Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

U.S. Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Government

(This is a persuasive essay I wrote about the U.S. government's abuse of power, and the specific problem governmental issue of the war with Iraq)

What is a fair government? Many people might say that our government, the U.S. government, is “fair”, but if we really want to see if this is true, we need to define “fair”. According to the dictionary, “fair” is defined as “consistent with rules; permissible”. Now, does this definition correspond to your government? If it followed the rules, our Constitution, and if it only did what it had permission to do, then yes, it would be fair. But unfortunately, this is not the case. Apparently, appointing officials during a Senate recess, starting meaningless wars with Iraq without sufficient authority (and lying about it), and firing U.S. attorneys for the sake of “politics” is “fair”. Vice President xxxx Cheney states, “I think we’ve done the right thing. I think we’re doing the right thing now.” Are you buying any of this? Are the citizens of the U.S. buying any of this? Supposedly, we are, because I don’t see many actions being taken for this “fairness”, do you? Anyway, the government’s most important and most deplorable act of “fairness” is its war with Iraq, which is amazingly still happening right now! Do you want to know why this “necessary” war is so important to stop? Well obviously, war causes injuries, deaths, property damage, etc. But the long-term reason, the reason that will cause future problems if we ignore this, is the government’s gradual accumulation of power and corruption, and its self-image of supremacy and absolute authority. These were already the original cause of the war. If you don’t believe that the war is promoting these soon-to-be causers of governmental chaos, then listen and listen well.

Why did this war start anyway? Was it because of 9/11? Was it because of terrorism? Was it because of Saddam Hussein and his weapons of mass destruction? These may be the reasons “stated by the government” and these may be minor causes, but the real motive, the one that President George Bush is hiding, is absolute power and control. Isn’t there a wise saying about that? The one that states that “absolute power corrupts absolutely”. Anyway, Bush wants this power and control by using the war as a decoy to gain the diminishing remains of our government’s greatest addiction, fossil fuels, before it has to give it up cold turkey. This also makes sense since George Bush Jr. owns the oil company. Is this a coincidence? Highly unlikely. So, if you think thousands of U.S. soldiers and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis died, and are still dying, for “the common good of your country”, the pathetic, unfortunate truth is that they are being sacrificed for our President’s addiction to power. Now, does this seem very ethical to you?

Since the reasons of the war and the war itself are so corruptive, why aren’t we doing anything about it? I mean, the U.S. isn’t communist, is it? So, why are we letting all these people die for the sake of a power hungry President? Aren’t the other branches of government supposed to check and control the executive branch? What happened to the idea of checks and balances? Anyway, since the government isn’t doing anything to stop Bush’s “war on terror”, evidently, he is going to use this as an advantage to promote more power and authority until he is stopped. Hasn’t the executive branch gained enough power throughout our history? For example, Jackson and his victorious destruction of the bank. And let’s not forget Polk and his ambitious desire for Mexico’s previously owned lands. When are we going to break this destructive chain?

Speaking of destructive, if the government doesn’t stop creating wars “to stop terrorism” and if it doesn’t stop trying to control other countries and their actions, it will lead to our country’s self-destruction, if not other countries’. Didn’t our first President, George Washington, advise us to remain neutral with foreign policy, which means the relations with the governments of other countries? It seems like Bush has a completely different agenda, in fact, a hidden agenda. This hidden agenda of our leader, so to speak, reminds me of a book called Animal Farm, in which the leader of the animals, Napoleon, continued to repetitively disobey and secretly change the rules on which the government was supposedly based on. Reminds you of a certain President, doesn’t it? At the end of the story, the laws don’t resemble the original laws whatsoever! In fact, in a sense, the new laws were the exact opposite of the original. Now, I don’t know about you, but I definitely don’t want the system and regulations of our government, which our Founding Fathers created, to be changed and corrupted, do you?

