because of money.
        I don't understand how you tie that to my studying in the field of my choice.
        what I meant when I said educational opportunities is the fact that some governments, like the one I come from, don't let you choose your own major. your major in Syria and most arab countries is based on your high school senior year baccalaureate exam scores! and according to my scores, the only college I could've gone to was English Literature! and I wasn't interested...
        freedom of Choice is what I meant. I did not come here in search of the so called "American dream".
        If you really think that the school you go to is funded by happy thoughts instead of cold hard MONEY they really need to revoke your acceptance!
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

what you meant is exactly what you state in your "location"!!
          "on a hill"...???
          OMG like wow I don't know how to like start respecting you... your daddy is so rich!
          "on a hill...!!"
          now THAT my friends is unfortunately the reason Armenians from all over the world keep settling in Southern california. to buy houses on hills and show it to each other!
          oh wait. I gotta admit that they DO demonstrate with yerakouins hanging off of their $100,000 cars every April 24th.
          avrvadz joghovourt...
          hahhahahAHAHAHAHHAHAH, OMG! Boy, you really just jumped to the funniest comclusion. Wait till our friend Inna explains to you what she means is NOT a hill in California. LOL

Comment

like OMG OMG I"m crackin up ...
            like the reason people buy houses on top of hills anywhere else in the world is anything but to show it off...
            HER SCHOOL IS IN NORTH CAROLINA. But don't worry, I'm sure Inna made SURE her school was situated on a HILL JUST SO she could brag about it and seem rich.

See why I was laughing now??

Comment

as far as I'm concerned my portion of it is being funded by MOI (or so they say in french lol)
              it's called loans...and I have a feeling you know about those...
              and some scholarships... just cuz I work hard!
              and NEWSFLASH!!!
              if I'd chosen to stay backhome, I was gonna get a bachelor's in English without even spending a PENNY, which is the reason why you can't get in to the college of your choice...
              it's ALL government funded! which is why it sux!
              But your point is still null. You are here, in fact, AGAIN, because you CAN get private funding in the US and you CAN get loans in the US. MONEY MONEY MONEY. Your reasons for being here, in this functional society, can in fact be attributed, in however small a part, to the fact that this is a society in which even those without very much money can get places, via education and/or jobs, because of the MONEY that is available!!

Merry Christmas.

Comment

it's all good...
                my above statement about houses on top of hills applies to most middle-upper class Armenians in California...
                good job trying HARD to put me down Miss "moderator"... but I'm gellin!
                I wasn't trying HARD. It was easy. It was fun.

I live in Granada HILLS. Yeah my parents wanted me to be able to seem rich without trying very hard so they made sure the name of our city had the word HILL in it. Ok. I'll stop. Of course I know what you mean about name-dropping-luis vuitton-wearing- make sure everyone sees how much money is in my wallet-Armenians. They bug me too.

Happy New Year!

Comment

what you meant is exactly what you state in your "location"!!
                  "on a hill"...???
                  OMG like wow I don't know how to like start respecting you... your daddy is so rich!
                  "on a hill...!!"
                  now THAT my friends is unfortunately the reason Armenians from all over the world keep settling in Southern california. to buy houses on hills and show it to each other!
                  oh wait. I gotta admit that they DO demonstrate with yerakouins hanging off of their $100,000 cars every April 24th.
                  avrvadz joghovourt...
                  ummm...I dont live in California, I've never even been to California, I've lived in North Carolina for the past 12 years and I go to school in Chapel HILL. I'm not rich, but I dont have as big of a grudge against rich people as you do, you really should seek help for this, its not healthy. And if its the Armenians in California that you have a problem with than move for goodness sake! There is a solution to every problem.

Comment

I don't think she hates *rich people...she just can't stand selfish persons willing to show every bit of money they spend.
                    Maybe her anger is just towards some of those "nouveaux-riches" that HAVE TO show that they are wealthy by any means. I think, personnally, that it's a lack of respect but I don't see why rich people should be despised.... It's not about how much money they got, it's about the way they act.

Comment

Working...
                    X