Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ankap - Angry at the Mayans for a false prediction? POST YOUR GRIEVANCES HERE!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ankap - Goal: 10,000 posts by New Year's Eve! Yes, we can!

All that's left is me.

Comment

kezi g'@sbasenk gor

Yeraz, what were you saying about SOV? hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
        kezi g'@sbasenk gor

Yeraz, what were you saying about SOV? hahaha.

Comment

kezi (O) g'@sbasenk (V)(S) gor. (V tense particle)

Armenian is a highly inflected language and does not require the Subject to appear in first position as it would in SOV.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
            kezi (O) g'@sbasenk (V)(S) gor. (V tense particle)

Armenian is a highly inflected language and does not require the Subject to appear in first position as it would in SOV.
            "kezi g'sbasenk gor" is SOV if you expand the sentence from this abbreviated, though. The sentence really implies:

Menk kezi g'sbasenk gor.

Menk (we) is the subject
            kezi (to you) is the object
            g'sbasenk gor (waiting) is the verb.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm interested in why you consider the verb the subject as well. I didn't know it could be both.

I think you are correct in saying that Armenian is much more liberal with its sentence structure than say English. The sentence above could also be rendered as "menk g'sbasenk kezi" and people would understand you.

Buuuut, don't take it from me I'm not a native speaker of Armenian and could be totally wrong. You probably know better than me.

Comment

exactly, you could say g'sbasenk gor kezi and that would ruin the SOV rule too, I was saving that example for later :P

You're right to try expanding the sentence in my original example to include "menk", but a common feature of inflected languages is to not require this mention of subject in first position. This free order system of words is also present in Latin for example. Old English used to be highly inflected too apparently, so was French, but now they tend to follow more analytical structures, forcing the subject to appear in front of the verb and using tense markers on verbs (such as the "s" in "He says" as opposed to "He say") that only seek to make agreement with an unbound subject particle (like I, You, etc...), even in imperatives (where the surface representation of the subject is hiding).

Uh oh... Ankap is becoming overly intellectual, say something random.... like, jgk3 shur noz his stuf, LOLz

Comment

That's what's great if you're trying to learn Armenian: if you think you've put the words in the wrong order, it's probably right anyway.

Comment

yep, definitely. I used to feel confused about that when I went to public school, learning the contrary for English and French. I think learning the grammars in school of the latter two made me less confident about my Armenian speech once I was removed from an AGBU school, I eventually started mixing french structures in there by accident and I would think later "what, what am I doing? Now I don't know which sounds right!" and I'd become less intelligible for a time when talking to Armenians. Now I'm turning all this around, like Putin is turning Russia around from the 90s :P

Comment

I find the more I talk to Armenians, the better I become at it next time, especially if they speak my dialect. I go to church throughout the week for various things and a lot of the people there are immigrants when there used to be almost none so I have lots of opportunities to engage people in Armenian. I don't even focus on trying to remember sentence structure or whatever I just say whatever I think sounds right at this point.

Comment

It's funny how formal language training is so inefficient at teaching languages. I took 6 years of Spanish starting in middle school and I can barely say "hola", even though I always got A's. If schools really wanted you to learn the language they would give you the basics, give you certain vocabulary each week, and for the rest of the class just have conversation in the target language.
                      Last edited by yerazhishda; 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X