Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Oh no! - Wine has just been declared a bioterrorism hazard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no! - Wine has just been declared a bioterrorism hazard!

Just what are we comming too? - this has actually been affecting me as rules are now being enforced as of April 4...I have a great deal of wine shipped to me from all over (and much of it grey market from Europe) and a few places are refusing to ship to me now (forcing me into work arounds of course! - I have a number of mags of Ch Beuacastel hung up right at this moment - were supposed to arrive last week! ) - bioterror my ass! Its the only thing thats keeping me from blowing stuff up - I'm too happy drinking my fine wine!

Bioterror rules could raise import wine prices
    Carol Emert

Thursday, September 2, 2004

August 12 was supposed to be the official start date for enforcement of an anti-bioterrism law that has already hung up some fine wine imports and has the potential to disrupt many more.

Enforcement of the rule, which is hampering the shipment of Burgundys and Champagnes in particular, was postponed until Nov. 1 as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration weighs how to protect the food supply without disrupting the wine trade.

"If this problem isn't fixed, I think over time you'll see substantially higher prices for foreign wines (because of) the more limited supply here," says Stuart Pape, a legal adviser to the California Fine Wine Alliance, a group of importers.

Champagne may seem an unlikely threat to our national security -- regardless of one's feelings about the French.

Under the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002, the FDA and U.S. Customs Service are required to track every commercial shipment of food and beverage that enters the United States so they can track the perpetrator in the event of a biological contamination.

Each foreign food producer is assigned a registration number that must be included in the "prior notice" documents that accompany all shipments. For importers who work closely with manufacturers, that's not a problem.

But wine is less straightforward. Both old collectible wines and current releases are bought and sold on the "parallel" or "gray" market, which helps keep prices down by making more wine available. An estimated $200 million to $300 million in parallel-market wines enter the United States each year, including current releases of popular brands such as Billecart-Salmon Champagne and Louis Jadot Burgundy. When U.S. demand exceeds the supply from official importers, the parallel market kicks in. Parallel marketers buy wine originally designated for a different country and sell it to importers in the United States.

A U.S. importer or retailer may acquire gray goods from a broker in Europe, from a private collector or at auction. But parallel marketeers are having difficulty getting producer registration numbers from virtually every region, including Italy and Australia. Burgundy and Champagne are particularly tough. Many wineries there have close financial and personal ties to an official importer and don't want to help rivals on the parallel market.

A chilling effect

K&L Wine Merchants, with stores in San Francisco and Redwood City, has passed up 15 to 20 shipments of Burgundy this year because of uncertainty over the federal rules, says K&L Burgundy buyer Keith Wollenberg.

A Swiss broker recently offered Wollenberg 10 cases -- an unusually generous amount -- of Burgundy from a winery that enjoys a loyal following among K&L customers. But the broker couldn't get the winery's registration number, so Wollenberg canceled the order.

"There are customers who ask for that Burgundy and I don't have it," he says, declining to name the winery. The lot ranged in price from $25 to $150 per bottle retail and included the well-regarded 2002 vintage, says Wollenberg.

"The Burgundy market is very vintage driven," he says. "When a vintage gets good press, a lot of people are looking for the wine" and trading on the parallel market heats up. But it's increasingly difficult to get the wine across the border.

K&L has taken a conservative approach by refusing to import any goods that lack a producer registration number, even though the FDA has not been enforcing that requirement.

Others have been importing wine while attempting to comply with the FDA guidelines, but have canceled orders or rushed shipments because of the ever- shifting rules.

In its "interim final rule" last December, the FDA established a four- stage phase-in that was supposed to end Aug. 12 with full enforcement. But the requirements for each stage were unclear and several deadlines got pushed back, so importers never knew what they could bring in legally.

Mannie Berk, president of the Sonoma-based importer Rare Wine Co. and an activist in the Fine Wine Alliance, rushed many shipments air-freight to beat the deadlines, and in other cases canceled orders. "My position was to do my best to comply with the law, but it's been a real burden for us over the last nine or 10 months," he says.

