Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I want to drive out to Florida!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to drive out to Florida!

Okay, I've always wanted to take a road trip. I have two friends (brothers) who live in Pensacola, FL. That's approx. 2,000 miles from Los Angeles. I don't have the time, with work and school, to go - but it's fun to plan it out and see how it'd be. You never know, I might free up and do it. I'm serious about this, by the way.

So, according to my horrible calculations, which you guys may correct me on - if I'm traveling 2,000 miles, gas would probably cost $300, to get there. This is how I got that number, gas is $3 a gallon, and gets me about 20 miles per gallon. Right? Anyway, $600 for gas, roundtrip. These are estimates.

For a car rental, I did some research. Well, not really. I found CheapTickets.com giving rentals for about $110 a week, unlimited miles. So, let's say $150 a week, $300 for 2 weeks.

For a hotel, let's say $250 a night. $3,500 for 14 nights.

And I'd say about $1,500 for pocket money. Depends on the person, but that's the money to eat and survive.

So, total is about $5,900. This will be divided by at least two people, since I won't go alone. At least one friend will come along. So, that's not that bad, right? You get to see all the states you pass through. What I can also do is drop-off the car in FL, and take a plane back. I won't want to drive all the way back, and even though I'll save the gas, I'll be paying for the ticket - but that's fine, because the drive back would suck.

So, how off am I? And who's coming?

Re: I want to drive out to Florida!

Good idea...

But hell with hotel...what kind of friends are they if they are not willing to share a room or give a place to stay in their house? if they are cold blooded friends, you can say i will give you $30 for each night stay...haha...much cheaper then your hotel

And i think $250 for a night for a hotel is a ripoff...unless you poo money

Comment

Yeah, that was a real rough estimate.

But, my friends are 21 and 18. They still live with their families. One of them is living in their garage, he turned that into his room. They don't really have any space for me to stay, or a friend too for that matter. We haven't even talked this out, so who knows, they might say it. But I still wouldn't want to.

Comment

You'll basically be driving the I-10 the entire way. Most of it in Arizona and Texas. I think it's going to be one hell of a boring drive. Louisiana is ok since you could swing around by New Orleans which is pretty cool (not sure after the disaster but still, the French Quarter should be in good shape).

I don't know about Alabama but I'd be skeeered to drive through there. On the bright side, if you do break down or get stopped by cops, you might have a good story to rap about later Although since you'll be on a major highway and fairly close to the coast (and big cities), I doubt there will be much trouble. Just don't go exploring around that state unless you know exactly where you are going. Hehe

I think a road trip is an excellent idea but to go to Florida, I would say just get the air tickets as they will probably be worth it.

Now road trips north towards northern california, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Dakotas etc is a very different story. I'd say definitely go for those!

I've done the 2000 mile drive back and froth from Cali to Wisconsin a number of times in the past few years and I really enjoy it. Although from california, basically the fun is the 1000 miles up to denver. Between denver and wi, there's nothing but about 1000 miles of corn fields ... boring as heaven. West of Denver is awesome through Utah.

Now about $250 a night hotel, all I can say is YYYYYIKES! On the road, I normally stop at $35 motel 6's. They are great. In big cities, I would rarely pay anything over $100 a night, unless it was covered by my employer or something . On rare occasions when going to a conference or something that is at a specific hotel, or places where hotels are just really expensive (like Washington DC), I might have no choice but go for an over $200 a night hotel.
        Last edited by Sip; 12-21-2006, 12:51 PM.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Oh and as far as long distance driving, I'd say my comfort level is at around 700 miles a day. Any more and I'm usually not very comfortable or in danger of being drousy. I did the 2000 mile LA->WI trip in 2 days this last time (1000 miles a day) but I definitely don't recommend that. The second day was not fun at all but I had to be back.
          Last edited by Sip; 12-21-2006, 12:52 PM.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Yeah, but I think I'd have fun driving there. I-10 is the way I want to go, straight from here to there. Stop whenever we're tired, see what's going on. I'd want to stop by Mobile, AL, too. But was I right on the gas aspect of it all?

Comment

OneWay what if you go with 2 other people. Yes but I agree with you that it's worth i going with friends because like you said you can stop wherever you would like & rest & so on... but this is just my opinion (it would be better if you can take another friend).
              Gatorade... the Thirst Quencher!

Comment

1-way: The gas aspect will entirely depend on the car and your driving style. In my jeep, I average about 13-14MPG doing 80MPH while I average 16-17MPG doing 50-60MPH. Also if you floor it a lot and pass people then again your gas bill will take a hit. Usually 55MPH is about the best speed for gas (depends) but doing 55 on I-10 is not that likely

Depending on the car, sometimes just altering a few MPH in speed will make a big difference in consumption (like doing 73 vs 77). But for most rental cars, figuring 20MPG is on the safe side (you'll probably get better). Also gas will be a lot cheaper outside of califronia. I doubt you'll see $3/gal but that will depend on when you do this run.

For example when I drive through IA and NE, gas is always cheaper than other states ... and amazingly enough 89 gas is sometimes about 10 cents cheaper than 87 gas over there (since they put 10% ethanol in there).
                this post = teh win.

Comment

Sounds like a good summer trip. I would definitely fly back though.

Comment

And for 6k, I'd rather goto Spain.

Comment

Working...
                    X