Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What do you want to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patlajan
    You better add a decimal point to those 6 figures. There's no shortage of people with experience and a degree in IT out there.
    perhaps it is an issue of specialization (very well could be) - and there are some other factors to consider (for instance - in addition to my contract these guys do network security for the SEC...so its pretty serious stuff - and folks have to be very trustworthy & capable - etc - not just average grads off the street - but very high end...)...anyway - this is what they tell me (maybe they are just trying to soften me up for rate increases...don't know...)

Comment

As a child I wanted to go into animation. My goal was to work for Disney. I was into anime as well; was in special art classes and all that crap I even made my own little cartoon at 12, right before I quit...

At 13 I had a revelation. I decided that it was my destiny to study law. I wanted to be a criminal prosecutor, and rid society of unsafe people.

I have grown away from that in this past year though... If I do law now it will be real estate or something of the sort.

I will be declaring my major next September. I have pretty much decided on Armenian Studies (which includes language) and Russian Language and Literature. I am also thinking about a couple of other majors and wondering how to continue my French.

I think I would like to work for the United Nations for a while, maybe even specialize in Armenia. I have looked into it, and it seems like a good way to work while starting a family. Plus it seems to fit my experience and knowledge really well.

Eventually I would like to go for MA and PhD, so that I can be a professor. I would love to follow in 3 of my relatives foot steps and teach. I think this would be most fulfilling for me.

Comment

I am a student of Working Economy and Industrial Relations at the university... But I don't want to be economist or a manager.. I love music so much and I want singing rock songs with a band.. But It's only a dream

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
          perhaps it is an issue of specialization (very well could be) - and there are some other factors to consider (for instance - in addition to my contract these guys do network security for the SEC...so its pretty serious stuff - and folks have to be very trustworthy & capable - etc - not just average grads off the street - but very high end...)...anyway - this is what they tell me (maybe they are just trying to soften me up for rate increases...don't know...)
          You aren't off the mark. Graduates of elite schools will often get much higher paying jobs out of college than the average graduate, especially if they graduated near the top of their class. I actually know of someone that graduated from Cal Tech and was offered $130K per year to do exactly the work you described. He actually passed up the offer to go to grad school! The thing is, cases like this are outliers and have little effect on national average, which is much lower. The only thing that will virtually guarantee you a six-figure salary entry-level is a medical license, but of course it takes at least three years of internship after obtaining an MD to get it.

Comment

Yeah louseyourname - that must be it. I sure was shocked when they told me this (I think they were too - having to pay that kind of change just to compete)...just the idea of it - some kid out of school perhaps making more money then me!!! lol - yeah...I've certainly had folks working for me that make more money then I do (hey - when you want the best - you pay...etc)...but I'm not alone there...I mean does Steinbrenner really make more then Alex Rodriguez? (what like $23 mil/year)...don't know...

...anyway - I do wish everyone luck in their planned/expected and eventual endevors...and I must say Armobarbi you sure have jumped around a bit (already)...I'm always one who gives out lots of advice (proof that I am Armenian if folks are in doubt...)...but I can't think of anything particularly special to say at the moment but to ahem...cough cough...agree with the mouse on this one - try to pursue/do things that you enjoy...the money will come...and there can be no substitute (not even money) for doing work that you love and that gives meaning to you. This is why I really applaud that QB from USC (whatever his name is [Luadermilk? I could be totally wrong on the name...] - I don't follow college football so much...) - staying in school and going for another title - etc...so many young atheletes just jump at the money...and they miss perhaps (what could be) the most special time of their lives - and its something that they can never get back (not to mention they get life experience, a chance to grow up a bit, and maybe even a degree to fall back on etc etc). Not sure if any appreciates this. yeah I'm an old fart (but...perhaps young at heart...and of mind...and of body? lol - later certainly debateable)...so yeah my perspective is probably much different that a lot of you here...while most of you are in school and just beginning to contemplate your eventual careers - your adult life - etc - I'm nearing the other end of the spectrum - or at least moving toward a totally new phase...retirement! Yeah - hard to believe - but it is so. I'm really not that old...43 (OK yeah I'm sure it sounds really old...to some of you kids!!..lol)...but its not so old and far off as you might think...the years go quick (and I really don't feel all that removed from my 20s for instance...Ok - I admit - I'm probably different then most my age...I haven't at all forgotten my youth...and how I thought of things then...and in fact still think in many ways - which is different then many my age...ramble ramble...sorry...yeah why I still drive fast cars [fast!] - and hop them up/trick them out etc...maybe eh? I love it!)...and though all phases of life certainly have much to offer - and I'm digging my kids - very much - and my life with my wife - and thinking ahead and planning for retirement together...well - there is really no more special & (if you approach it right) all out fun time as when you are in your late teens/early-mid 20s...its your time - live it! cheers....

Comment

I was finding myself.

I think that its great to have a plan, but I enjoy exploring the possibilities ahead of me while I have the time. Shouldnt we stay open minded about our excitingly unpredictable futures in any case? I also planned to major in psych when I first began college.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
                I was finding myself.

I think that its great to have a plan, but I enjoy exploring the possibilities ahead of me while I have the time. Shouldnt we stay open minded about our excitingly unpredictable futures in any case? I also planned to major in psych when I first began college.
                Yes exactly - I agree. I'm sorry if I sounded critical - I was laughing about it a bit - thats all - but its a good thing - don't get stuck in a rut just because you had some preconcieved notion...as we go through life we grow and we change - what once made sense may not anymore...the important thing is to always think and always feel - and be honest with yourself - don't make excuses (to please others or because of family or peer presure etc) - do whats right for you - even if other's say your crazy etc...join that poker torunament - you just may win! And you'l never know unless you try...Don't sell yourself short....(oh sorry that was Omnicent with the poker... )...but I think you already understand...

Comment

Originally posted by Sally
                  I am a student of Working Economy and Industrial Relations at the university... But I don't want to be economist or a manager.. I love music so much and I want singing rock songs with a band.. But It's only a dream
                  well - keep singing and you never know...(though I wouldn't give up school just yet either!)

Comment

I'm very lucky to have done many different things in my life (work wine...and I guess otherwise eh) that I ussually found enjoyable (one thing to keep in mind though - the best work can be ruined if your coworkers/boss etc are a holes or otherwise difficult/unfun...etc - and even nasty/boring/uninteresting work or what have you canbe made bareble and decent with good people around you...really makes more difference then you might imagine/account for...but how controllable is it...being able to choose who you work for/with...depends...maybe-maybe not...

One thing that I am most thankful for (besides having worked for and with some great folks [no that there haven't been the opposite...like one boss who called humos "pig food" etc and who used to quiz me about what Quaddafi might be thinking - because we Arabs all think alike - etc] - well I've been able to turn two hobbies of mine - the study of history (war in specific) and even more specifically - wargamming and video production - into basically a career...so yeah - I really love my work - I get excited about going to work, producing stuff and keeping busy...I can think about my work and get excited - etc - and thats really a special thing...and not true for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X