The import slowdown forced Merrick Dowson, president of Daly City importer Adventures in Wine, to eliminate two positions since December, bringing his staff to 10, he says. Twenty percent of his business will evaporate if the FDA begins strictly enforcing the producer registration requirement, as it is supposed to do Nov. 1, he says.

Importers have been actively lobbying the FDA for an exemption, and the FDA is weighing possible accommodations. Family Winemakers of America, whose membership is comprised of U.S. wineries, has submitted comments supporting the importers.

At a meeting at FDA headquarters in June, Berk and others asked that importers be allowed to use the producer's name and address, as well as the registration number of the foreign broker, in lieu of the producer number.

Alternatively, they offered to provide advance notice of fine-wine shipments of at least five days, rather than the few hours required of other products. They also offered to submit to extra scrutiny at the border.

Labels already on file

The importers made the case that wine, unlike most comestibles, is already subject to rigorous governmental controls. The U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) must approve every label of every wine sold in the United States and TTB keeps images of the labels on file. Since the winery and importer are listed on the label, importers say an adequate paper trail already exists for tracking suspicious shipments.

Further, they argue that requiring an impossible-to-get registration number will both stymie legitimate competition and encourage black market activity that evades regulation altogether.

"That's a bizarre outcome under a law designed to increase the safety of the U.S. food supply," says Pape, managing partner of Patton Boggs in Washington, D.C.

Regulators appear to be sympathetic to the importers' arguments, but haven't decided what steps to take, if any.

"We have to look across the entire spectrum and make sure we're being consistent and equitable" among all commodities, says Leslye Fraser, an associate director at the FDA who ran the June meeting.

One potential problem is that all wines, not just fine wines, have labels on file with the TTB. So if the FDA allows fine wine shipments to cross the border with incomplete paperwork, importers of supermarket brands may request the same leniency.

"We're looking at whether there are things we could and should do with respect to wine, but we have not made any decisions yet," says Fraser. Guidance on the matter will be issued before Nov. 1, she says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's some good news for consumers. In its December ruling, the FDA required consumers to fill out complicated paperwork via computer if they wanted to mail themselves wine from abroad. Under the initial rule, if you bought wine while on vacation in Tuscany or Marlborough and wanted to ship it home, you would have had to find a computer and fill out extensive forms, including the producer registration number.
    After receiving public comments on the matter, the FDA reversed itself and is now allowing consumers to mail themselves wine. Friends and relatives abroad may also send wine to the United States with no documentation as long as it will not be resold.

There is no maximum amount allowed in, says FDA associate director Fraser. "Generally if you're doing something that looks reasonable, even if you're having a nice big party like a wedding," no paperwork is necessary, she says.

wow so all you do is buy wine from around the world and drink it?