We always hear that if the government takes our U.S. troops out of Iraq and ends the war, the Middle East’s terrorism will resume and the U.S. will be in danger of another attack like 9/11. But, how does this “reason” make sense if Osama bin Laden tells us in a taped message, that “the United States can avoid another September 11 attack if it stops threatening the security of Muslims” and that “he ordered the September 11, 2001, attacks… because of injustices against the Lebanese and Palestinians by Israel and the United States”. Do you see that Bush’s provided reasons for continuing the war are actually the effects of the government’s actions in the Middle East, like the war? Do you see that all of these are the results of our President’s inability to understand our first President’s warning of the misuse of foreign policy? Now do you understand what kind of situation we are in and how crucial it is for us to get involved?!

Thus, I am imploring you to take actions for this problem that keeps inflating and inflating until it will eventually explode and create a huge mess. We need to stop this growing issue before it reaches a point at which it can’t be stopped from erupting! So, we need to start resolving it by sending messages to the government regarding this issue, by arranging protests, strikes, petitions, and demonstrations that would eventually, if done correctly, force the government to repair this problem, and by creating speeches and presentations to inform and encourage other citizens. Even though these require some effort, does it matter if it improves our country and keeps it alive? Thank you for your time.

Re: U.S. Government

By the way "Animal Farm" was an analogy of the Bolshevik revolution. For your school assignment, I think you did a good job. There is a lot more to it than the current executive branch though.

Comment

It was good, Elia...

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
        By the way "Animal Farm" was an analogy of the Bolshevik revolution. For your school assignment, I think you did a good job. There is a lot more to it than the current executive branch though.
        Thank you! The "Animal Farm" idea was one of my best examples... And there is definitely corruption in the other branches as well, but this essay was mainly for Bush and his administration.

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
        It was good, Elia...
        Շնորհակալ եմ, Լուսին ճան։
        Last edited by Էլիա; 05-03-2007, 07:27 AM.

Comment

that's great!

Comment

Originally posted by tamara48 View Post
            that's great!
            Thanks, what was your favorite part?

Comment

I liked it but I feel as though you use the word "anyway" too much (anyway, reverts attention from one thing to another so it takes away emphasis that you tried to put into your essay before) and you asked a lot of rhetorical questions but did not direct the audience towards an answer with a lot of support (like a lot of specific examples). I think that if you did this your essay would be much more persuasive. All in all, (for a little kid) you did just fine).

(just pretend that the hands touch together and make a clapping sound)

Comment

Originally posted by sev_zeytun View Post
                (just pretend that the hands touch together and make a clapping sound)
                loool nice1

Comment

Originally posted by Էլիա View Post
                  (This is a persuasive essay I wrote about the U.S. government's abuse of power, and the specific problem governmental issue of the war with Iraq)

What is a fair government? Many people might say that our government, the U.S. government, is “fair”, but if we really want to see if this is true, we need to define “fair”. According to the dictionary, “fair” is defined as “consistent with rules; permissible”. Now, does this definition correspond to your government? If it followed the rules, our Constitution, and if it only did what it had permission to do, then yes, it would be fair. But unfortunately, this is not the case. Apparently, appointing officials during a Senate recess, starting meaningless wars with Iraq without sufficient authority (and lying about it), and firing U.S. attorneys for the sake of “politics” is “fair”. Vice President xxxx Cheney states, “I think we’ve done the right thing. I think we’re doing the right thing now.” Are you buying any of this? Are the citizens of the U.S. buying any of this? Supposedly, we are, because I don’t see many actions being taken for this “fairness”, do you? Anyway, the government’s most important and most deplorable act of “fairness” is its war with Iraq, which is amazingly still happening right now! Do you want to know why this “necessary” war is so important to stop? Well obviously, war causes injuries, deaths, property damage, etc. But the long-term reason, the reason that will cause future problems if we ignore this, is the government’s gradual accumulation of power and corruption, and its self-image of supremacy and absolute authority. These were already the original cause of the war. If you don’t believe that the war is promoting these soon-to-be causers of governmental chaos, then listen and listen well.

