Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

On 'friends'...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On 'friends'...

We are not defined by the things we allow ourselves to be defined by. There's a thought. Do you ever wonder if you'll find someone, or someone's, not a lover, or lovers, but a friend, friends who will be able to define who you are, and not what you allow yourself to be defined by and who you will be able to define in turn? I wonder about that. I don't have anyone like that. Is that strange? To have an easier time finding someone to love than someone to be real friends with? How's that for strange? Maybe friends are just supposed to be for drinking and hanging out and shooting the sh!t with a few times a week and not such a big deal I think they should be? Maybe.
    Last edited by ckBejug; 08-22-2005, 04:09 PM.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Originally posted by ckBejug
    We are not defined by the things we allow ourselves to be defined by. There's a thought. Do you ever wonder if you'll find someone, or someone's, not a lover, or lovers, but a friend, friends who will be able to define who you are, and not what you allow yourself to be defined by and who you will be able to define in turn? I wonder about that. I don't have anyone like that. Is that strange? To have an easier time finding someone to love than someone to be real friends with? How's that for strange? Maybe friends are just supposed to be for drining and hanving out and shooting the sh!t a few times a week and not such a big deal I think they should be? Maybe.
    I don't want to be defined by friends. I want my actions and behaviour to define myself to others. Friends can also indirectly define myself to others, because they reflect my priorities and preferrences in relationships and other humans. But, what if I'm sucked into a temporary relationship with a negative, mean-spirited person. It could happen and I wouldn't want others to make final judgments of me through my friends.

As far as friends influencing me and my character, that's also scary. It happens whether you like it or not, which is why it is important to choose relationships with people who influence you positively.

Comment

lol Bejug, you erased your own post. There's the top benefit of being a mod. You can remove your own posts you don't like to be kept on the record.

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
        lol Bejug, you erased your own post. There's the top benefit of being a mod. You can remove your own posts you don't like to be kept on the record.
        Anyone can remove their own posts.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
          Anyone can remove their own posts.
          lol I'm a newb.

Comment

I didn't delete anything, i just edited it to shorten it and it went on the previous page instead of this one.
            The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
              I don't want to be defined by friends. I want my actions and behaviour to define myself to others. Friends can also indirectly define myself to others, because they reflect my priorities and preferrences in relationships and other humans. But, what if I'm sucked into a temporary relationship with a negative, mean-spirited person. It could happen and I wouldn't want others to make final judgments of me through my friends.

As far as friends influencing me and my character, that's also scary. It happens whether you like it or not, which is why it is important to choose relationships with people who influence you positively.
              That's not exactly what I mean. Whether I worded it right or not, what I meant was, you can put up an 'everything is great' front and people will buy it. I guess I assume a real friend would be someone who wouldn't buy it and would actualy know you well enough to see through the facade.

Furthermore, I meant that I don't have a friendship like that, though I would love to have one. It's not for lack of trying, believe me. It's just that some people go through 'friends' as need be, for their own purposes. Oh yeah, you're my friend, as long as I need you. When all s well and I don't need a helping hand, then I don't need your friendship. It seems like this is the type of people I come across, and considering the fact that I tend to go out of my way to be helpful to others, it ends up biting me in the ass. I've yet to have a mutually beneficial friendship in which we both know eachother so well, can define to eachother who/what we really are, and can see through all the b.s. in the good times AND when the going gets rough.

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
                That's not exactly what I mean. Whether I worded it right or not, what I meant was, you can put up an 'everything is great' front and people will buy it. I guess I assume a real friend would be someone who wouldn't buy it and would actualy know you well enough to see through the facade.

Furthermore, I meant that I don't have a friendship like that, though I would love to have one. It's not for lack of trying, believe me. It's just that some people go through 'friends' as need be, for their own purposes. Oh yeah, you're my friend, as long as I need you. When all s well and I don't need a helping hand, then I don't need your friendship. It seems like this is the type of people I come across, and considering the fact that I tend to go out of my way to be helpful to others, it ends up biting me in the ass. I've yet to have a mutually beneficial friendship in which we both know eachother so well, can define to eachother who/what we really are, and can see through all the b.s. in the good times AND when the going gets rough.
                The kind of friendship you're talking about comes one in a million. The reason is those kinds of friendships are scary and people are by-and-large emotional cowards. You're not obviously one, as you want that kind of friendship even it means the free flow of brutal honesty between true friends. Heck, even family members can't be that honest and close to each other sometimes. It's exactly why after 10 years marriages fall apart. On the 10th year, that space that people guard with their lives was breached and they couldn't handle it. I think that besides being very rare, those kinds of friendships take entire lives to develope, just like very often the truest love will form only on the diamond anniversary and no sooner.

Comment

Working...
                X