Comment

Originally posted by Thai-Samurai
      wow so all you do is buy wine from around the world and drink it?
      Its not all I do - its not my job (not yet - I do have an offer to join a rather exclusive restaurant as a partner where I would be Somilier and the wine buyer...I'm seriously considering it - but not just yet - I'm busy doing other important things at the moment...though just found out today (yup!) that I am eligible for an early retirement buy out! yeah! - Don't think I'll take it quite yet - but I qualify by 1 month of service! ) - imagine that - "retired" and I just turned 44! - I rather like the thought of it...but I think I'll carry on with what I do a while longer - and I have a great number of side things I'm doing and will be able to do once I retire...so yeah - the wine - just a hobby interest really - though one I'll likely turn "pro" with in one sense or another...- but I do just love my wine and drink it nearly every night. My cellar blows away that held by even most fine restaurants (though not the very best of course - I don't have any 1949 Lafite or such for instance - shame that...or any Petrus or Dom Romanie- Conte...not quite of those means...) but I do spend much time buying futures and speculating with wine (though not a big auction guy...) - you would be surprised. And tonight I drank a wonderful 99 Cote Rotie (with a neighbor...wife is out of town...) - superb vintage really and drinking great - tommorow night I plan to open a 98 La Tour Haut Brion - from Pessac in Bordeaux (wonderful little appelation) - a Wine Spectator 100 point wine! - well I'm having guests over...and this last weekend - among about 6-8 bottles I poppped for various get togethers we drank a superb 95 Lynch Bages - yum yum...and plenty of other very good - but perhaps less heralded wines from all over the world. Great stuff wine is - extremely pleasurable to drink - particularly with the right food combinations and fun to buy, collect, talk about etc - you really meet some very interesting (and often quite well to do...) people in the wine hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
        Its not all I do - its not my job (not yet - I do have an offer to join a rather exclusive restaurant as a partner where I would be Somilier and the wine buyer...I'm seriously considering it - but not just yet - I'm busy doing other important things at the moment...though just found out today (yup!) that I am eligible for an early retirement buy out! yeah! - Don't think I'll take it quite yet - but I qualify by 1 month of service! ) - imagine that - "retired" and I just turned 44! - I rather like the thought of it...but I think I'll carry on with what I do a while longer - and I have a great number of side things I'm doing and will be able to do once I retire...so yeah - the wine - just a hobby interest really - though one I'll likely turn "pro" with in one sense or another...- but I do just love my wine and drink it nearly every night. My cellar blows away that held by even most fine restaurants (though not the very best of course - I don't have any 1949 Lafite or such for instance - shame that...or any Petrus or Dom Romanie- Conte...not quite of those means...) but I do spend much time buying futures and speculating with wine (though not a big auction guy...) - you would be surprised. And tonight I drank a wonderful 99 Cote Rotie (with a neighbor...wife is out of town...) - superb vintage really and drinking great - tommorow night I plan to open a 98 La Tour Haut Brion - from Pessac in Bordeaux (wonderful little appelation) - a Wine Spectator 100 point wine! - well I'm having guests over...and this last weekend - among about 6-8 bottles I poppped for various get togethers we drank a superb 95 Lynch Bages - yum yum...and plenty of other very good - but perhaps less heralded wines from all over the world. Great stuff wine is - extremely pleasurable to drink - particularly with the right food combinations and fun to buy, collect, talk about etc - you really meet some very interesting (and often quite well to do...) people in the wine hobby.
        ok I think you're crazy again. But congrats on being an actual wine conaswiour, not something I would personally ever bother getting good at. I drink beer, whenever I drink.

Comment

ok I think you're crazy again. But congrats on being an actual wine conaswiour, not something I would personally ever bother getting good at. I drink beer, whenever I drink.
          Oh I drink beer too - but not swill beer - good US microbrews or trappist Belgian Ales, or nice German or Austrian lagers, dinkleweisse or pilsners...

My favorite beers are Dogfishhead 60 min IPA, Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, Victory Hop Devil and other much more local (non-bottled) stuff that folks (brewers) I know make - I particularly fond of very hoppy IPA type of ales - but love most all types...a fine Beer can be just as pleasurable as the finest wine (OK well nearly so...certainly less expensive!)...did I tell you that I'm a coffee freak as well!

Comment

Another thing you might find amusing is that I have a suitcase that is made to hold 1 case (12 bottles) of wine that I pretty much take with me wherever I go. I even took a case of very nice wine to Turkey the last time I went and hauled it around with us in the trunk of our little renault all over Eastern Anatolia! (and we drank fine wine and/or vintage port nearly every night!)

Comment

I bet you can't go a night w/out drinking. At least you do it in style.

Comment

I bet you can't go a night w/out drinking. At least you do it in style.
                Sure I can and do - no problem really. Sometimes i might go a whole week without a drink - no big deal - but yes i ussually do like to have a glass of wine or two or several most nights and if I'm out workign in the yard or messing with my cars I like to do so with a good beer in hand. I also have a neighbor who is a huge beer guy and he grows his own hops and brews and such - and we are always turning each other on to different beers - whcih is fun. In fact - just put the kids to bed - i may pay him a visit and slurp down a cold one or several!

Comment

man i want beer tonight.

Comment

mmm - just had one - Red hook IPA - a nice mellow drink...and some good conversation...

Comment

Working...
                    X