Why did this war start anyway? Was it because of 9/11? Was it because of terrorism? Was it because of Saddam Hussein and his weapons of mass destruction? These may be the reasons “stated by the government” and these may be minor causes, but the real motive, the one that President George Bush is hiding, is absolute power and control. Isn’t there a wise saying about that? The one that states that “absolute power corrupts absolutely”. Anyway, Bush wants this power and control by using the war as a decoy to gain the diminishing remains of our government’s greatest addiction, fossil fuels, before it has to give it up cold turkey. This also makes sense since George Bush Jr. owns the oil company. Is this a coincidence? Highly unlikely. So, if you think thousands of U.S. soldiers and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis died, and are still dying, for “the common good of your country”, the pathetic, unfortunate truth is that they are being sacrificed for our President’s addiction to power. Now, does this seem very ethical to you?

Since the reasons of the war and the war itself are so corruptive, why aren’t we doing anything about it? I mean, the U.S. isn’t communist, is it? So, why are we letting all these people die for the sake of a power hungry President? Aren’t the other branches of government supposed to check and control the executive branch? What happened to the idea of checks and balances? Anyway, since the government isn’t doing anything to stop Bush’s “war on terror”, evidently, he is going to use this as an advantage to promote more power and authority until he is stopped. Hasn’t the executive branch gained enough power throughout our history? For example, Jackson and his victorious destruction of the bank. And let’s not forget Polk and his ambitious desire for Mexico’s previously owned lands. When are we going to break this destructive chain?

Speaking of destructive, if the government doesn’t stop creating wars “to stop terrorism” and if it doesn’t stop trying to control other countries and their actions, it will lead to our country’s self-destruction, if not other countries’. Didn’t our first President, George Washington, advise us to remain neutral with foreign policy, which means the relations with the governments of other countries? It seems like Bush has a completely different agenda, in fact, a hidden agenda. This hidden agenda of our leader, so to speak, reminds me of a book called Animal Farm, in which the leader of the animals, Napoleon, continued to repetitively disobey and secretly change the rules on which the government was supposedly based on. Reminds you of a certain President, doesn’t it? At the end of the story, the laws don’t resemble the original laws whatsoever! In fact, in a sense, the new laws were the exact opposite of the original. Now, I don’t know about you, but I definitely don’t want the system and regulations of our government, which our Founding Fathers created, to be changed and corrupted, do you?

We always hear that if the government takes our U.S. troops out of Iraq and ends the war, the Middle East’s terrorism will resume and the U.S. will be in danger of another attack like 9/11. But, how does this “reason” make sense if Osama bin Laden tells us in a taped message, that “the United States can avoid another September 11 attack if it stops threatening the security of Muslims” and that “he ordered the September 11, 2001, attacks… because of injustices against the Lebanese and Palestinians by Israel and the United States”. Do you see that Bush’s provided reasons for continuing the war are actually the effects of the government’s actions in the Middle East, like the war? Do you see that all of these are the results of our President’s inability to understand our first President’s warning of the misuse of foreign policy? Now do you understand what kind of situation we are in and how crucial it is for us to get involved?!

Thus, I am imploring you to take actions for this problem that keeps inflating and inflating until it will eventually explode and create a huge mess. We need to stop this growing issue before it reaches a point at which it can’t be stopped from erupting! So, we need to start resolving it by sending messages to the government regarding this issue, by arranging protests, strikes, petitions, and demonstrations that would eventually, if done correctly, force the government to repair this problem, and by creating speeches and presentations to inform and encourage other citizens. Even though these require some effort, does it matter if it improves our country and keeps it alive? Thank you for your time.
                  I don't see a better Country in the world then the USA. I love Armenia and Armenians, but I don't hate US. In my opinion they have helped Armenia a lot. Is the USA perfect, no, and no one else is either. They helped our people with food when they were in dire need. My parents were there at the time as were many of our people were after the genocide of the Armenians.

I consider us lucky that the USA took in my parents and other Armenians. Also many of you who are on this forum. I think it is a shame that some of you who live here in the US are so venomous toward this country.

I consider myself an Armenian Nationalist and am very proud of our people. I never heard the dislike from the older Armenians as I do from some of you. We were able to raise our children here and also help Armenia all these years, I for one appreciate the US.

Respectfully

Avak

Comment

Originally posted by Էլիա View Post

telling mr.president's oil company was so good.i liked your example,animal farm is a really good book.it was a good job,i think you like writing,i liked your style.

Comment

Working...
                    X