Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

My eldest's b'day party is tonight - Lord of the Rings related...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My eldest's b'day party is tonight - Lord of the Rings related...

And I'm again on the spot for the entertainment (no I haven't procured any strippers or such...thats in a few I imagine... ). Actually what we've done for the last four years is we've done a Lord of the Rings minatures re-enactment. Well i think its cool - its one of my things - and my kids just love it - and their friends do as well (one managed to get out of a boy scout weekend camping event - where his dad is scoutmaster and is still leading the event - just to come to this party!) yeah. (but I always throw a good party - regardless...and in fact ussually we throw a parrallel party for the parents who are interested in sticking around with wine and cheese and music and such...of course most parents just want to dump their kids and run - but we always get a few to stick around...)

Anyway- yeah I'm an old dungeons and dragons player - if your familiar with such (actually one of the first - having actually played in [the inventor of D&D] Gary Gygax's dungeon once [1977]...etc) - and I've collected and painted fantasy/swords and sorcery minatures since I was a teenager - and have thousands and thousands...so yeah - we are re-enacting the battle of Amon Hen - where Boromir was killed and Merry and Pippen captured. The kids will each play a Fellowship member - my eldest will be Frodo - who has to escape - avoiding capture from either side. Actually the victory conditions for each (of 3...and even more - 4..) sides are quite complex. The rest of the fellowship needs to prevent Frodo's capture (of course) and also prevent other Hobbits from being captured...and Aragorn must live! The Urik Hai will be dived among two players (one for Sarauman's Uruks and the other for Sauron's orcs [following the books mor ethen the movies here...] - and will be played by my youngest son and a friend of his (thus orc intelligence levels will be matched as well - cunning perhaps but not too worldly! ) etc. So each faction has a stake in getting the ring and the most hobbits and of course klilling fellowship members. Boromir also has a seperate victory condition of capturing the ring himself - etc. Yeah it should be great fun - then we'll watch the segment on my big screen super suround sound setup (fideltiy to challenge any Imax! yeah).

Last year we did a huge re-enactment of the Battle of Pelenor field complete with a Minas Tirith setup I built. My sons and (mostly) me painted hundreds of minatures - I literally started painting mid November and painted an average 3 nights per week - occasionally all night - I would just shower and head off to work the next morning...) lol - to be ready by this time last year. I also have to lay everything out and work out the rules and other details - lots of work...I have a bunch of pics too if anyone is interested...and then the year before - of course - we did the Battle of Helms Deep, and prior to that we did the Fellowship descent through Moria where i built a rather elaborate model with some kits I have and it really turned out well - with Gandalf and the Balrog both falling at the bridge just as in the books and movie (pretty amazing really). Helms Deep turned out a bit different as Aragorn died! - shame

Not sure if anyone can relate to the above - but its on my mind right now - as I'm "on" in a few hours! It should be fun. I also have a bunch of other Lord of the Rings paraphenelia - including life sized cut-outs of all the major characters (from the movies) that I take out and set up around the house every year.

awwww wino, you're such a good dad!!!
    I'm not a fan of lord of the rings, I went to see the first one but it was so boring that we ended up leaving halfway through the movie!
    Anyway, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
      awwww wino, you're such a good dad!!!
      I'm not a fan of lord of the rings, I went to see the first one but it was so boring that we ended up leaving halfway through the movie!
      Anyway, good luck
      That I am - and thanks...we had a great time (they just all left..and now I must ready myself to take my youngest to his baseball practice!)

Yeah was up to about 1:30 am with the boys last night (I was certainly dragging...of course 1 bottle of Ch St MIchele Cold Creek Cb Sav & 2 Guiness drafts later...well...) - but yup - we completed the battle - only this morning...interspersed with 4 position X-box Halo shoot-em-outs on the big screen!

So - for those Lord of the Rings fans or any who might be interested in the outcome - well - Boromir was killed (as in the book/movie), Merry and Pippen were captured and taken away by the Uruks (as in the book/movie), Lurtz was (finally) killed (as in the book/movie), and Frodo made it away in the boat (as in the book/movie), though barely. The differences were that Gimili got killed - right at the end - after fighting valiantly, and Sam was captured by the Uruks, though freed before they escaped with him - however he was not able to make it to the boats to escape with Frodo (he probably could have - but the person playing him got cavalier with him). Anyway great fun!

Comment

Lord of the Rings movies done right!

Didn't know where to put this so I put it here -

For many months now I have been planning a showing of all 3 (extended versions) of the Lord of the Rings Moives back to back to back as it were...and I'm finally going to this upcomming weekend. Yeah - its going to be great fun. Myself - alnong with a number of other fanatics that I've invited are going to sit (and drink beer) through the entire extended version of the triology. Its going to be f'in awesome! My wife is looking for activities to keep her away from the house all day! Whats cool is that this will be for my birthday (right around then)...and I can't wait. I love the stories - have read them so many times its not funny - and of course saw each movie twice in the theater - managed to get advanced copies of some of the DVDs within a month of the theater showing (yeah - same version that they use for the Academy Awards!) and of course I have all of the extended versions! So bring it on! And this will be some showing. My system is kick butt. I have a large screen Mitsubishi rear projector, a Denon surround souond amp with 150 or so Watts per channel driving some very efficient and accurate (top of the line) Axiom speakers - 2 tower fronts, a most awesome center channel, very tight/accurate powered (axiom) subwoofer (that rocks the house!) - and the axiom surrounds (QS-8s - di-polars...) are incredible. Literally the (sound) system blows away any theater I've ever been in - including Imax (at least from the listner perspective - not the totality of the system of course) - so folks will be in for a real treat. A few weeks ago (at my son's b'day party) I demoed part of the Fellowship to his friends, a friend of mine and some of the parents - and they were all quite blown away. My friend commented that he was hearing voice inflections, background sounds and such that he never knew were there - and everythig really - quite enhanced. They really did a masterful job with the sound on the movies....anyway - yeah I'm stoked!

Comment

Working...
        X